Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Still no sign of the GWR Hall class loco when we were at the railway on Monday.

From tomorrow, services will be running from Sheffield Psrk to Horsted Keynes only due to the expected hot weather.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Still no sign of the GWR Hall class loco when we were at the railway on Monday.

From tomorrow, services will be running from Sheffield Psrk to Horsted Keynes only due to the expected hot weather.

It was right down on the pump house siding last Friday. Generally the residence of naughty engines (and where the North London tank resided for many years) unless they are there for wash out. Is it known what caused it to be failed?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Dan Hamblin said:

The Hall has a leaking vacuum brake cylinder I understand and requires the bogie dropping to get it out for repair / replacement.

Regards,

Dan

So you mean the IR band is damaged, not a nice job, but rare for them to leak. 

The Bluebell was indeed steam operated today as it was the annual Nine Elms/Lost Boys/Southern Old Buffers annual day out. Locos were a Southern 0-6-0 with tender and a I think a Black Five. Services ran to East Grinstead, otherwise the 200plus retired old boys wouldn't be there. It was a good day for the bar takings.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

The Bluebell was indeed steam operated today as it was the annual Nine Elms/Lost Boys/Southern Old Buffers annual day out. Locos were a Southern 0-6-0 with tender and a I think a Black Five. Services ran to East Grinstead, otherwise the 200plus retired old boys wouldn't be there. It was a good day for the bar takings.

Q class 541 - http://www.maunsell.org.uk/pages/541.htm

BR Standard 5 (NOT a black 5) http://www.73082-camelot.com/

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2022 at 13:11, SR71 said:

While reduced distance the loco roster just posted confirms it is still steam

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/locomotive-roster/

To correct myself, the loco roster still says steam but the email newsletter just issued says;

"SERVICE NOTICE- 11TH TO 14TH AUGUST

Due to the expected hot weather up to and including Sunday 14th August, we will be running an amended diesel service, subject to weather conditions changing."

Sensible decision I think.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re the hosepipe ban,

Whilst the temporary use ban is in place, you must not:

• Water a garden using a hosepipe
  • Clean a private motor-vehicle (or a trailer for such a vehicle) using a hosepipe
  • Water plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe
  • Clean a private leisure boat using a hosepipe
  • Fill or maintain a domestic swimming or paddling pool
  • Draw water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use
  • Fill or maintain a domestic pond (manmade or natural) using a hosepipe
  • Fill or maintain an ornamental fountain (including a cascade or any other display of moving water, and includes filling by permanent plumbing)
  • Clean walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe
  • Clean paths or patios using a hosepipe
  • Clean other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe

Generally speaking, businesses may carry out some of these listed items if they are done as part of their usual business.

All Heritage Steam Railways could argue they are exempt, because using large volumes of water is part of their normal business. But it's bad PR, because said railways are running non-essential services in a leisure industry, and keen to demonstrate they are "socially responsible". Also, besides the explicit risk of fires in dry conditions, there's the implicit risk of insurance claims (on or by the railway) which could easily cause grief i.e. the claim being deemed invalid by the insurance provider because of "reckless behaviour" by the railway.

Elsewhere (on another railway blog) I've read some excellent rants:

"So what are the Bluebell railway management are doing this? Seemingly nothing! I see very little leadership from those who should be leading"

This is an excellent example of the "Must Do Something" fallacy, where those people expect and demand that leaders do something, without actually offering much in the way of constructive solutions. Many times, the wisest solution is to Do Nothing. In this case, pause normal operations for a while, saving the need to buy coal at record high prices, and let British Weather take its course. Soon we will be back to moaning how cold and wet it is, and reservoirs that are in danger because they are too full.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

I've found out a bit more about the Poplar failure, it happened approaching the station, managed to limp into the platform. Poplar had to be stripped down where it was to enable further movement. Not further information on the cause of the failure, those who need to know know. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Presumably because it's quite hard to set fire to puddles?

Yea but it's really hard to keep up boiler pressure when the ash pan is working as a water scoop.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

As of two days ago, 'Beachy Head' is a wheeled and boilered loco. A sight for sore eyes indeed. https://www.flickr.com/photos/169826404@N05/52288808477/

I still remember the thrill of reading the news article in Steam Railway back in the late 80s when the Maldon boilers were "found".  A "New-build" I really look forward to seeing in operation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I still remember the thrill of reading the news article in Steam Railway back in the late 80s when the Maldon boilers were "found".  A "New-build" I really look forward to seeing in operation.

Now THAT is something I've been looking forward to seeing. Awesome news indeed!

• RMweb Premium

I read with interest that the group building Beachy Head have decided against another new build loco. They were planning to build an SECR E class 4-4-0, citing the current long list of existing locos waiting repair.

Instead they are thinking about the Adam’s Radial tank 4-4-2T which will be a very popular choice on the railway (Although I think it could also be a very expensive rebuild.)

I think it’s probably a case of watch this space….

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Why not do a few 'new build' or 'Accountamcy Rebuild' coaches instead? If there's a group able to raise the funds. I did mention a Bulleid 3-set as being ideal for a line like the Bluebell on here a fair time ago however maybe in this case LSWR stock to make two others for the Radial to work with would be fitting 

That said seeing Beachy Head finally in steam will be a great sight. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 2