Mallard Partwork

• RMweb Gold

Frustratingly........the Polycell had absolutely no effect on removing the lacquer coating on the brass........... Did'nt even make it go sticky......... So would like to hear from anyone who has actually removed the stuff .......

Guys,

Now were on the subject of removing there so well coated brass finish to make glue bond better i'm old skool & definitely am going to solder my kit wherever possible, I removed the areas off the cab with a GARYFLEX block with ease...

But what has now come into my mind is the areas that we don't remove the varnish (coating) from at the final result once the kit is finished will it be a problem to spray areas that meander from there coating remains to bare soldered to brass ? W.R.T finish & paint reacting that could be a major problem or not any experienced sprayers like to comment on possible reactions ?

ALF

• RMweb Gold

I'm old school too Alf.

That's why I'm removing it all. I shall then be able to use a uniform coating of etch primer. I had already noticed the grey paint chipping off the nose end of body during handling......

Folks , I've been playing with this stuff today..........attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've had similar success as Rosspop but using Wilko's all purpsoed pain & varnish stripper, which is only a fiver for a 500ml plastic bottle. It seems to act exactly the same as the Polycell although needs to be left on for about an hour. I only needed to use one coat, so there is plenty left to deal with the main boiler section which comes with part 3.

I used Homebase paint and varnish remover, poured it into a plastic food box and left the brass in it for about 3 hours. Only problem is it's white which makes it hard to find the window frames in the gel.

I also ran a pointed file down the folds in the cab sides several times so it bent easier without bending the windows.

(Second time, lucky its only 50p for a second copy.)

Wish I'd checked the fit of the washout plugs before soldering it all up as filing it after was not easy.

my local asda stil has loads of issue 2 and also issue 2 and 3 of the U-boat which came out at the same time. No issue 3's on the shelf. I suspect they are trying to shift issue 2 first and maybe have them round the back as the shelves where full. Didn't have time to find anyone to ask.

WHSmith in Cannock has reverted back to two dozen issue 1's, but managed to get issue three at local newsagents......

That explains why I saw about 6 issue 1's in Worcester yesterday when issue 3 is now in Droitwich, 8 miles away, it looks as if they may be rotating the first 3 or 4 issues a bit to build sales.

Issue 3 also contains 20 handrail knobs, worth the cover price for that alone, I spent 7.50 on a dozen last weekend.

post-18627-0-68788600-1410963603_thumb.jpg

Can't help but feel they've shot themselves in the foot a bit, I've now got 4 A4 loco bodies, admittedly without some of the fittings, for about £12.50 a pop, the rest is either available as castings, and a tender kit and scratchbuilt chassis, or using the spare Scotsman kit I have (just checked and a rolling Scotsman chassis seems to slot into the A4 nicely). All of the hard work in producing the complex shapes has been done.

If it were me I would have held back on either the main body piece, or the nose section, until further into the build, but who's complaining!

post-18627-0-58013600-1410963600_thumb.jpg

Issue 4 doesn't look as good, mainly some brass etchings for the cab inner windows and suchlike by the look of it, time to decide if I want to carry on with one from Hatchette, and have some swappable bodies for different loco's or cut my losses and scratchbuild on the base of bit's I've got to date, with kit-built tenders.

Hi,

Ive now used Nitomors on the body the paint came off as I was applying the stuff excellent for the paint removal. It also worked on the brassbut after drying off remnants of the lacquer were still there but a lot less work than rubbing, so Ill redo the brass next session when I do the skirts.

Now the paint is gone the indents for the nose side lamp brackets are more clearly visible & are not where they are on the original they are too close to the body. As from my photo below on the real loco they are located more or less exactly in the middle of the skirt..

ALF

post-16944-0-43507800-1411159875_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now the paint is gone the indents for the nose side lamp brackets are more clearly visible & are not where they are on the original they are too close to the body. As from my photo below on the real loco they are located more or less exactly in the middle of the skirt..

The position looks OK, being just a little inboard of the buffer centres. The radius where the skirt blends into the smokebox looks to be larger on the model however.

As a subscriber, I've just checked my account on-line where I discover that Issues 2 & 3 are in the post + the A3 Mallard poster and a letter. And the letter is described as "outofstock letter". Anybody know what this might be about?

B

• RMweb Gold

I bet it's one of the free gifts you should get as a subscriber is not available.

They did the same thing on some of the other partworks they do.

Very odd, as subscribers we should get all the free gifts as stated.

Don't know if we will get a replacement or not.

I think in this delivery it should be the coasters or the magnifying glass, so looks like we wont be getting at least one them.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction