Watford Finescale show 2014

hayfield

All of a sudden the annual Watford Finescale show is upon us, always well received by all who come as it has a wide variety of layouts to suite most tastes.

This year  starts at 10:30 on Saturday the 15 th of February closes at 5:30

Re-opens at 10:00 on Sunday morning to 16:30

Venue Parmiters School, High Elms Lane, Watford, Hertfordshire.  WD25 0UU

The following layouts have been booked to attend Watford Finescale Show 2014:-

• Abingdon Branch  (OO)  Classic GWR branch terminus
  • Alkham  (EM)  BR Steam, Kent location
  • Ashington  (OO)  SR Electric 1960’s – Green EMU’s
  • Bodmin  (P4)  GWR in Cornwall, china clay trains
  • Brimscombe  (N)  BR Swindon/Gloucester
  • Callowland (P4)  North Watford BR 1980’s Own club layout
  • Fisherton Sarum  (OO)  Southern Railway 1947-8
  • Foxup  (P4)  Midland/LNWR in the Pennines
  • Hemyock  (S7)  GWR branch line
  • Little Binfield  (OO) Light Railway, Col Stephens 1920’s
  • Mulldal  (O-16.5)  Freelance industrial shunting
  • Nictun 2000  (OO)  Modern Image diesels
  • Prospect Point  (HO)  American logging layout
  • Wansbeck Road  (2mmFS)  BR 1957-62 Durham Colliery Village
  • Weslo Steels  (EM)  Modern Image diesel shunting
  • Westcliff GW  (EM)  GWR on Dorset Coast

These traders have been booked to attend Watford Finescale Show 2014:-

• Ambis Engineering
  • Bill Hudson Transport Books
  • C & L Finescale
  • Ceynix Railway Trees
  • Comet Models
  • D & E/DC Kits
  • David Newband (Books)
  • Eileen’s Emporium
  • H & A Models
  • Hobby Holidays
  • Layouts 4U
  • London Road Models
  • Model Railway Developments
  • Radley Models
  • Roger Carpenter Photgraphs
  • Three Counties Models
  • Wizard Models

As can be seen some RMweb members will be there with their layouts

I'd forgotten this was now a February show.....

No doubt the catering will still be depressing. I still suspect the chicken burger last year contained elements of horse :-(

Several years now, pity it clashes with a few other shows but the school likes it the first weekend of the half term so it has plenty of time to clear away after.

It is one of the best venues for our purposes in the area as the viewing areas are well connected. Last year there was more room for refreshments which was well received by the public as the food is very good. For those with transport , free parking, relative easy access with no need to go near the town centre. Public transport from both St Albans and Watford town centres and railway stations, shortish brisk walk from the bus stop but the coffee is good upon arrival.

Nice friendly atmosphere and well worth a visit whatever scale / gauge interests you. Good trade support as you can see

I have to disagree with this bit. I found it unappetising last year - mass catering at its worst. Even prisoners get served better quality than that.

Horsetan

Sorry to hear that, the meals I have had over both days (both first thing and lunchtime) last year and at previous shows were super. We had lots of positive feed back, but I guess there will always be the odd time when a meal may not be up to the customers satisfaction. I am certain the catering manager would welcome feed back as they are in the business to make money and rely on repeat business from past customers. Please feel free to PM me with the details and I will pass it on to the show manager, would have been better had we known at the time though. Hopefully its was a one off

The catering team have already done that. My report here, top of page 5

I still have a photo of the offending "burger".....

Horsetan

I kept away from the burgers as being there all day I needed something a bit more nourishing. May I suggest that you try something other than a burger as all the food I have had has been very good. I think you may have just have been unlucky. Sorry

• 3 weeks later...

The catering team have already done that. My report here, top of page 5

I still have a photo of the offending "burger".....

I mentioned this to the show manager and the catering team (schools chefs and staff) hope not only to increase the eating area but also the variety of food available, hopefully this will not be repeated this year. I have some photos to up load which I will do this weekend

I may attend this one. The mix of layouts and traders looks to be 'my kind of thing'. I've seen Westcliff before and would happily watch it for a couple more hours.

I think the emphasis has always been for it to be a modellers show, both in the layouts chosen and also the veriaty / mix of traders

• 4 weeks later...

Dave 

It should be quite straight forward, from Watford Junction take either a 321 bus or 724 Green Line (not too certain about the Greenline) but there is a large bus station  outside the train station.Ask for High Elms lane, though it is also for Watford Crematorium and of course Parmiters school. Shortish brisk walk from the bus stop.

If you have an android phone and for those with sat navs WD25 0UU is the post code

Dont forget tp pre order your C&L/Exactoscale track parts as I dont know how much stock Peter is bringing with him. The large stand will be there.

Here is a list of the traders attending, so plenty of stands to spend your money at.

• Ambis Engineering        Bill Hudson Transport Books       C & L Finescale
  • Ceynix Railway Trees    Comet Models                            D & E/DC Kits
  • David Newband (Books)  Eileen’s Emporium                   H & A Models
  • Hobby Holidays           Layouts 4U                                 London Road Models
  • Model Railway Developments  Radley Models                 Roger Carpenter Photgraphs
  • Three Counties Models    Wizard Models

More importantly here are the layouts, nice selection of both scales and gauges

• Abingdon Branch  (OO)  Classic GWR branch terminus                             Alkham  (EM)  BR Steam, Kent location
  • Ashington  (OO)  SR Electric 1960’s – Green EMU’s                                   Bodmin  (P4)  GWR in Cornwall, china clay trains
  • Brimscombe  (N)  BR Swindon/Gloucester                                                Callowland (P4)  North Watford BR 1980’s Own club layout
  • Fisherton Sarum  (OO)  Southern Railway 1947-8                                    Foxup  (P4)  Midland/LNWR in the Pennines
  • Hemyock  (S7)  GWR branch line                                                              Little Binfield  (O) Light Railway, Col Stephens 1920’s
  • Mulldal  (O-16.5)  Freelance industrial shunting                                        Nictun 2000  (OO)  Modern Image diesels
  • Prospect Point  (HO)  American logging layout                                         Wansbeck Road  (2mmFS)  BR 1957-62 Durham Colliery Village
  • Weslo Steels  (EM)  Modern Image diesel shunting                                   Westcliff GW  (EM)  GWR on Dorset Coast

Is there any advice on getting there by public transport? Ideally bus/walk from a Watford station. I've looked for recommendations but even the school only offers driving and school bus options.

Thanks

Da

I went via Brickett Wod station a couple of years ago and wouldn't recommend it because of the difficultiy negotiating the A405 dual carriageway at the bottom of High Elms Lane.

If you go via Garston station the walk is similar distance but crossing the dual carriageway would be much safer.

I went via Brickett Wod station a couple of years ago and wouldn't recommend it because of the difficultiy negotiating the A405 dual carriageway at the bottom of High Elms Lane.

If you go via Garston station the walk is similar distance but crossing the dual carriageway would be much safer.

Using either the 321 or green line is best, walking from either Garston or Bricket Wood is miles, hats off to anyone who has done it.

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=34359741582

Link showing 321 from Luton via St Albans and to Watford. You could travel to Garston station then walk to the 321 bus stop, but thats still a long way

Archived