Mallard Partwork

• RMweb Premium

128 (ignoring the cheaper first two issues)  X £7.99 =  £1022.72   plus paint, glue etc.  ouch !! .

Delivery over 32 months as well, at least it gives you plenty of time to build it and pay for it   :jester:

vs £819.60 direct from DJH in one lump sum... so you are paying £203.12 for the befefit of buying in parts (or £1.58 an issue) and the magizine. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me?

• RMweb Gold

vs £819.60 direct from DJH in one lump sum... so you are paying £203.12 for the befefit of buying in parts (or £1.58 an issue) and the magizine. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me?

You get the decals with the partwork as well. Although there aren't so many as required for Flying Scotsman. Those were made by Fox so were good quality.

I've just been down the newsies and handed over my 50p for issue one. The cab has etched detail on the sides which was a big omission from Scotsman's cab.

I shall probably start a build thread one I remember where my soldering iron is...

post-1036-0-02675100-1409139835.jpg

Edited by 30801
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You get the decals with the partwork as well. Although there aren't so many as required for Flying Scotsman. Those were made by Fox so were good quality.

I've just been down the newsies and handed over my 50p for issue one. The cab has etched detail on the sides which was a big omission from Scotsman's cab.

I shall probably start a build thread one I remember where my soldering iron is...

I would check with the soldering iron on some of the fret first, I believe someone made a start on the trial issues and the brass was laquered to accept superglue more easily, thus refusing the best offorts of the sodlering iron...

vs £819.60 direct from DJH in one lump sum... so you are paying £203.12 for the benefit of buying in parts (or £1.58 an issue) and the magazine. ....

...and the possibility (given the two previous attempts) that the model may never reach completion.

• RMweb Premium

...and the possibility (given the two previous attempts) that the model may never reach completion.

What attempts were they then? I am aware of the 3 issue trial earlier in the year that was only ever intended as such...

What attempts were they then? I am aware of the 3 issue trial earlier in the year that was only ever intended as such...

See post 53 in this thread. Not actually intended as a trial, as far as I understand it. Poor takeup led to it being stopped.

• RMweb Gold

See post 53 in this thread. Not actually intended as a trial, as far as I understand it. Poor takeup led to it being stopped.

Hmm. That post started with 'I was told by someone' :P

It's pretty obvious the previous run was a trial. It used cast metal parts for the boiler and ran for four issues. I was chatting to a bloke from DJH at one of the Guild shows a few years ago and he said they did a run of 2000 metal boilers for the Flying Scotsman test. Like the Mallard, the full production run uses plastic parts.

• RMweb Gold

I would check with the soldering iron on some of the fret first, I believe someone made a start on the trial issues and the brass was laquered to accept superglue more easily, thus refusing the best offorts of the sodlering iron...

Yep. lacquered. Will need to see how easy the stuff is to strip or a build might be painful..

post-1036-0-70648500-1409164195.jpg

• Administrators

That was me, I had a go with the cab on my blog

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/partwork-season-a4s-everywhere.html

The kit is designed for glue to make it suitable for beginners so the metal is laquered. At last it will stay shiny if, like most modellers, you don't quite get around to building it :-)

A bath/soak in cellulose thinners, for an hour or so, and a scrub with a hard tooth brush will probably get rid of the lacquer. Just remember to do it in a WELL ventilated area and not in the lounge!

Mike

A bath/soak in cellulose thinners, for an hour or so, and a scrub with a hard tooth brush will probably get rid of the lacquer. Just remember to do it in a WELL ventilated area and not in the lounge!

Mike

Sounds like a load of effort when you live in a flat!

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a load of effort when you live in a flat!

Maybe N gauge would be better :P

After an hour or so in cellulose thinners the lacquer could be scraped off with a fingernail but was still beyond my toothbrush.

If it just falls off after an overnight soak that sounds like a plan.

On a less happy note. Looking through the stuff that came with the magazine they keep showing pictures of bits of a DJH Piercy A4, but other shots show a much simpler model with the same detail as the regular DJH kits. So factor that in when making cost comparisons. You won't be getting the really nice version.

Half 6 last night I saw the advert for this on the tv....

Half 7 last night I'd parted with 50p for issue one from my local corner establishment and the subscription form was in the post :)

Just hope I have more success with this than I did with the Scotsman Partwork!

Dan

I didn't see this thread earlier in the year, so last night's Hachette adverts for Mallard on the box came as a surprise. ( ITV4 ).

I'll investigate at Smiths in Burton later today, but I think that I'm too old to be planning an essentially 2-year project.

I didn't see this thread earlier in the year, so last night's Hachette adverts for Mallard on the box came as a surprise. ( ITV4 ).

I'll investigate at Smiths in Burton later today, but I think that I'm too old to be planning an essentially 2-year project.

Never too old!

Its all in the mind, your as young as you feel

Never too old!

Its all in the mind, your as young as you feel

I agree... take a leaf from Bob Symes, I picked up a copy of Model Rail this morning purely to read the article about him. he's 90 and planning  new extensions for two of his garden railways...hell I didn't even know he was still alive?......good on him I say...:)

Pete

• Like 1

I agree... take a leaf from Bob Symes, I picked up a copy of Model Rail this morning purely to read the article about him. he's 90 and planning  new extensions for two of his garden railways...hell I didn't even know he was still alive?......good on him I say... :)

Pete

Oh and if fiddling with the smaller items is an issue then find some younger member of the family to teach and get them to fit the bits for you and hey presto, new recruit to the world of railway modelling and at the same time you get a nice locomotive for the shelf / railway!

I seem to remember a similar discussion about costs took place when the Flying Scotsman partwork was launched. I agree with Steve that it's a choice between paying out a hefty lump sum for the DJH kit + wheels, or spreading the cost over 32 months. Personally I can't afford £819.60 direct from DJH but can budget to pay for this kit month by month.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember a similar discussion about costs took place when the Flying Scotsman partwork was launched. I agree with Steve that it's a choice between paying out a hefty lump sum for the DJH kit + wheels, or spreading the cost over 32 months. Personally I can't afford £819.60 direct from DJH but can budget to pay for this kit month by month.

Have to agree. People seem happy to pay a premium to spread other costs. Insurance is one example, another being mobile phones where people seem happy to pay a fortune each month for a contact where they get the latest smart phone 'free', when it would be far cheaper to by the same phone for cash and get a sim only contact.

The fact that they are running the partwork would indicate that the trial was a success. Still undecided myself but it would be a great model to build

• RMweb Gold

Personally I can't afford £819.60 direct from DJH but can budget to pay for this kit month by month.

Also, depending on your skill level the partwork A4 is going to be much simpler to build than any other available A4 kit. For all the moans about the Flying Scotsman partwork, once the cab was out of the way the build was mostly a doddle.

No Mallard part-work on display at WHS in Burton at 1.15pm today.

I got a letter saying that as I had subscribed for the earlier cancelled subscription, they were sending me issues 1, 2 & 3 for free and that I'd start paying from issue 4. I for one am glad they have lacquered the parts for superglue as I have very little experience soldering beyond the odd wire and I wouldn't like to solder this kit as my first attempt! Like several other people on here I couldn't afford the full price of the kit, but spreading the cost is achievable. Its also a lot easier to get it past the wife who would complain (a lot) if I spent the best part of £900 in one go on a kit! She seems to think holidays with the family are a better use for my hard earned cash...I ask you?!?