Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

The only problem is that I cant see the signal anywhere else in this photo. I cant see it between the point and the double slip. Ive studied this shot a print from the negative under an eye glass. The other reason I looked so hard in this area was to determine if it was a ground signal or one on a post.

post-27-0-09854900-1455476162_thumb.jpg

I dont trust the drawing as it was wrong in position of other signals.

I dont think it was positioned to the left of what I think would be the exit road as it would then be close to the 3 arm shunt signal and could maybe seen as confusing? So they positioned it on the right hand side? That in itself is nothing unusual for a ground signal.

I think if the point was controlled by the box then it would make a lot more sense.

It could be Clive, just watch out as those two views are about 40 years apart and lots of things changed.

But then it asks the question what is what I think is the ground signal?

Also its close to the telephone about an engine length.

Edited by Michael Delamar

To exit the shed, my thinking is that you would phone the box, he would put you what is shown as the arrival line on the plan if he had nothing already on it. Or one of the old sidings in the case of this fairburn.

You would then go behind this signal.

post-27-0-58319500-1455480160_thumb.jpg

Then you could go down to Huskisson or if you needed to go east go behind this 3 arm shunt signal which would control you to Aintree, Halewood or back on to the arrival.

post-27-0-14776100-1455479579_thumb.jpg

Can see the telephone in this shot.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To exit the shed, my thinking is that you would phone the box, he would put you what is shown as the arrival line on the plan if he had nothing already on it.

You would then go behind this signal.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then you could go down to Huskisson or if you needed to go east go behind this 3 arm shunt signal which would control you to Aintree, Halewood or back on to the arrival.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Can see the telephone in this shot.

Hi Michael

I sort of understand where you are coming from. It would be nice to find a photo and the signal box diagram relating to the period you are modelling, but I am sure you have looked hard enough to find them. It is 44 that I am also thinking of.

Could the telephone be related to the triple shunting signals? That are not numbered on the box diagram :rtfm:

Just spotted on ebay a photograph of a J10 in a siding alongside Walton shed . If you search on the site 'J10 LNER locomotive' it should bring it up . Not sure it's of any use to your research but thought I would mention it to you.

Excellent layout coming together now

Just as a matter of interest were you involved in a layout years ago called ' Walton & Anfield'  which I remember on the exhibition circuit at the time

Hi

I was one of the two people who built and exhibited Walton and Anfield.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The triple shunt signal isnt numbered on the plan, but then neither is the one in the fairburn shot, I think the plan is confusing some issues slightly.

Hi Michael

I had noticed they were not numbered and there is no indication which lines they signal, not the best plan I have seen. It is also strange that the five sidings the Fairburn is on are numbered 1 to 4 but the line next to the arrival line is not numbered or named.

I like to work around a signal plan counting the point and signal numbers in order. Normally the spares are listed, so when I am stuck for number 23 I check the spares list. It sounds daft but I think I have learned more about how signalling is laid out by doing so than I have by reading books etc.

• Like 1

Michael Delamar i stumbled upon this site by accident, after reading about Walton On The Hill Station at Disused Stations website, wandered the tunnels on Subterranea Britannica site... , followed the line on Old Maps uk  and Google Earth, and Google images, which brought me here, when i clicked on a pic ..  Its been an eye opener to see the research and dedication, easily as much as was employed to build the line... i think...as has been employed by yourself and good friends,  remarkable to read the story page by page , itself a history book.. that is a credit to RM web to enable its sharing, i think..   This bit of railway history isnt near me, or part of my own or family history..  yet i see coming to life again in a really unique and special way... Thanks for making my day, i look forward to seeing the completed layout...  

• Like 1

it didnt look like this. ive not made the entrances and exit ramps correct, and the waiting room chimney ive misplaced,,,   :)  i just got caught up in the drama of the scene,,,   i might try and reverse engineer it again and put the engine and train  on the West Derby station photo i used to make this.

station8.jpg

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 2

Thanks to 2 rmweb members I've managed to get hold of parts to build one of my favorite classes. A fowler class 4p tank. Using the later Hornby body with its nicer lining rather than the 1980s body and a Comet chassis.

One or 2 were allocated to Walton at one time although the Fairburn and Stanier types were more common. They were also allocated to Gorton so would have ran in.

It joins the queue in the works.

post-27-0-19262700-1456748974_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Most of the work at the moment is underneath. Wiring of the track and fitting the servos.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi MIke,

Don't forget to locate the GF Controllers for the signals in a position where you can reach the adjusters whilst seeing the signals clearly.

I know from experience how difficult it is lying under our clubs layout, with another member saying "Up a Bit; Down a Bit". :nono:

Steve.

• Like 1

Mike,

Apart from the nicer lining, what other improvements have been made to the Fowler tank body?

Rgds,

Its quite a lot nicer, it still looks like the original body which was nice anyway but they've added sprung buffers, opening cab roof hatch, finer and more handrails all round. Mine will be renumbered and probably a later crest but it was just the lining that I couldnt be bothered to do, the finish on this one is excellent. Some people dont like the thick plastic cab opening but I dont notice it, I dont think its that bad. Havent decided what im doing with the chassis yet, think it will have some sort of suspension, my chassis jig is still set up for my J39 which isnt finished yet however.

On the layout, last night a loco was running round on the first wired board which is the curved one the Fazakerley junction end for the first time. All frogs on the juicers working, just need to install the servos.

post-27-0-93451000-1456918813_thumb.jpg

• Like 1