RMweb

Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

Frustrating.!!!

I wait with eager anticipation for this model for 2 years, then the model arrived at my pals locally, who has a Hattons account, on the very day I left for a weeks holiday in Wales.

The reviews and comments sound great and add to frustration, so really have something to look forward to on my return.

Had to satisfy my railway needs with a trip on the Gwili Railway near Camarthen yesterday.

Bob

May be the same as the normal 9F....worth checking the service sheets on the Hornby site.

Lendons of Cardiff site also has the service sheets as well as the spares they have in stock listed.

I haven't been able to find service sheets for either yet. I have put in a "complaint" (their choice of word) to Hornby; I await a reply. As an ex-service engineer for them, I have had success in getting odd parts from cannibalised returns, rather that swopping for a replacement under warranty. The class 31 in particular.

Stewart

• Like 1

The Crosti does not appear to have the same Service sheet as the Chinese built 9F, for the latter, the geartrain is X9909

The link takes you to the Crosti service sheet and the The part number for the Crosti  geartrain is X6714.

http://www.Hornby.com/media/partsandspares/schematics/1436400000/HSS414CrostiBoiler9F_1436450480.pdf

Edited by Pandora

I haven't been able to find service sheets for either yet. I have put in a "complaint" (their choice of word) to Hornby; I await a reply. As an ex-service engineer for them, I have had success in getting odd parts from cannibalised returns, rather that swopping for a replacement under warranty. The class 31 in particular.

Stewart

Both service sheets are on Lendons of Cardiff site, I couldn't find the Crosti on the Hornby website either.

I've recently seen a pic of one on Peterborough East shed (can't find it now though!). That to me is an excuse to invoke Rule 1 for East Anglia - likewise for BG's  working through to Whittlesey.

Stewart

Something in the back of my mind says I've seen a pic of one at March shed as well, but can't remember where! Might have been a rebuild though, and not at all unlikely on a coal working from Toton.

John.

• Like 1

Both service sheets are on Lendons of Cardiff site, I couldn't find the Crosti on the Hornby website either.

This caught me out as well. They don't seem to be listed under downloads but if you go to the screens for various models, there is a tab for the relevant service sheet. I found a lot of "missing" service sheets this way.

• RMweb Premium

Just coal and lamps to add, these will be done at a later date.

attachicon.gif92021_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif92021_rhfan.jpg

I've given her another running in session on my layout and had her quite happily pulling a short rake (ducks for cover) of Maunsells at fairly low speed, with no stalling on points.

An in-depth step-by-step "how to" feature as a separate thread would go down a storm....pretty please?

Just had a look on Lendon's site for X6714, seems not listed as an available spare (yet?). A Google search also proved fruitless, so over to you Hornby Service Dept.

Stewart

From what I can gather from looking at all of the Hornby spares suppliers sites, no spares seem to be available for anything after the P2 release or thereabouts......

The X9909 Railroad 9F gears are listed at Lendons and as being in stock.

This caught me out as well. They don't seem to be listed under downloads but if you go to the screens for various models, there is a tab for the relevant service sheet. I found a lot of "missing" service sheets this way.

That's useful to know!

Makes you wonder why they don't put them in the right place!

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Hornby have been looking at past sales figures (and profit margins) for Railroad & Super-Detailed variants of previous loco releases.  Perhaps they may be of the view that the increasing prices of locos cannot be sustained forever and have therefore decided to release the Crosti as a Railroad version, slightly souped up in places in the hope that it would keep the majority happy?  It'd be interesting to know if Hornby have any plans to do a SD version in the future...

One idea - perhaps Hornby could consider doing locos as Railroad variants (but with all "difficult" bits such as paintwork & especially lining) fully finished.  And then offer a "Super Detailing Accessory Pack" to give serious enthusiasts the option of upgrading the Railroad version to a highly detailed model.  Just an idea.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's useful to know!

Makes you wonder why they don't put them in the right place!

Technically they have. Makes a lot more sense to me to have the relevant Service sheet attached to its specific model, rather than having to go searching through 4-5 different pages to find the correct sheet.

Technically they have. Makes a lot more sense to me to have the relevant Service sheet attached to its specific model, rather than having to go searching through 4-5 different pages to find the correct sheet.

Possibly, but if you have a specific part of your website headed "Service sheets", wouldn't you expect to find them there too?

Yes but then you still have to search through 4 or 5 pages to find the correct one. There are multiple Castle sheets, multiply A1/A3 and A4 sheets. Makes sense the way there now doing it.

I didn't disagree....I simply said that if you had a section called Service Sheets, wouldn't you expect to find them there as well?........and it's only any use having them linked to the specific model page whilst that model is current.

Edited by pete55

It being a miserable wet Bank Holiday Monday my mind turned to nit-picking on livery detail for these locos.

The initial two releases are first, in original condition with no smoke deflector and early crest, and second with deflector and late crest. Its worth pointing out for those thinking of renumbering that some of the locos went to be "de-Crostied" still bearing the early crest on their tender, a very strong indicator that at no time in their lives as functioning Crostis with smoke deflectors did they carry the later style crest.

The Irwell Book of the 9F's is helpful here, and shows 92020, 92022, and 92029 in store prior to being "de-Crostied" still with early crests, there may of course be others. The same book shows 92021 as clearly bearing the late crest whilst still Crosti fitted. Of course the condition of the locos, plus the general practise of taking front three quarter photographs doesn't help research at all! 

(I think we may safely assume that as the smoke deflectors were fitted in late '55, early '56 no functioning Crosti without one ever carried the late crest.)

Maybe others can add to the confirmed views one way or the other, and apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

Yes. The socket is in the loco rather than the tender. I used a Lenz Standard +.

It seems smooth enough running backwards and forwards on a straight test track that I use. I'll see how it performs on my layout tomorrow.

Tony

As requested by Coachmann. I braved what passes for rain here in Essex and plonked the Crosti on my layout. This is basically a double loop round the garage with some point work. Tightest radius about 30". There was already a train of 50 assorted mineral wagons so I removed the Fowler 7F 2 8 0 and tried the Crosti. I haven't done any tweaks to the Decoder yet only changed the number. The loco moved off smoothly. It had no problems moving the wagons, and was able to pass without hesitation over the Peco large radius electrofrog code 75 points. Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

It being a miserable wet Bank Holiday Monday my mind turned to nit-picking on livery detail for these locos.

The initial two releases are first, in original condition with no smoke deflector and early crest, and second with deflector and late crest. Its worth pointing out for those thinking of renumbering that some of the locos went to be "de-Crostied" still bearing the early crest on their tender, a very strong indicator that at no time in their lives as functioning Crostis with smoke deflectors did they carry the later style crest.

The Irwell Book of the 9F's is helpful here, and shows 92020, 92022, and 92029 in store prior to being "de-Crostied" still with early crests, there may of course be others. The same book shows 92021 as clearly bearing the late crest whilst still Crosti fitted. Of course the condition of the locos, plus the general practise of taking front three quarter photographs doesn't help research at all! 

(I think we may safely assume that as the smoke deflectors were fitted in late '55, early '56 no functioning Crosti without one ever carried the late crest.)

Maybe others can add to the confirmed views one way or the other, and apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

John.

Crosti's were so crusty, it is hard to tell what crest they had most of the time lol.

I found a picture of 92028 still bearing an Early Crest in May 58 in Locomotives in Detail 7 (page 74) and in another book 92028 still had an Early Crest in September of the same year.

Maybe Hornby have been looking at past sales figures (and profit margins) for Railroad & Super-Detailed variants of previous loco releases.  Perhaps they may be of the view that the increasing prices of locos cannot be sustained forever and have therefore decided to release the Crosti as a Railroad version, slightly souped up in places in the hope that it would keep the majority happy?  It'd be interesting to know if Hornby have any plans to do a SD version in the future...

There's not a great deal they can do to the lining and finish in this instance which is where they've made the distinction in the past. But I could see an SD version coming with an alternate front bogie and some separate front steps, and maybe tender pickups (with the DCC socket moved back there).

• RMweb Premium

Considering they were non standard locos I'm a little surprised that they lasted as long as many standard 9Fs, the last ones withdrawn in Nov 1967, only (If I counted correctly) 18 normal ones outliving them in BR service.

I wonder whether the reduced power classification post Crosti made any difference to the rosters they were used on?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

When the next LC one arrives from my usual source (Hereford Model Centre) - I will do ;)

Seems to be the best deal around at present. I took the plunge and ordered earlier today as their stock levels seemed to be falling.

First time for me ordering from their e bay site.I suppose they reason they'll shift them quicker that way.

• Like 1