SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Right Mr. Duck, Been there, done that - on 10 pills a day and still steadily finding breathing capability declining, so have much sympathy for your plight. 

A couple of years back when I had the left patella replaced, they put me on heavy duty painkillers - Dihydrocodeine . Cured the pain, but after a few days I felt in a total state off CBA about anything.

As you know my default state is 'silver lining' so I found this very difficult to deal with.

The key to that situation  was all chemical - as indeed is yours. The good news is that apart for food intolerances, which incidentally can be dramatically worsened by 'stress,' you are in sound shape, just a bit chemically depleted. `So as our friend form the Steppes points out all the 'quacks' need to do is get the mix right.

We are all rooting for you , so keep us posted.

Peter

• Like 1

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Dear Mr. Duck,

I've not posted on your thread before and I don't often visit it, but I'd like to offer my respect to you for courageously talking about your problems. And believe me, it DOES take courage to concede mental health problems in our society - it is an area still greatly misunderstood by much of the population.

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder with occasional bouts of depression and have done so for many years. Yours seems to be driven by diet; mine is driven by specific situations. The stumuli are different but the symptoms will be the same.

For me, railways and model railways are part of my "therapy". I find that on "bad" days it positively lifts my spirits to simply "get out the trains", savour them and do nothing more demanding that running them for a while. Just appreciating them for the miraculous little pieces of engineering they are is therapeutic for me. However, on such days I resist the temptation to repair, modify, build or hack anything. I deal with complexity and frustration on better days!

What is obvious is the strong showing of support for you from people on this forum. Listen to those voices and not the "Depressive Thinking" you described.

Very Best Wishes,

Andy.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Bl**dy 'ell Phil - that's a right basinful and no mistake.  All I can hope is that the medicos sort out the right mix of pills and potions and get you back to normal working order and layout building.   I wonder if you could get one of those new Hornby big spamcan things on the NHS by telling that crowd at NICE that spam is a crucial part of your diet and you have to get it packed in a particular sort of can?

But whether or not you strike lucky with that I'm definitely rooting for you getting the rest sorted - all the very best with making some positive progress.

Right Phil - As we need to find ways to drag you out of the Stygian depths of the black dog, let's put you to work -

I need a case for proving that a GWR Toad found its way not the Waverley Route during steam/ early diesel days - can you think of a fraught that could have worked all the way from Devon to Bonnie Scotland and what kind of wagons would be in the consist?

UP for the challenge oh wise and knowledgeable master?

• Like 1

Dear Mr. Duck,

I've not posted on your thread before and I don't often visit it, but I'd like to offer my respect to you for courageously talking about your problems. And believe me, it DOES take courage to concede mental health problems in our society - it is an area still greatly misunderstood by much of the population.

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder with occasional bouts of depression and have done so for many years. Yours seems to be driven by diet; mine is driven by specific situations. The stumuli are different but the symptoms will be the same.

For me, railways and model railways are part of my "therapy". I find that on "bad" days it positively lifts my spirits to simply "get out the trains", savour them and do nothing more demanding that running them for a while. Just appreciating them for the miraculous little pieces of engineering they are is therapeutic for me. However, on such days I resist the temptation to repair, modify, build or hack anything. I deal with complexity and frustration on better days!

What is obvious is the strong showing of support for you from people on this forum. Listen to those voices and not the "Depressive Thinking" you described.

Very Best Wishes,

Andy.

Agree. Sometimes I just go to the train room, switch it all on and just watch the trains go round.  Just like in our childhood days, imagination takes over and the woes of the world are soon forgotten as we travel our imaginary countryside or we can imagine that also if the boards are bare!

I have my own woes; shingles, while not serious or life threatening its bloody painful at times even with regular vicodin pills!

Brian.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Agree. Sometimes I just go to the train room, switch it all on and just watch the trains go round.  Just like in our childhood days, imagination takes over and the woes of the world are soon forgotten as we travel our imaginary countryside.....

Brian.

Brian, 

I couldn't have put it better. Over here in the UK the solutions of choice for depression are normally 'talking therapies' (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) or medication (the class of drugs known as SSRIs).

I wonder if I were to make a case for the therapeutic benefits of model railways, locomotives and rolling stock could be issued by the NHS on prescription......

(Grabs hat and coat, exits stage right pronto!)

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Brian, 

I couldn't have put it better. Over here in the UK the solutions of choice for depression are normally 'talking therapies' (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) or medication (the class of drugs known as SSRIs).

I wonder if I were to make a case for the therapeutic benefits of model railways, locomotives and rolling stock could be issued by the NHS on prescription......

(Grabs hat and coat, exits stage right pronto!)

Andy.

That's the ones.............................. what is really weird is that I should be getting my therapy from really cracking on with the layout as well as kit building for me and one or two things for 'friends'. Unfortunately this is not the case at the moment. I am just getting my arse into gear and getting out and doing stuff most days but have I opened the loft hatch? Nope. 

Right Phil - As we need to find ways to drag you out of the Stygian depths of the black dog, let's put you to work -

I need a case for proving that a GWR Toad found its way not the Waverley Route during steam/ early diesel days - can you think of a fraught that could have worked all the way from Devon to Bonnie Scotland and what kind of wagons would be in the consist?

UP for the challenge oh wise and knowledgeable master?

I suspect that the WR Panniers that went up to Scotland to work a/some Branch lines may well have had a Toad as a companion!

Is that good enough?

P

• RMweb Premium

The only helpful thing I can come up with is check your weight regularly. If you're on some gluten free diet we don't want disappearing up your watertight orifice. All the best with it all, do you feel up to entertaining us with longer posts on here? Tales of your yoof in Devon, say?

• Like 1

The only helpful thing I can come up with is check your weight regularly. If you're on some gluten free diet we don't want disappearing up your watertight orifice. All the best with it all, do you feel up to entertaining us with longer posts on here? Tales of your yoof in Devon, say?

I'd like to know that too!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Careful - that might fall foul of forum rules...

That's the ones.............................. what is really weird is that I should be getting my therapy from really cracking on with the layout as well as kit building for me and one or two things for 'friends'. Unfortunately this is not the case at the moment. I am just getting my arse into gear and getting out and doing stuff most days but have I opened the loft hatch? Nope. 

I suspect that the WR Panniers that went up to Scotland to work a/some Branch lines may well have had a Toad as a companion!

Is that good enough?

P

Works for me - heads off to Rails' website...

• RMweb Premium

I have lost some weight and I am keeping an eye on that. I need to lose another few pounds/kilos  but my desire for food has decreased dramatically. Not allowed to drink alkyhol either (can't drink beer anyway due to how it is made).

Ta

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Not a tales of old Devon, but a bit of a yarn (there is a pun in here somewhere). Today I was involved in helping out at our local Wildlife Trust reserve, in the lambing shed! (Wooly beasts......yarn.......... :scratchhead: ). It followed an invitation from one of the staff, who is a fine fellow that I have known on a jokingly conversational greeting way for quite some time, but I have never worked with him. I am happy to say that I had a bl##dy good time. If anyone of you ever has the misfortune to become gloomy and you can do something like this, then do it. I will be exhausted tomorrow but I actually feel better now than I have for weeks.

Anyone up for some anecdotes about Laira or North Road sometime soon, or tales of shed bashing?

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 10

From the Ancient Trainspotter; no relation to the Mariner although they have a team in Seattle!  I don't know about anecdotes but I do remember standing on Mutley and Millbay platforms waiting for a train or perhaps relatives to arrive.  Mutley was the closest to our house in Mannamead.  Millbay was a dark and gloomy place inside but for some reason I do remember the Nestle chocolate machine on the platform perhaps because I spent my Pennies there.  Funny what sticks in your mind!

I first discovered Laira thanks to some trainspotting cousins about the middle of the war although I don't recall any security.  Later the oil tanks along side the Long Shed and the oil burning locos made a difference with their new numbers which opened up a whole new aspect thanks to the ABCs of the era.  Up till then it was scribbles in a school notebook!

Don't know if all this anecdotal; it seems like from another era but surely I'm not old enough for that! :rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Heyoop Phil.

I've been a bit down in the beak myself of late, you have caught up with why now!  I see Tramadol is supposed to have an anti depressive effect, but when I was taking a lot of it, it didn't feel that way at all.  I have cut it in half now and am taking a little more interest in life around me, but sheesh, I know exactly the CBA feeling you describe.  Surgery, pah.

I NEED to be able to get out and DO SOMETHING to shake it off, but I can't as I can't bloody walk and its driving me nuts.  What you just described is really great, to get out and interact and just do something - way to go my friend.   I don't have the dietary issues so you have my sympathies with that, but boy do I have more respect for folk in wheelchairs now, and get so annoyed with all the places with steps I can't get into.  Like my layout room/garage, local shops, even my own work, aaagh!

I really like the idea of hearing duck-powered anecdotes, it may trigger off some of my own to bore you with!

Some middle aged Geordie git.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Here's the reason I like the 'J94' or correctly Austerity saddletanks so much.  When I was a kid the local NCB line from Westoe to Seaburn collieries were steam worked, and about 50 yards from our house.  There was a footbridge over the line (known as the sh*tty bridge, no idea why) that nobody ever used and just crossed the line on foot.  we kids used to go on the bridge and try to drop things down the chimneys of the locos as they passed under - of course the drivers responded by going full regulator under the bridge to cover us in soot and fire the stones or potatos back up....great fun. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Not a tales of old Devon, but a bit of a yarn (there is a pun in here somewhere). Today I was involved in helping out at our local Wildlife Trust reserve, in the lambing shed! (Wooly beasts......yarn..........

Mary had a little lamb

It ran into a pylon

10,000 volts went up its ar$e

And turned its wool to nylon!

Not a tales of old Devon...... but I actually feel better now than I have for weeks.

Anyone up for some anecdotes about Laira or North Road sometime soon, or tales of shed bashing?

Ar$e

Damn good show excellent news.

A very good friend of mine farms sheep just up the road and when I've helped him at this time of the year it makes for a very fulfilling day in all sorts of ways, even in the hissing rain and through the night just seeing new life is just a beauty to behold.

Anecdotes?

YES PLEASE ! :)

• Like 4