SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I do loathe the way that Starbucks asks for your name each time you have the temerity to order a coffee.

Yesterday I was 'Mr Cuthbertson' and the youngster fooling around on the till had to ask me how to spell it!

I think it's quite very brave of you to admit that you've actually been into a branch of Starmucks at least once.   Although I did actually go into our local branch once - that was quite enough and if I ever (very unlikely) go into one of their establishments again and they ask my name I shall make it absolutely clear that I don't want my name associated with the peculiar underheated oddly flavoured water they have the temerity to describe as 'tea'.

• Like 1

I do loathe the way that Starbucks asks for your name each time you have the temerity to order a coffee.

Yesterday I was 'Mr Cuthbertson' and the youngster fooling around on the till had to ask me how to spell it!

Its the American way and as we know anything American exports itself all over.  When I first arrived in this country a long time ago, the US Customs agent looked at my passport and exclaimed "Welcome to the US, Brian".  I was a bit taken aback as nobody other than friends had ever called me by my Christian name, it was always my surname or maybe even Mr. Willis, but its been like this ever since as I suspect it is also in the UK now.

"We're all pals together............".  How many other went to the ABC cinemas on a Saturday morning?

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

I do find difficulty reconciling "Starbucks" and "coffee" in the same sentence.

Good Moaning Chaps.

Here's another little video I found whilst perusing the Interweb.

Not as Suvvern orientated as the last, but the odd Spam makes an appearance.

There's a fairly sizable wheelslip between the 3 and 15 second mark, check out the sparks off the rear drivers at 12 secs :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdwuHjsm0Q

Cheers Ted

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good Moaning Chaps.

Here's another little video I found whilst perusing the Interweb.

Not as Suvvern orientated as the last, but the odd Spam makes an appearance.

There's a fairly sizable wheelslip between the 3 and 15 second mark, check out the sparks off the rear drivers at 12 secs :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdwuHjsm0Q

Cheers Ted

Hi Ted

Cor what an interesting short film. The SR green Mk1 behind the Brit, must be one of the steam heat ones swapped for a dual heat one while the Bournemouth line was being electrocuted. And the scratchy bog paper van in the train being pulled by the very dirty 9F.

As for the de-canned spammer, Notwork Rail spent a fortune on a rail grinder, all they need to do is hire a few persevered Bulleids, job done. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do find difficulty reconciling "Starbucks" and "coffee" in the same sentence.

Needs must when you're on the A303 after dark and trying to avoid the Little Chefs.

I prefer the coffee in Waterstones and usually a nice comfy seat as well, to rest the aching plates of meat when shopping with the girlfriend.

Is this the Waterstones in Drake Circus or the other one down by WH Smith?

We usually like the Costa in Waterstones.

Needs must when you're on the A303 after dark and trying to avoid the Little Chefs.

Do little chef’s still exist? I thought they’d gone bust. Years ago, we stopped at one on the A1(M) and they’d had no supplies and all the 18year olds could make was bacon sarnie and chips. Was very good and we tipped generously.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Either and also Basingstoke, Birmingham near the Bull Ring and Southampton.

Good moaning one and all,

As I am not a connisewer of Suvvern stuff may I ask why these kettles almost always seem to have wheel slip when starting off.

A.Numpty

• RMweb Gold

As I am not a connisewer of Suvvern stuff may I ask why these kettles almost always seem to have wheel slip when starting off.

A.Numpty

They have automatic olive oil dispensers fitted to the leading driving axles.

• RMweb Premium

A.Numpty

Cause they are like racehorses and gather themselves up at the start of the race and then accelerate away rapidly. They also sometimes excrete just before starting. 

They had a bit of a habit of slipping whilst at speed as well and that was quite 'interesting' by all accounts. The lighter Pacifics like the Spams and even A4s were a bit light footed. CK was correct about the unmodified examples and they were responsible for creating the oil slicks at starting points at stations. The 'modified' machines were a bit more sure footed, most of the time, but as with the 'Packet' in the clip , when they were pretty well knackered, they could produce fireworks.

Phlip 

• RMweb Gold

They have all gone from the A 303, having travelled on that road last Saturday and Wednesday there was a Starmucks sign on all of them. :umbrage:

Chrisf will be pee'd off nowhere to get an Olympic breakfast on that route.

. The 'modified' machines were a bit more sure footed, most of the time, but as with the 'Packet' in the clip , when they were pretty well knackered, they could produce fireworks.

Produce Fireworks indeed Phil,

I Just finished reading about some of the 100mph plus runs made by some of the MN's right at the death knock in the late 60's including one occasion Where 35003 was timed at at 106mph and then 105 mph two days later. Another occasion when one ran the 83 miles from Salisbury to Waterloo on the ACE in 72 minutes ( that's an average of 69 mph if my sums are right), all in the twilight of steam on normal services.

Not bad for a bunch of supposedly clapped out old engines that were due for imminent retirement because they were old technology and no longer suitable for the BR corporate image. :O

I wish I was around to see it. It would have been quite something.I think.

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1514554683837.jpg

T9 30120 evokes memories of the "Withered Arm". During the Swanage Railway Winter Warm Up event, 28/12/17. Photo: Ken Cooper

That's a Q Class Nelson that Horny Bee (you can tell because of the weed just to the right of the Fire Buckets) are going to pretend to produce when really they are just going to reveal a smoke unit.

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

Do you have something against big Chefs then CK and if so, how many do you think you may have mown down during your adventures on the 303?

Phut.

• RMweb Premium

Most locos with front and read trucks/bogies are light footed at starting - due to weight transference from front to rear.  The same thing makes 4-6-0's very sure footed as the weight goes back on to the drivers.  However they can't have a big enough firebox to make enough steam to produce high horsepower continuously at speed.  In the '47 loco exchanges a GW footplate inspector was impressed with an A4's climbing abilities, as he said a King or Castle could not have continuously steamed at the rate the A4 did.  Shame it broke later....but they were rather run down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most locos with front and read trucks/bogies are light footed at starting - due to weight transference from front to rear.  The same thing makes 4-6-0's very sure footed as the weight goes back on to the drivers.  However they can't have a big enough firebox to make enough steam to produce high horsepower continuously at speed.  In the '47 loco exchanges a GW footplate inspector was impressed with an A4's climbing abilities, as he said a King or Castle could not have continuously steamed at the rate the A4 did.  Shame it broke later....but they were rather run down.

That's the trade off perfectly explained. A 4-6-0 starts better but a 4-6-2 can accommodate a much bigger firebox and produce more steam. All the 4-6-2 classes slipped more than their 4-6-0 brethren and it must be remembered that the Bulleid Light Pacifics were just that - light.

They were designed to provide high power on a low axle weight. On some lines the new locos meant double heading was eliminated and new, faster timings were introduced. They were almost a go anywhere loco - something you couldn't say for an A4, Princess or the big WR 4-6-0s.

• Like 1