Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

Plenty done tonight, all legs on the fiddle yard boards are on and their adjustable leg feet. The main scenic boards have also had the adjustable feet fitted and they are set up nowcwith the fiddle yard boards stored underneath, trackwork should be able to start from now on.

post-27-0-37569100-1431725730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 9

None its just going to be a pit, the turntable was taken out of use early on and locos turned on the triangle. although id still like to find out more info on the turntable, its the only thing I havent got any photos of.

Next thing to cut out are the inspection pits for the shed,4 rows, as 2 were filled in at a later date.

To do this tonight i've glued and screwed a piece of 9mm ply underneath and once that is dry in a few days I will cut out the inspection pits with a jigsaw, that will be the right depth,then i'll fix another piece underneath to form the floor. There is also a siding near the coaling stage that has a pit and ive fixed a piece under that line also.

post-27-0-67525100-1433280067_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-54085300-1433280080_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-90824400-1433280093_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-02666400-1433280109_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slow progress but still progress, im not in any rush.

Chris has delivered a couple of new points and is constructing others.

I am working on Walton's only class 08. It is a hybrid of a Bachmann chassis and Hornby body, Ultrascale wheels and soon to be Legobiffoman sound. The reason for the hybrid is I believe the Bachmann chassis easier to convert to EM and thats what Ultrascales I have but I also prefer the Hornby body. It will have its ends painted plain green as per the real thing at the period.

I do have a set of brassmasters coupling rods for it which ive put away in a safe place, that safe that I cant find them at the moment.

post-27-0-47808500-1438111408_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

post-3520-0-43952700-1438157770_thumb.jpg

Slow progress but still progress, im not in any rush.

Chris has delivered a couple of new points and is constructing others.

I am working on Walton's only class 08. It is a hybrid of a Bachmann chassis and Hornby body, Ultrascale wheels and soon to be Legobiffoman sound. The reason for the hybrid is I believe the Bachmann chassis easier to convert to EM and thats what Ultrascales I have but I also prefer the Hornby body. It will have its ends painted plain green as per the real thing at the period.
I do have a set of brassmasters coupling rods for it which ive put away in a safe place, that safe that I cant find them at the moment.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Or in Black?

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Making a start on the signals.....

When Mike started planning this layout, some time ago, he asked me to build the signals for him.

I've now started to do so, and I'll be reporting on my progress in my "Signalling" topic.

See  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1971971

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been cutting out the shed pits, I did try to do this with a jigsaw but it was no good as the blade was bending so I have invested in a mini circular saw. The longest part was all the measuring, making a template then screwing down a guide for the saw to run along. Quick shot below with the shed placed on top, the pits havent been dressed with any files just yet.

post-27-0-50762100-1439931289_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-56005000-1439931319_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

The pits are done, as are the ash pits outside the shed, ill get some shots soon. This has been holding up track laying.

In the meantime id like to share Steve Hewitt's photos of the signals he has built for me. More photos can be seen in the link he provided above.

post-27-0-31162300-1442499949.jpg

I am now trying to make sense of the ground signals. I have some signalling diagrams, im not sure I trust these 100% and they are either too early or late a period but its all i have.

Im pretty certain that the exit out of the coal yard (Walton goods sidings) was a 2, one route giving the road up the neck or out on to the mainline. Its the entrance and exit to the shed that is a little bit more uncertain. It doesnt help that the shed layout isnt drawn properly but from what I can gather there was an arrival road for the shed and that will be on the layout but the various crossovers wont as they will be "off stage" in the fiddle yard if needed.

Steve's signals are no 4,5 and 42 on second diagram below.

post-27-0-62929000-1442500380_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-35863700-1442500404_thumb.jpg

This last one is from when the line was singled and the shed taken away but the coal yard was still in use, ive included it for interest, now 3 on the ground signal leaving the yard.

post-27-0-64153200-1442500440_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

This signal wont be on the layout but I was trying to make sense of it and think im right now? It doesnt have a number on the plan above but is near the turntable. The photo was taken from Fazakerley West signal box.

I think the left hand arm is for leaving old sidings 1-4. The fairburn is standing on siding 2, you can see a point lever to the right of shot.

The right hand arm is for the arrival road.

Top arm for accessing the shed, bottom arm for the down main line.

post-27-0-93252400-1442653377.jpg

• Like 1

This is an early shot when the signals were CLC lower quadrant, can just see the bracket signal Steve built at the bottom right, The signals to leave the coal sidings were mounted on a post next to the bracket signal rather than on the ground. But they may have been replaced by the period i am modelling.

Im also not sure why the neck for the coal siding had 2 exits.

post-27-0-63440000-1442662185_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My jigsaw blades bend when trying to cut to a depth approaching that which the saw has for maximum capacity, and when forcing the cut.

But a mini-circular saw is a nice piece of kit, I have a WORX one with plunge cut and adjustable depth. It works really well for cutting floorboards without touching pipes/electrics underneath.

Edited by JeffP