RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I was a Royal Engineer. Our motto was ‘if at first you don’t succeed , try a bigger hammer!’

When I started work in Derby Loco Works I was told that there was a tool for every job - and most of them were hammers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I used to work for the local electric board (Manweb) and got talking to one of the disconnection engineers. He said he had two main tools in his bag - pliers and a hammer.

The pliers were to cut the wires to effect the disconnection - the hammer was for self defence!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One of the craftsmen in Swindon carriage shops putting the wood panelling in the passenger compartment turns to his young trainee and says “Now, son, to get it looking good, you have to make sure all the screw slots are all to the same angle, so what we do is put the point of the screw in the pilot hole like this, get the slots all lined up like this, and then..”,picking up his hammer, whack, whack, whack...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When I started work in Derby Loco Works I was told that there was a tool for every job - and most of them were hammers.

Count yourself lucky you weren't at Crewe - the LNWR heritage would have ensured that they used sledgehammers when something smaller would do the job.

PS How do you take down the valvegear on a Coal Tank?  With a sledgehammer and a cold chisel according to someone who was sent out to a running shed to do such a job.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Getting one's slots all lined up is essential. I discovered that this afternoon when I eventually got out the Modified Spam No. '45 (that failed a few weeks back with what was very probably failed geras). Out came me new tool for undoing the Speedo Cable wheel 'bolt'. Out came the replacement gear train set purchased recently. On the table they went. Couple of screwdrivers and a dob of blue tak. 5 minutes to take apart the Decoder/gear cover and rear motor mount.

Yup, split smaller gear on the top set (not the worm of course and not the gear on the driving axle). Replace that, leaving other parts spare, put back together in about ten minutes; there is a lot of play inside that gearbox so I pumped in some lovely grease.

Ascend to loft, place on track, power up the Controller and lo, it moved smoothly and ....oh, there is a strange clicking sound........ A minute to identify that - it is the Speedo Cable catching on the wheel nut as that revolves. Tweak. She be sorted. 

There we go and in about half an hour and I have a Mod Spam on the Car Carrier (but it doesn't have Route Discs yet).

Oh yes, the Blue Tak. Used that to hold the little Speedo/Wheel 'bolt' on a screwdriver when refitting it, using the new Tool when it was in place.

Think I'll have a Brandy to celebrate.

Ar$£

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I feel like taking a hammer and cold chisel to my railway.  Just can't seem to get into the right mood, not enjoying it.

Go get a book or two and look at some prototype stuff. Spend time studying the details. Think about what could look good on a layout. Decide the thing that will look excellent on your layout. Have a glass of  (enter as desired) and let that thought mature. 

Repeat but with scenic stuff.

Repeat but with weathering stuff.

Have a rest.

Get out a couple of those roundtuit plastic wagon/van kits. get the solvent, Open and sniff the solvent. Begin construction of kits.

Sucessful regeneration of enthusiasm guaranteed.

Go for it.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Comrades

I have just returned from Gilbertborough Peterborough and seen the guttering for real. It is 0 gauge. Looks wonderful for those who play with big trains but us mere 00 mortals I feel it would be too big.

Mr Wright was holding court as normal. Mr York was playing with a wooden lazer cut train running on wooden lazer cut track. It was questioned if the track was on Templot. The punters all looked like they were enjoying themselves and the traders looked very happy at 4.00pm.

I had a nice time.

• Like 5

I feel like taking a hammer and cold chisel to my railway.  Just can't seem to get into the right mood, not enjoying it.

Not an unusual situation. There are times when I look at the magnitude of what I set out to do at Waverley East and realise it wold be daunting enough for a club layout let alone little old me on my ownsome

Then I pause to watch a mundane train trundle by and savour the thought that I made that scene possible. Ok I bought in the materials to make it with, but t no one else helped so , hell yeah, I feel good about it again

Usually I find this make me refocus on the issue that is bugging me, usually after my 02.00 Bladder relief trip,and the solution starts to take shape

Problem is, I then fall asleep and can see only vaguely remember the details next morning!

• Like 3

Comrades

I have just returned from Gilbertborough Peterborough and seen the guttering for real. It is 0 gauge. Looks wonderful for those who play with big trains but us mere 00 mortals I feel it would be too big.

Mr Wright was holding court as normal. Mr York was playing with a wooden lazer cut train running on wooden lazer cut track. It was questioned if the track was on Templot. The punters all looked like they were enjoying themselves and the traders looked very happy at 4.00pm.

I had a nice time.

Sounds a nice day out SWMBO decided I needed to keep up with attempts to get healthier, so another day in the garden ensued

Looking forward to going back to work tomorrow for a rest!

• RMweb Premium

Feeling enthused after a morning at Pottyborough Show. Caught up with Tony Wright and, very oddly, a former work colleague who I haven't seen for 14 years and who I never knew was involved with model making but is rather good (to say the least!) at building and painting locos.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tackywax is great for keeping tiny screws and things on the end of tools - I have a tub on the bench permanently at work.

Just remembered I have another Spamalot too, the BR lettered one in Malachite - forgot about that....wonder where it is?  Tidied by SWMBO I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

While out and about today I was allowed around the back of Hinton Parva to have a good look at the Kernow Bulleid 1Co-Co1 and the big Warship, both models look great. They both were hauling fair sized trains with ease. Phil, had the 1Co-Co1s been sent to the LMR by your time period for Seaton Junction?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

While out and about today I was allowed around the back of Hinton Parva to have a good look at the Kernow Bulleid 1Co-Co1 and the big Warship, both models look great. They both were hauling fair sized trains with ease. Phil, had the 1Co-Co1s been sent to the LMR by your time period for Seaton Junction?

Yes, however they did have a run about a little earlier................not that much earlier. I have a photo. Excuses, excuses. :O  :mail:  :rtfm:  :blind:  :sarcastichand:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tackywax is great for keeping tiny screws and things on the end of tools - I have a tub on the bench permanently at work.

Just remembered I have another Spamalot too, the BR lettered one in Malachite - forgot about that....wonder where it is?  Tidied by SWMBO I suppose.

I'm aware of tiny screws on the end of tools due to the number of dinbats I have met over the years, but had forgotten about Tackywax; (is that used in Brazil?) 

P

• RMweb Premium

Yes, however they did have a run about a little earlier................not that much earlier. I have a photo. Excuses, excuses. :O  :mail:  :rtfm:  :blind:  :sarcastichand:

P

Now, the 'Big Warship' is another matter. One of those having failed on a diversion could be arranged. Wouldn't even need any innards or a Decoder.  :imsohappy:  :whistle:

Funniest thing I've seen Today. I shall go to work with a smile now. Thanks Phil. :jester:

Smile now Wiped off. Due to a change of Job.1800 - 0400

Now out by road in a car (that bit is ok)

Load train and then 130km trip on the worlds roughest branchline at 30km/h  with a dirty great shunt midway and it's going to Bucket down. :(

• Like 1

Load train and then 130km trip on the worlds roughest branchline at 30km/h  with a dirty great shunt midway and it's going to Bucket down. :(

G'Day Gents

Don't you love the Aussie weather, keep your head in the cab.

manna

We are Both full drivers on Manna, so it might be handbags at 20 paces to see who gets out in the rain to do the shunting. Also it's a new Mate so there can be no "I shunted last time card".

Where's the good old days where there was a clear second man to go out in the rain (although it wasn't so good when you were the second man :O) or even a guard as a third to do the ground work?

anyway - night all !!

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You need the rain though from what I've heard?

Phil

You need the rain though from what I've heard?

Phil

Probably a bit late for the grain Farmers now Phil. Although a top up for the Dams is always welcome. It might delay the onset of the brown and crispy landscape by a few weeks too. Although quite often the down side is that much of the bush gets a second sprouting of grasses etc and then is just turning to highly flammable fuel just in time for the height of the fire season. 

On yesterdays note - it was quite a good shift in the end and My new temporary Mate was quite a joy to work with, unfortunately when I got home at 0400 I accidentally bought a rake of those excellent Hornby all steel Pullman K's in my bleary eyed state when My willpower to fight off impulse buys was at it's lowest. :)

However I am still a bit undecided on how much I really need / want an air smoothed Exeter. It fits in with nothing else I own - but the Force seems strong.

Anyway I've had an excellent sleep today and off to the same job as last night shortly, with same offsider, so hopefully that goes just as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The tackywax tub at work was looking very sheepish today, the dance school next door has lots of potential customers :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Still not found that Malachite Spam - maybe it got put away for Christmas - which would be odd as we don't celebrate it........