Watford Finescale show 2014

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

I certainly enjoyed exhibiting with Fisherton Sarum which must have missed your camera David.  It's certainly a shame more visitors did not attend as I feel they missed an excellent show with a great line up of layouts.

The Saturday certainly appeared quieter than the Sunday which may have possibly been due to the weather but as the Milton Keynes show just up the M1 appeared to have a good number on the Saturday maybe a review of the publicity for the show needs to be considered?

What's one of those?  :rolleyes:

Chris

A train station is either a small affair, with a bus shelter plonked on it,

or a retail outlet opportunity for coffee shops who want to charge excessive prices for their wares

In both cases, an overpriced transport company may occasionally run trains, or replacement buses.

On the wall of these places, you will sometimes see something called a "timetable"

This is a publicly viewable document, which is intended to amuse onlookers while they wait for late trains,

and confuse tourists into thinking the trains will adhere to such times as printed

;)

The question was asked above why people chose not to attend so these are my own reasons. Like most I have finite time and resources and although I try to model with a 'Finescale frame of mind' I chose to go to the Milton Keynes exhibition on the Saturday (and really enjoyed it). There was some excellent modelling on show (em gauge Milton Quays and great train robbery etc) but I also enjoy a lot of the more fun exhibits (the tinplate and Lego) which I think are there to make it a more rounded day out for families.

I will get my 'fix' of finescale traders at the Railex show in Aylesbury in a couple of months as they seem to have a greater range of finescale traders compared to what was on offer at Watford. While what was on offer at Watford looked superb, it was a bit small and limited to encourage me to go the extra distance, it seems strange to me that it was a 2 day show?

VB

I certainly enjoyed exhibiting with Fisherton Sarum which must have missed your camera David.  ...

Yes it missed my camera, but I didn't miss it. The problem was that my technique requires either a tripod (which isn't recommended when a show is busy, or a layout is in a busy part of a show) or a monopod but then I have to use the fascia of the layout to steady the monopod. At Watford a number of layouts used a crowd barrier which prevented my from gaining access to the fascia and this includes Fisherton Sarum. My solution was to 'do' these on Sunday morning before the show opened, but I came down with a truly nasty cold on Saturday night so I cried off for Sunday. I'm now on my fourth box of tissues in spite of taking paracetomol and yesterday my grandson said I looked like Rudolph.

Never mind, there's always another show, and Fisherton Sarum is a super model. I'm sure I'll see it again.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, I should have used an emoticon, I am sorry that you have been under the weather and also sorry that we didn't actually manage to catch up in person at the show. As you say I'm sure our paths will cross again soon.

Archived