Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Just  a  few  more  general  thoughts............I really  like  the  fact  that   this  loco  is  mostly  made  from  metal!!,  It  recall the  old  Hornby-Dublo  and  Wrenn  days  when  diecast  was  the  norm,  I remember  when  Triang  came to  the  fore  that  the  plastic locos  whilst  good  for  the  time  did not  really seam  'quite like  proper models' compared  with  their  competition!! 

I am  i suppose  swayed  somewhat  by  my 0n30 modelling  where  metal  is the  predominant  material    used  for   the  locos  by  Bachmann  making  them very  heavy, surefooted and brilliant brilliant performers. 

I am  wondering  what  the  future holds,  will we  see  a  move  to  increased  use  of  metal bodies on UK stock I wonder.

Having  further  run  my J15  I can  confirm  that  haulage  capacity  is  probably far  more  than  most  users  will require in  normal  use.

• Like 1

I suspect Steve it may well become the norm for lightweight engines that would have difficulty pulling the proverbial skin off the rice pudding without some weight.  At least it's better than the dreaded 'traction tyres'!!

I do have a slight concern about the type of metal used knowing that some chassis, both Hornby, Bachmann and I believe Dapol, have had expansion problems due to faulty mixtures being used.  When I worked for Britains the casters used to refer to the Mazak slush casting metal as 'Camel Crap'!

• RMweb Premium

And useful for those who want to add a crew....

If running the model without a 'crew' it would stick out like a sore thumb, due to the 'open' nature of the cab. IIRC some of the class were indeed fitted with a tender cab for operation on some branches where tender first operation was common (Mildenhall?).

If running the model without a 'crew' it would stick out like a sore thumb, due to the 'open' nature of the cab. IIRC some of the class were indeed fitted with a tender cab for operation on some branches where tender first operation was common (Mildenhall?).

The five J15s with tender cabs ran on the Colne Valley Line due to the line not having any turntables, there are more differences to the actual cab in the loco I strongly recommend the Yeadons on J15s as there is a picture on page 31. Also during the war the tenders on some locos had tarpaulins fixed on a metal frame from the tender, at some depots weatherboards were put up on the tenders.

There is a lot of variation in this class so as with any models research is needed and make sure you have plenty of pictures.

I find myself wondering what RTR carriages might suit East Anglian trains?

The Hornby Gresley and Thompson suburbans, obviously. The old Hornby Gresleys could pass for GE Section stock, and you could always stretch a point and use the Bachmann 'Henrietta' as an ex-Wisbech & Upwell Mid-Sussex coach.

Don't forget the mark ones!

It  has  taken  some  time  for  the  manufrs  of  UK  outline  to  realise  the  potental  of  flywheels  in steam  outline  locos.  It  has  been  the  norm  on  Most  US  and  many  Continental steam  locs  for  quite  a long  time now ,  which  has  greatly  enhanced  their running  qualities.

Now  then  Hornby  hows  about  a   Nice  8f  with  flywheels  &  a  metal  body   (please) ........ sorry  I realise  this  is a bit  off  the  thread

• Like 2

Whoops - With regard to my earlier post where I suggested that Hornby have the position of the rear handrail stanchions incorrect (sorry, I simply cannot get the 'reply quoting this post' button to work) I must apologise to Hornby. 

Reference to further photographs shows that the model is in fact absolutely correct.  The position varied on each side of the boiler. Hornby have in fact got this spot-on. My sincere apologies to all concerned.

Edited by orford

On the subject of tender cabs, these were by no means restricted to the Colne Valley locos, which as Flyingscotsmanfan correctly points out had several other differences too (not least side windows in the cabs).  But many other J15's also has tender cabs in the form of what the GER described as a 'weather board' which could be bolted temporarily or permanently to the tender of any J15. In fact it was pretty much a full 'half-cab' (if that is not a contradiction in terms).

One of the three J15's on my layout (65457) will have such a weather board - and I have no excuse for not getting it right as I have in my possession a copy of the original GER Stratford works drawing for it.

The boiler is pitched very low in these machines and so it opens the door to just about any 0-6-0 Tender engine from now on...

When I think of the struggle to wedge a concealed motor and drive line into the old Stephen Poole J15 kit, using the resources available in the 1970s, this model's drive line makes a very cheerful prospect.

It  has  taken  some  time  for  the  manufrs  of  UK  outline  to  realise  the  potental  of  flywheels  in steam  outline  locos...

Ironic in a way that this has now begun to appear (Bach 9F, Hornby O1 and now J15) only after the electronic simulation of inertia became readily available from both DCC and many feedback DC controller designs.

[Tangent] I do agree that of their older models, granting the 8F a redesign including a metal bodywork upgrade would be an asset to its traction. Easily the most feeble of all the RTR 8F 2-8-0s available. [/Tangent] 

When I think of the struggle to wedge a concealed motor and drive line into the old Stephen Poole J15 kit, using the resources available in the 1970s, this model's drive line makes a very cheerful prospect.

Ironic in a way that this has now begun to appear (Bach 9F, Hornby O1 and now J15) only after the electronic simulation of inertia became readily available from both DCC and many feedback DC controller designs.

[Tangent] I do agree that of their older models, granting the 8F a redesign including a metal bodywork upgrade would be an asset to its traction. Easily the most feeble of all the RTR 8F 2-8-0s available. [/Tangent] 

Actually  there  was  much  discussion  in  the  press  many  years  ago  regarding  flywheels  in  UK  outline 00  locos,,,it  was  seen  that  the  inclusion  in  USA outline  made  quite  a  difference  to  the  achievement  of  smooth  running, but  even  in  those  days  even  the  UK   diesels  were  not  F wheel  fitted!   I am  talking  late  70s  early  80s.

We  used  to   fit flywheels  to  our  0  gauge  kit  built locos  wherever  practical  around  that  time  and the benfit  was  very  apparent.

Edited by Stevelewis

Ian Allan Waterloo had examples of all 3 in the cabinet today, but when I left with a L/C BR one, that was the last of those. I have a suspicion the LNER version has a lower cab profile, can anyone confirm?

Further to the pics above, mine DOES have the red wheel in the cab, Only just given it a trundle up and down my layout, superb! Though it behaves as though the pickups might need adjusting a tad, no real problem to me. A cursory glance shows that it appears to have them on all 12 wheels - I like it. First job will be to simplify the wiring probably (no need for DCC socket). Then respray with Railmatch Dirty Black. That Hornby black is much too clean.

Trouble is, I have one on order with T4U, so next visit will mean more expense. Still, one of them may get some mods such as stovepipe chimney and a cab tarpaulin.

Incidently I only paid £80.50p for mine, thanks to £25 off with the loyalty card, so quite a bargain. If someone had told me back in the 70s that Hornby would be making a J15, and to this standard, I would have laughed at them!.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,stewartingram. The LNER J15's do have the 'lower' cab roof. It is, along with the other BR condition J15's, a separately applied fitting in plastic.

All the best,

Market65.

PS. I see that Hattons have now got their quota of J15's in stock.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

'Railway Bylines' covered the J15 quite comprehensively a few years ago. IIRC some had the higher cab roofs before nationalisation whilst others lasted well into nationalisation with the low cab roofs. Many GER locomotives had wooden cab roofs as well that were in most cases replaced by steel roofs.

• RMweb Premium

A cursory glance shows that it appears to have them on all 12 wheels - I like it. First job will be to simplify the wiring probably (no need for DCC socket). .

Stewart

Simplify the wiring? To what advantage?

A DCC socket doesn't make it any worse for analogue use.

Keith

Well I put an order in direct from Hornby and cancelled my Hattons order yesterday, Hattons shipment turns up today so I tried to cancel the Hornby and go back, but you can't cancel a Hornby order it would seem. Oh well.

If anyone would like to build the lower cab sided earlier GER version/later type side window cab or fit the tender cab additions, please let me know as I have several spare etches for these versions from multiple builds of the Alan Gibson kit...probably about a fiver a go with free postage from here...

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I put an order in direct from Hornby and cancelled my Hattons order yesterday, Hattons shipment turns up today so I tried to cancel the Hornby and go back, but you can't cancel a Hornby order it would seem. Oh well.

As long as their not identical. :locomotive: