SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Phil, Having almost having solved the mysteries of Gresley Pacific tenders, (Gilbert put the last few pieces in place a few Months ago) and almost having recovered from stepping into the minefield that are Pullman's (working those out nearly broke Me until I bought a few of the Antony Ford books).

I am now faced with the prospect that your light spams may also have a tendency to have a mix of different tenders. I am aware of the high sided version as on your model at present (which I think I prefer) and I have seen a stepped version  (all the pics I have seen of those in SR days have the high sided tenders where as the BR versions seem to have a mix).

Edit - I did have a few daft questions but then I found this  which told Me that they were originally all high sided in 4500 or 5500 gal capacity and some were cut down later, so this post is probably irrelevant now :O.

Regards Ted

attachicon.gifbob.jpg

attachicon.gifbob 2.jpg

(Sorry about the rail related post Gents, normal service should resume shortly :))

Fear not dear boy. The truth is out there and the mighty and rather worryingly knowledgeable Too many Spams has all the info you would ever need. With his permission I will try to post a link to his amazing archive.

Nice pics by the way and I'm sure you know that 34070 retained the raved tender until it went?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spam tend.xls

Hope this works.

Spams needs huge thanks for all his work with his Spreadsheets ref SR Stuff; amazing info, most of which I shall have to pretend not to know about when my loco's appear with the wrong cabs, tenders, other bits.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

So although it would be hard to find a more tenuous connection I've just ordered one of these w for Waverley East - after all they did migrate to the LMR, and it's not wholly outside the bounds of possibility that one of them could've found itself doing test runs across the Waverley Route to see if the wheel arrangement would work.

At least that's what I'm saying!

post-10395-0-53833800-1507915851_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So although it would be hard to find a more tenuous connection I've just ordered one of these w for Waverley East - after all they did migrate to the LMR, and it's not wholly outside the bounds of possibility that one of them could've found itself doing test runs across the Waverley Route to see if the wheel arrangement would work.

At least that's what I'm saying!

attachicon.gif10202_web.jpg

You don't one, it is a stinky diesel. :nono: :nono:

I hope I don't offend anyone but as diesel modeller I do find the attitude of some, no many BR period steam modellers odd. I don't know if any of you have had a look at my old layout threads? My train sets seem to be populated by deformed sheets of plastic card masquerading as model locomotives. I have had a go at building many of BR's failures from the modernisation plan . My mates from the Witham club all use to take the micky out of me building locos that lasted only a bit longer than steam locos, that was alright it was when showing my layouts the hostility that could be heard "Another DIESEL layout" as the puffer nutter walked past....balls to the scratchbuilt modelling they were DIESELS. Then out of the blue Heljan followed by others start making these carp DIESELS and who are buying them, not diesel modellers but diehard steam modellers who have a soft spot for a failure or two. Some I know are the same ones who said "Another DIESEL layout", as they go to the same shows and shop in the same shop as me I recognise them as they buy there class thingy " Oh on RMweb they say this and that is wrong but I don't think so."  'King hypocrites. Sorry for the rant.  

You don't one, it is a stinky diesel. :nono: :nono:

I hope I don't offend anyone but as diesel modeller I do find the attitude of some, no many BR period steam modellers odd. I don't know if any of you have had a look at my old layout threads? My train sets seem to be populated by deformed sheets of plastic card masquerading as model locomotives. I have had a go at building many of BR's failures from the modernisation plan . My mates from the Witham club all use to take the micky out of me building locos that lasted only a bit longer than steam locos, that was alright it was when showing my layouts the hostility that could be heard "Another DIESEL layout" as the puffer nutter walked past....balls to the scratchbuilt modelling they were DIESELS. Then out of the blue Heljan followed by others start making these carp DIESELS and who are buying them, not diesel modellers but diehard steam modellers who have a soft spot for a failure or two. Some I know are the same ones who said "Another DIESEL layout", as they go to the same shows and shop in the same shop as me I recognise them as they buy there class thingy " Oh on RMweb they say this and that is wrong but I don't think so."  'King hypocrites. Sorry for the rant.

When I was born my parents owned a house opposite Joppa Statio;on. The f inal few furlongs of the ECML. it was 1955 a nd the LNER Pacific’s we’re turning in some of their best performances. Sadly I was too young to appreciate the wondrous sights passing behind my bedroom window.

In 1959, my father got a job in London`, so we’re were relocated to Purley, smack bang in the middle of three tail territory. I didn’t get out much. As a child, so missed the glorious swan song of steam, but my dad did his best in 00.

Unsurprisingly he was a great Gresley fan, despite being Glaswegian, so my first loco was of course, a Triang Princess Elizabeth!

Over the years that followed, I discovered trains as those horrible things that took me to boarding school and never saw a real steam Engine. So why do I have such an interest in them? Heaven knows

My first diseasel came as a result of a trip dad took to Germany, it was a flieschman Red Stag w221 clas , the progenitor of the warship.

So perhaps I am more open to improvisation than others, after all my only memories of loco hauled. Trips were behind Westerns going on holiday to Cornwall, or Deltics to Scotland

Either way, I too can’t stand rivet counters going on. Too much

One of the great joys of this group is that no one takes it too seriously!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I grew up in Rhyl. The primary school backed on to the Chester-Holyhead main line, the walking route to the high school involved a footbridge over the line.

Locos were blue, 37s and 47s, but I never really took much notice, although I did have an Ian Allen and took a few numbers.

This is possibly why I like Great Western steam locos...

And BR(W) ones.

And 4-wheel bogie small diesels in geen or blue.

Nurse !! ( I married one of those ;) )

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

OK my WC has deffo got a width problem. On the other hand, my Arthur seems to like Peterborough North where it met some very nice coaches.

The WC needs a damn good thrashing. "Grayson..........!"

Phalanges Digitus

Quakers, for some daft reason Hornby in their wisdom decided to release the first few Spam models with b2bs anywhere from 1/2 to 1mm too narrow. Took a while to work out why they fell off at points but all the old Treneglos ones were eventually corrected with wheel pullers. Perhaps Hornby were contemplating an even narrower RTR track gauge. The Peekaboo thread should be told...

• RMweb Premium

Quakers, for some daft reason Hornby in their wisdom decided to release the first few Spam models with b2bs anywhere from 1/2 to 1mm too narrow. Took a while to work out why they fell off at points but all the old Treneglos ones were eventually corrected with wheel pullers. Perhaps Hornby were contemplating an even narrower RTR track gauge. The Peekaboo thread should be told...

Cough, cough... OO-SF ... cough, cough

Edit:

The Pecochuchu thread have just been 'told' to use decent point motors...

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Cough, cough... OO-SF ... cough, cough

Edit:

The Pecochuchu thread have just been 'told' to use decent point motors...

I can see someone wants my Tri-ang clockwork key on the Pecoboo thread. :scratchhead:

The new Peco points do look good, and despite what the purist say about the geometry of them Peco done the right thing and have done them in their standard sizes. The revision at the switch end to improve the looks compared to the old types is great, downside you cannot fit a point motor directly to the point, so what. The review in the Toddler did suggest that people use Peco products, they have to get their adverts in some how, but sensible modellers will use Peco products and not listen to Tim (cheers for the fiver Peco). :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Ducky dear boy are the GUV's the Kernow jobbies?.  :senile:

Nope, these were purchased from many sources when the GUV had 'gone off the radar' and before the Kernow ones appeared, so I got them for less than £20 each. I've got the roof boards waiting somewhere and ICBA to change the numbers (yet).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can see someone wants my Tri-ang clockwork key on the Pecoboo thread. :scratchhead:

The new Peco points do look good, and despite what the purist say about the geometry of them Peco done the right thing and have done them in their standard sizes. The revision at the switch end to improve the looks compared to the old types is great, downside you cannot fit a point motor directly to the point, so what. The review in the Toddler did suggest that people use Peco products, they have to get their adverts in some how, but sensible modellers will use Peco products and not listen to Tim (cheers for the fiver Peco). :sungum:

Talking of geography, having drawn a A5 crossover in TemperTemperlott, it turns out I have perfectly recreated the same geometry as an medium radius code 75 turnout... genius or what?

Ok, what.

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Nope, these were purchased from many sources when the GUV had 'gone off the radar' and before the Kernow ones appeared, so I got them for less than £20 each. I've got the roof boards waiting somewhere and ICBA to change the numbers (yet).

That's good - I thought they'd fallen off!

Talking of geography, having drawn a A5 crossover in TemperTemperlott, it turns out I have perfectly recreated the same geometry as an medium radius code 75 turnout... genius or what?

Ok, what.

Isn't imitation the best form of flattery dear boy ?

• RMweb Premium

Oh joy, that is reassuring. I've probably got loads of cast offs from Ebay then.

Spammers, what sort of 'puller' did you use? I used a screwdriver and the brass gauge and just wibbled the drivers. Probably not a great idea. 

Once again during sleep, I have had an idea. I can replace the '92 tender with one from another loco on a temporary basis. However the lining on '92 will then need changing.....arse.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I grew up in Rhyl. The primary school backed on to the Chester-Holyhead main line, the walking route to the high school involved a footbridge over the line.

Locos were blue, 37s and 47s, but I never really took much notice, although I did have an Ian Allen and took a few numbers.

This is possibly why I like Great Western steam locos...

And BR(W) ones.

And 4-wheel bogie small diesels in geen or blue.

Nurse !! ( I married one of those ;) )

You called.

I too married a nurse and was one myself. Both now retired.

post-16423-0-63416000-1507972272_thumb.png

I have one of these from when I trained, the old fashion way of learning on the job, not sat in some university away from the patients. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That's good - I thought they'd fallen off!

Nah, I am breaking  obeying all the rules of OOFS FFS IOATS* and just taking things from boxes and plonking them on the track. Some other bits sometimes fall off but that's my age......

*OOFS FFS IOATS = OOFS FORFUC#SSAKE ITSONLYATRAINSET.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wifey was an RGN, her oldest sister a Sister, the next oldest an SEN in Manchester RI A&E then an RGN in Cornwall, their mother was a ward assistant on Bangor Gynae ward.

I like computers...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You called.

I too married a nurse and was one myself. Both now retired.

attachicon.gifmid essex.png

I have one of these from when I trained, the old fashion way of learning on the job, not sat in some university away from the patients. 

Safety in retirement as you are both capable of dealing with 'situations'. Excellent.

Philth 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wifey was an RGN, her oldest sister a Sister, the next oldest an SEN in Manchester RI A&E then an RGN in Cornwall, their mother was a ward assistant on Bangor Gynae ward.

I like computers...

Not a problem. You can adjust your pacemaker and Pimp your Electric Buggy and wifey (SWMBO?) can adjust your replacement parts. Good arrangement.

Phil

• Like 1