Mallard Partwork

I too don't understand how cellulose thinners can etch brass.  I am a retired chemist and can see no reason how this could happen; on the other hand I would caution against soaking brass in caustic alkalis.  There is a phenomenon called de-zincification which can occur with brass in alkaline solutions and even, over a time,  in very soft water, which tends to have a higher pH than hard water.  Under the microscope the surface appears to be like a Swiss cheese with holes where the zinc has dissolved leaving only the copper lattice holding the component together.  I know from cleaning caked on castor oil from model aero engines that it pays to be cautious in your choice of cleansing product to avoid pitting.  Aluminium, like zinc, is amphoteric and can dissolve in both acids and alkalis.

• RMweb Gold

I too don't understand how cellulose thinners can etch brass.

I can only assume the thinners wasn't entirely thinners or the brass isn't entirely brass.

Probably the thinners as now I come to think of it the stuff has a tint to it. It was a tin of stuff from the model shop left over from when I did a tissue & dope aeroplane.

Anyway Nitromors & wire wool did the trick although I was really hoping to just be able to soak the stuff off.

• RMweb Premium

I can only assume the thinners wasn't entirely thinners or the brass isn't entirely brass.

Probably the thinners as now I come to think of it the stuff has a tint to it. It was a tin of stuff from the model shop left over from when I did a tissue & dope aeroplane.

Anyway Nitromors & wire wool did the trick although I was really hoping to just be able to soak the stuff off.

I left the brass fret test piece in the thinners for nearly 48 hours in the end and the only marks were slight discolouration from some residue that was in the glass dish I was using!

Keith

Hi,

Garryflex block removed the varnish coating & I suspect many more abrasives would, but my concern is the depth of the etched grooves on the cab (this i issue 1 dont forget ) for folding unless scored or worked on were not deep enough to merely bend into shape caused distortion of the cab windows, unless you have small bending gear which most gluers/starters of this type kit (beginners) wont have or want the further expense of buying & these tools are not recommended in the first issue, however if you guys same as me I prefer to buy quality washout plugs & the first issue is worth 50p just for them !

Also for your attention I personally dont like the idea of sticking parts together with superglue only solder. & im also miffed that as bieng a original subscriber that showed the body as whitemetal has now migrated to plastic !

ALF

vs £819.60 direct from DJH in one lump sum... so you are paying £203.12 for the befefit of buying in parts (or £1.58 an issue) and the magizine. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me?

But the A3 had quite a few short cuts/improvements, delete one option as desired, over the original DJH kit that formed the starting point for the project.

You will not know until way down the road what changes will be made. Already there is talk of plastic body parts.

I did see some very good models produced with the aid of the part work in the case of the A3. They did require a heck of a lot of extra work to get to that standard.

Bernard

Would Mallard have to be built as Mallard, or could it be built as another, and without the valances?

if you look at issue 2 in this link you'll notice that the valances are a separate moulding.. should help make life a little easier for anyone wishing to do a conversion..

http://www.buildthemallard.com/collection.html

regards

Pete

Edited by greenglade

Twenty plus sitting on a shelf at Smiffs Bluewaters with the same amount of U Boat 1st issue , not exactly much of a take up at 50p a pop.

There were at least ten in the box at WHS Ealing last week (which has given it space in preference to GBL), and at least half of these had gone by this afternoon  - probably for resale on eBay.

Without removing the valences there were 4 A4s that had double chimneys and streamlined non corridor tenders pre war. All others were fitted with double chimneys later, after the valences were removed. Surely somebody makes a suitable single chimney? I've no idea about how easy it would be to remove the valancing. But I can't see it being that big a deal.

The following are suitable as the model is intended to be built.

4468 Mallard

4901 Capercaille

4902 Seagull

4903 Peregrine

I want one. But I don't think I can justify one. I'll try to pick up the first issue and decide.

Regards Jason.

not yet Steve...letter said first delivery should be early sept so I guess this week... next delivery consisting issues 2 and 3 will be 28 days after that.... not very good... means subscribers will be many weeks behind general release at least for a month or two, hence why i bought issue 1 already and will probably also buy 2 and 3, will keep the subscribed issues when they arrive as spares. 

Pete

• Like 1

Popped up to see my dad today and he had 3 of issue one with him. Looking at the magazine the boiler smoke box and skirts are all in injected moulded plastic.

That should make construction a lot easier. I don't need an A4 but I was tempted, although if I did it would be without skirts. The thing is could you effectively remove the skirts and then get hold of what ever bits you need that would be on display underneath ?

Any other of the original subscribers had their bits yet? they said they would send the first 3 issues free but I havent recieved anything yet...

I've not received mine yet, but have picked up a copy of the first issue and made up the cab assembly using solder.

Hi,

Had an email from them today promising the first 3 issues free & gifts @ no cost & wonder how many shiny propellers are on ebay ,

BTW Has anyone had a D/D on there card for £12 odd as I have this week wonder if its them ??? Hatchette.

Also they keep going on about registering on there website with the subscription number I have setup the website but even now have never been told by them my subscription number ? will I have to call premium rate number just to find out ????? im getting more miffed by the day about this whole kit !

ALF

There were a few copies of issue one in our local Asda yesterday. They are still stocking the GBL collection too. Our local newsagents also carried issue one, but have long since ceased stocking GBL. I am not an 0 gauge modeller and I have only ever completed one kit in my life. Considering how dire my attempt at a card building was should I really consider attempting this?

I have bought issue one and certainly have the motivation at the moment, whether I have the funds to subscribe is doubtful although I do think that it is cost effective to spread the amount over such a long period of time. I may attempt the cab and see if my motivation remains!

• RMweb Gold

Also they keep going on about registering on there website with the subscription number I have setup the website but even now have never been told by them my subscription number ? will I have to call premium rate number just to find out ?????

When they finally send you issue one there will be a letter with your subscriber number on it.

Edited by 30801

Hi,

Had an email from them today promising the first 3 issues free & gifts @ no cost & wonder how many shiny propellers are on ebay ,

BTW Has anyone had a D/D on there card for £12 odd as I have this week wonder if its them ??? Hatchette.

Also they keep going on about registering on there website with the subscription number I have setup the website but even now have never been told by them my subscription number ? will I have to call premium rate number just to find out ????? im getting more miffed by the day about this whole kit !

ALF

This may help but according to my letter the 0333 number is charged at local rates (although I haven't yet had to call them to see if this is true). You could email them about your subscription number on buildthemallard@jacklinservice.com

• RMweb Premium

This may help but according to my letter the 0333 number is charged at local rates

According to Ofcom the charge is the same as an 01 or 02 number i.e. national rate:

"03 numbers – UK-wide geographic numbers

Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more

expensive 08 numbers.

How much do calls cost? Calls cost no more than calls to geographic

numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and

discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines are typically

charged up to 9p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between

8p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call

packages."

Keith

Edited by melmerby