• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, SR71 said:

Did they ever decide whether Beachy Head would be mainline citified or did they just leave that door open (or indeed has it been closed?).

My understanding is that it has not been beuilt to the certification standard that would be required for main line running.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

My understanding is that it has not been beuilt to the certification standard that would be required for main line running.

What would/could be the build elements that might affect such a certification? I can only guess it would be things that might mean the design would be compromised from the original LBSC specifications, perhaps affecting appearance or operational effectiveness in some way. I imagine Tornado would have had those compromises?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

With one or two notable exceptions, it's generally accepted that a main line steam loco needs to be at least Class 5 to be able to haul an economic length train on the main line; the H2-class is 4P.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/08/2022 at 09:38, Ian J. said:

What would/could be the build elements that might affect such a certification? I can only guess it would be things that might mean the design would be compromised from the original LBSC specifications, perhaps affecting appearance or operational effectiveness in some way. I imagine Tornado would have had those compromises?

I think the cylinders are fabricated rather than cast, which is certainly a departure from original spec. Whether it would completely prohibit mainline running I don't know.

On 21/08/2022 at 09:39, Northmoor said:

With one or two notable exceptions, it's generally accepted that a main line steam loco needs to be at least Class 5 to be able to haul an economic length train on the main line; the H2-class is 4P.

This said, there have been a number of BR Class 4s on the mainline (albeit smaller number today)

76084 is Mainline certified and has run railtours on its own (and with other locos).

31806 is a Class 4 (indeed at the lower end) and is ML registered, in use by Swanage on the Wareham runs

78079 (albeit only Whitby, but previously more widely with Ian Riley), as was 80135 in its last ticket.

75014 was a regular mainline performer when NYMR based (incl on the West Highland line)

80079 and 80080 were also mainline certified in the 1990s and 2000s.

I'm surprised that there isn't a niche for Class 4 locos on shorter mainline itineraries, including London to Brighton (or even East Grinstead and onto the Bluebell...!). I would have thought a Class 4 or 5 mainline-certified loco on the Bluebell would be quite an attractive proposition to expand the scope of operations (noting of course that it would need a TOC to deliver the operations)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I think the cylinders are fabricated rather than cast, which is certainly a departure from original spec. Whether it would completely prohibit mainline running I don't know.

This said, there have been a number of BR Class 4s on the mainline (albeit smaller number today)

76084 is Mainline certified and has run railtours on its own (and with other locos).

31806 is a Class 4 (indeed at the lower end) and is ML registered, in use by Swanage on the Wareham runs

78079 (albeit only Whitby, but previously more widely with Ian Riley), as was 80135 in its last ticket.

75014 was a regular mainline performer when NYMR based (incl on the West Highland line)

I'm surprised that there isn't a niche for Class 4 locos on shorter mainline itineraries, including London to Brighton (or even East Grinstead and onto the Bluebell...!). I would have thought a Class 4 or 5 mainline-certified loco on the Bluebell would be quite an attractive proposition to expand the scope of operations (noting of course that it would need a TOC to deliver the operations)

'Bluebell Railtours' or 'Bluebell Trains' anyone?

Actually they sound pretty good.

And they've got the perfect guy on hand to train drivers and firemen in the shape of Clive Groome. A top gent, an absolute legend and a genuinely decent bloke. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2022 at 12:05, G-BOAF said:

I recall one of the BR4 tanks (80079, I think) on one of the "Dawlish Donkey" weeks of fond memory, doing a trip from Exeter to Plymouth on the Friday evening. Five (or was it six?) Mk1's including a restaurant car and one fitted with a generator.

It fairly romped up the Devon banks in both directions and put up a very spirited performance east of Newton Abbot coming back. As the driver said, "it's a Pacific when it's that way round".

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I recall one of the BR4 tanks (80079, I think) on one of the "Dawlish Donkey" weeks of fond memory, doing a trip from Exeter to Plymouth on the Friday evening. Five (or was it six?) Mk1's including a restaurant car and one fitted with a generator.

It fairly romped up the Devon banks in both directions and put up a very spirited performance east of Newton Abbot coming back. As the driver said, "it's a Pacific when it's that way round".

John 

Need more 4mt Tanks on the mainline...! Sad that aside from Whitby, there is nothing at the moment.

In the late 1990s/early 2000s there seemed to be a number of interesting secondary line roaming with these locos (and also famously 80079 and 80098 working London to Shoeburyness with a rake of 8 crimson and cream Mk1s in tow).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2022 at 12:05, G-BOAF said:

Further, the NYMR recently announced that thanks to a generous bequest the overhaul of 80135 will be restarted and that the engine will be registered for Whitby running.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

More on the very fiddly mounting of 2424's boiler. The penultimate photo could, if you squint, have been taken at a southern English MPD sixty years ago.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/brps/atlantic-latest/

Something wrong with that webpage, can't seem to scroll down it to read it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2022 at 14:11, 60526 said:

Pity that somebody can't help fund the restoration of the railways very own 80100.

It will be restored after the 2mt tank as I believe that group is interested in taking it on.

Not everything has to be restored and run (and worn out) at the same time. 80100 is effectively a strategic reserve for the railway. Remember that '64 is privately owned, and 80151 is also majority privately owned. Both could be removed from the railway. 80100 is the only railway owned 4mt tank representing this iconic class used on the line.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The railway was enjoying the late good weather on Friday. Finally got to see the hall after it was on the naughty step most of the summer.

Compress_20221031_112456_6528.jpg.1bf10d1451c5c01e2f898e642229496f.jpg

And Fenchurch was moving some wagons about.

Compress_20221031_210019_9267.jpg.5f5316c67ecfc7c07b41caece79333b6.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read in the November Bluebell Times, "Firstly, the Bluebell has been offered an Oxted DEMU 1305 at no cost to the Railway. In fact, this unit formed the very last working by DEMU between Uckfield and Oxted in 2004. It is in sound mechanical and electrical condition but requires some bodywork repairs. Secondly, there may be the opportunity through a generous donor to be able to acquire an ED locomotive, which is already in regular use in the South East"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The most recent Bluebell news was laying the ground for this. It makes sense but will be a shame as the services to become diesel powered will probably be my favourites because they aren't so well patronised. But if it helps the railway weather the storm it's a good thing...

Then we push them building the Ardingly spir and banish the smellies to the branch! 😁

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SR71 said:

The most recent Bluebell news was laying the ground for this. It makes sense but will be a shame as the services to become diesel powered will probably be my favourites because they aren't so well patronised. But if it helps the railway weather the storm it's a good thing...

I hope we all realise that running any sort of business since Covid, and now with a predicted/threatened recession, is tough stuff. Difficult times demand drastic measures, and if the Bluebell has to substitute diesel for steam to cut costs, we should support them.

DEMUs were the power for more than 40 years on the Oxted group of lines. Hopefully a 3D will appeal to a certain sort of gricer, who may relish the novelty of travelling south of EG on one, although these people alone cannot balance the books.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

If we get many more summers like the one just past, which seems inevitable, all heritage lines will need enough i/c motive power to keep a service running during steam bans.

Acquiring geographically appropriate items follows Bluebell principles. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

To be clear I do support this as a decision (as I said in my post - it's a good thing). I have photos from the summer, which I opted not to post, where I felt they were sailing very close to the wind with line side fires.

They need to be able to place a hold on steam without having to cut off their revenue stream at the same time. It also gives them a chance to ferry people in from East Grinstead more cost effectively first thing. The up early train is always almost totally empty until EG then fills up for the return.

In the very (very) long term it actually would give them something to run on the spur on events days until someone puts together enough scrapped Tesla's to power an EMU. Although my reference to banishment was intended to be light hearted.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 17:06, Oldddudders said:

I hope we all realise that running any sort of business since Covid, and now with a predicted/threatened recession, is tough stuff. Difficult times demand drastic measures, and if the Bluebell has to substitute diesel for steam to cut costs, we should support them.

DEMUs were the power for more than 40 years on the Oxted group of lines. Hopefully a 3D will appeal to a certain sort of gricer, who may relish the novelty of travelling south of EG on one, although these people alone cannot balance the books.  

To be honest it was a long time coming. These units are as much heritage as any steam engine now and there's a strong connection to the area. 

That said if the news came up that they's bought a Fireless loco to maintain services I wouldn't have been surprised hehe

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Awesome idea, worth it just for the howls of indignant protest from the purists!

And that poster could not have foreseen that in 2022, a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific would emerge in purple, apparently without reported maimings or suicides..... 

• Agree 1