The GTH (Brunel Terrace) Is Finally Complete!

Well finally, Bodge and Sons (contractors to the desperate) have finished the roofs of Brunel Terrace (working to plans drawn up by B.S. Johnson of Discworld fame). The council just came by and, after inspecting the buildings closely, condemned the lot! :icon_mutter: So, before Brunel Terrace is torn down to make way for a multi-storey car park (and urinal) in the ever popular reinforced. pre-stressed, concrete, here are some pictures (and I apologize for the quality and colour balance of the pics, my mini digital camera isn't the greatest):

The whole row, full frontal (at various exposures), at an angle and with a 4mm scale bus for comparison....

post-123-12640817194656_thumb.jpg

post-123-12640818213143_thumb.jpg

post-123-12640819911466_thumb.jpg

Note "Fred" (my 4mm "supermodel" who I use as a size reference) underneath the lamp - much better than the HO copper I had placed there earlier.

post-123-12640820459889_thumb.jpg

Despite the numerous faults, the terrace is quite atmospherics...

post-123-12640823543769_thumb.jpg

And the roofline works (despite being as bent as a twelve-bob note)...

post-123-12640825463574_thumb.jpg

The corner house go back full length, although I will be using the terrace as a 3/4 model on my layout.

post-123-12640827359726_thumb.jpg

post-123-12640828559628_thumb.jpg

The lighting works quite well, illuminating the interiors effectively (although everything is wired up as one circuit at present, I have used mini-banana jacks which will allow me to change the wiring loom as needed)

post-123-12640830274752_thumb.jpg post-123-12640830807202_thumb.jpg

(I'm really going to have to redo that flashing - it looks pretty crude [done by Bodge and Sons, of course!])

post-123-1264083160114_thumb.jpg

Finally, the rear is now "decently dressed" (I used masking tape which keeps everything neat, but is easy to remove)

post-123-12640835658015_thumb.jpg

Now that's done, I can move on to other things (finally!), although I will return to Brunel Terrace after a month or two to see if there are any "bodges" or missed defects that I need to correct.

Once I have, metaphorically, gotten my breath back, I'll be posting - in the next day or so - a short summary of lessons learned with this project, as well as giving my pathetic excuses as to why certain things planned for the terrace (such as working chimneys) never came to fruition. My next building is likely to be a Dartmoor Pub for a friend's layout....

Finally, your feedback, derisive comments, ribald observations and occasional "damnation with faint praise" is much welcomed.

Now I'm off to have a beer! :D :D :D

Any feedback? Anyone?

As RMWeb is my "local" model railway club, it's a bit disheartening to have spent nearly two years on a project, have 100+ people look at the post and yet recieve not one coment (whether - "that could be better" or "not bad")

F

• RMweb Gold

Sorry you feel undervalued - the model is top-notch from my view. However, most of the photography, while full of "atmosphere", fails to max-out the excellent detail you have spent so long building into the block. I think previous photos did it more justice in that respect. Oh, and don't forget that on this sort of forum there will always be a quite substantial number of members for whom if it ain't a train, it ain't interesting. Architecture, be it Wren, Lutyens or the Doctor's latest, just isn't their thing!

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Very nice.

I think the slight differences in lighting that you mention actually enhance the effect; suggesting different bulb wattages in different homes, or even the use by some households of newer low-power bulbs (though from judging by the era of the bus, perhaps this is an effect you don't wish to replicate!!)

Looking at the entire block the effect is very pleasing - especially the fine railings around the fronts of each home.

The only "negative" I can see is that some of the dormer windows look "lower" than others. I must stress this is only noticeable after studying the pictures (as you asked) and not something that would "stand out" if I saw the buildings at an exhibtion or in a magazine!

HTH.

cheers

Ben A.

...However, most of the photography, while full of "atmosphere", fails to max-out the excellent detail you have spent so long building into the block.
Alas, I know what you mean. I have acquired various digital cameras and these photos were taken under a mixture of natural and halogen light with a 5 year old Sony didgital camera, perhaps my Nikon SLR will do a better job.

Have to say I have never thought about putting lights in buildings, but the effect is definitely worth it...

The illuminated parts of the terrace have fully detailed interiors. There should be some posts on this version and the earlier incarnation of RMWeb. It's a bit time consuming to work out the wiring and it's advisable to use either grain of wheat/grain of rice bulbs or LEDs, but not both. However, as you say, with the lights out in my railway room, the terrace house looks very nice "at night"

... The only "negative" I can see is that some of the dormer windows look "lower" than others.
THAT cost me a couple of quid in the "swear box. I had just glued everything in place when I realised that the slight warping of each individual dormer roof, whilst in itself neglible, when combined together with the warping of the facades, gave me a swayback appearance - by then it was too late to do anything about it :angry:

...there will always be a quite substantial number of members for whom if it ain't a train, it ain't interesting.
Given that in the real world trains are a means of getting people, materials and produce from point A (e.g. a factory) to point C (e.g. where people live), via B (the trains) I've always thought that Model Railways should rightly encompass it all. But then again I'm a bit odd :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone, I'm glad to hear that it didn't turn out too bad and with lessons learned my next building will be better

F

• RMweb Gold

Top notch stuff Flavio, if nobody has commented it is probably because we are supposed to be cutting down on the 'That's nice' type posts rather than anything that is wrong!

I like it! It is rather atmospheric, the railings do suggest those old Victorian town houses and their basements (in better condition than the one I lived in 40 odd years ago). It really shows the amount of effort you've put into it. All that's missing is a dog with one leg off the ground next to a lamppost. Well done Flavio, when are we going to see the Dartmoor boozer? No doubt those from the SWAG group will be able to give you chapter and verse on what is their second home !

Dennis

Contain your impatience to see the Dartmoor boozer, people. For Flavio to build it he will need some gen on what it looks like and it's down to me to supply it. Much as I would like to carry out a field trip, it's not possible at present but I will be trawling the net asap. If anyone in Swagonia feel like chipping in ....

Chris

Good to see the terrace completed :icon_thumbsup2: I've enjoyed watching progress as it came together and hope you'll be able to produce some photos that really do it justice. Don't worry too much about the wonky dormers, some of these terraces were not as well built as their facades might suggest and the roof area, largely invisible from the ground, is often a wee bit on the wavy side.

Nick

Finished! Well, that must be a (temporary) weight off your mind. I'll echo the other comments about atmosphere - just oozes.

Apart from the difficulties the web site has had (which this new thread of yours landed right in the middle of) which will have inhibited replies, in my case I failed to realise it was a second post with a similar title. Doh! You'd think the word finished would have given a clue. When I did open it, I was puzzled that I couldn't see the long reply I'd put in the thread - it was the other thread. Doh squared.

I don't think you spray with a sealing varnish coat when the glazing is in, as you can see the detail inside wonderfully. One of the shots in this thread either shows a large bath with a fancy surround, or one of the smallest model railways in the world: I can't quite decide.

Thanks for the enjoyment, Tony

Contain your impatience to see the Dartmoor boozer, people. For Flavio to build it he will need some gen on what it looks like and it's down to me to supply it. ..... Chris

Dartmoor Pub? anyone in particular, just in case I happen to be passing.. :rolleyes:

Flavio, I would incorporate a voltage regulator pot to dim the lights a bit, in the dusk/night scenes they are a little bright, IMO you should just be able to see in and some misty detail with the tungsten lighting, but not everything bathed in light (even in the bathroom). The air in the UK does not have the clarity of Swiss air.

Otherwise, a very nice terrace, which reminds me of many places in my youth.

Penlan

One of the shots in this thread either shows a large bath with a fancy surround, or one of the smallest model railways in the world: I can't quite decide.

It's a model railway :O

post-123-1264784830539_thumb.jpg

It's an O Gauge LNER layout (Mallard in Garter blue and one teak coach)!

Dartmoor Pub? anyone in particular, just in case I happen to be passing..

If you can spare the time, measuring up and taking detail photos of the Three Crowns at Chagford would be most helpful (although, alas, at this distance the pint I'd stand you for helping me out would have to be virtual :( )

Flavio, I would incorporate a voltage regulator pot to dim the lights a bit, in the dusk/night scenes they are a little bright..

It's on the cards. At present ALL the lights are bundled into one wiring loom and fed by one source (which does provide a variable output). I eventually plan to re-wire (easy to do as I've been using mini banana plugs) the housing into sections (by house, perhaps, or by type of room [dining room vs bedroom, etc.]) and power each "grid" individually. The street lighting will be on a separate power feed in future

You may remember that in another place,I have previously thought I had walked down this street in Paddington, well it defininitely feels that way now, Well done, you have my admiration.

On the subject of Devonian pubs, if you are serious, there is a chap who lives in Chagfod by the name of Ian Rice, it may even be his local if you can make contact.

Otherwise two pubs which may cause raised eyebrows if only for the names, are the Elephants Nest at Horndon or the Chipshop Inn in the Vilage of (yes it's true) Chipshop, both near Tavistock and the twin lines to Launceston.

Wally

Hi iT Dottori,

Take heart, In my experience over the last 30 years and 10 years as a full time Architectural Model maker i have come to the conclusion that buildings -model buildings,Architectural modelling whatever you want to call it, is a minority subject when compared with the likes of Locos, rolling stock and prototype matters.

there will be the odd few that will disagree with me but you bet that they are a fan of the subject.

Not too long ago Malcolm Mitchel made comment of George Iliffe Stokes passing almost un noticed and he was probably the best Architectural modeller bar none ( certainly in his time )so maybe it hints to us that we are a minority.

I guess the greatest advertisement for modelling on things architectural must be Pendon museum with the village scenes etc.

I too was about to give up posts as having no response taking all the trouble of posting up photos and the time taken to do it and to find no feedback, it is disheartening and you get to think that your models are not worthy of feedback so you give up.

May i say you have done a very good job of the Brunell Terrace and can imagine the many hours modelling time that have gone in to it, so keep up the good work, i know that many people don't have the time to post up replies and only get the chance to have a peek so we can't really rely on none feedback but it is nice to get it it makes it worthwhile that we can bounce ideas etc of each other thats what its all about.

cheers

Peter A L

Flavio, my man, well worth the effort, and well worth the wait to see it finished.

Terrific, and very realistic model.

I especially like the shot showing the man on sticks, hobbling along on that sunken corner pavement. Whether by luck or design, the effect is superb.

I would be proud to have that on my layout.cool.gif

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I've quite understood the references to a "Dartmoor boozer", but in case there is a real chance of il Dottore applying his skills to such a hostelry, may I offer one near the Moor that has true architectural merit? The Drum at Cockington, a bike-ride from Torquay - designed by Lutyens, as the blue plaque by the door attests, and riddled with Lutyens cues! Fine food and drink, on my visits, too!

Just a thought from overseas.

I'm not sure I've quite understood the references to a "Dartmoor boozer"

When Brunel Terrace was nearing completion, I foolishly (:blink: ) mentioned to Chrisf that I would be quite amenable to "upping the ante" and unleashing my newly honed skills (hem hem) on another building... to cut a long story short after various discussions (many of which involving the consumption of alcohol) I agreed to build a Dartmoor Pub for his (being built) layout.

Your suggestion of the Drum at Cockington sounds like a distinct possibility (the exact prototype has yet to be agreed upon), and like with the Three Crowns at Chagford, the Drum would give me the chance to try my hand at thatching - Pendon Style :wacko:

My thanks to all for the feedback, comments and encouragement! It certainly will motivate me improve the quality of my modelling with the forthcoming pub!

wavy%20terrace.jpg

Flavio, I wouldn't worry about the terrace not being perfectly level. In many Georgian terraces each house was built by a different contractor with only the fa?§ade designed by the same architect for the whole row and they had little to nothing in the way of foundations. After a few hundred years the rate of settlement along the terrace can often vary quite a lot, giving exactly the undulating appearance of your model. Because everything except the fa?§ade was deigned by different people, there are often differences in the roofs and dormer windows, and the rear of the houses can sometimes be completely different from each other in design. The photo above is of Great Pulteney Street, one of the most prestigious Georgian terraces in Bath. The cornices and window lines are clearly undulating, and this isn't even a particularly extreme example. Note also the various dormer windows, and that even some of the second story windows are of a different size to the rest.

Paul

In case that got missed, the reference to a "Dartmoor boozer" is for Flavio's next project,

which should be well worth seeing, especially if he does the thatching. Of course, it may also refer to the habitues of such an establishment, who may not be altogether absent from RMWeb.

Dennis

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any feedback? Anyone?

As RMWeb is my "local" model railway club, it's a bit disheartening to have spent nearly two years on a project, have 100+ people look at the post and yet recieve not one coment (whether - "that could be better" or "not bad")

F

Hi There,

Sorry to say, I've only just come accross this thread, otherwise I would have commented earlier; besides I can only think of one word - Stunning!

I've never been brave enough (or determined enough) to fit interiors and the neccessary lighting to my buildings, but yours work a treat. Well done sir!

All the best,

Dave.T

Archived