SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

From Faceache:

Something a bit different- the empty stock of Sir Winston Churchill's Funeral Train being returned worked by a Western class diesel 53 years ago today, January 30th 1965..

Unknown photographer.

post-1328-0-87883900-1517307145_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

From Faceache:

Something a bit different- the empty stock of Sir Winston Churchill's Funeral Train being returned worked by a Western class diesel 53 years ago today, January 30th 1965..

Unknown photographer.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1517307068034.jpg

Never seen that before. Mike will identify where it is no doubt.

P

• Like 2

H ACE 2?

Mel Don

I wish ! Mind you I'm not sure the rest of the village here would welcome it  :protest:

That said, my ex brother in laws property was on the planned HS2 route and the proposed line ran straight through his kitchen ! Oh how I laughed, never did like him, stuck up so n' so .

G.Ricer

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Premium

I wish ! Mind you I'm not sure the rest of the village here would welcome it  :protest:

That said, my ex brother in laws property was on the planned HS2 route and the proposed line ran straight through his kitchen ! Oh how I laughed, never did like him, stuck up so n' so .

G.Ricer

That's a laugh. My son (building projects/costings manager) gave an interesting view on HS2 Project the other day. He has decided it is a great project as it passes through some of the richest ba####ds'  land/residential areas, but will be of no use to them at all as there are no stations planned until it reaches parts of the country that more represent the residents and working people that will benefit. I was quite surprised as I expected him to  say it was a folly of huge expense that would be better spent elsewhere.

P

• Like 3

From Faceache:

Unknown photographer.

Another unique aspect of this is that it is D1015 Western Champion the only Western to carry Golden Ochre as a service livery which it did from build in 1963 to June 1965.

Until around 1967/68 when they were all repainted in BR corporate smudge, they wore a range of green or maroon liveries. It has been rumoured that the green ones were selected to tun on routes that could have gone through former LSWR territory so as not to upset the locals with he sigh of a maroon box with all its attendant Maybach serenade.

I've always been a fan of the '1000's', especially since travelling being a pair of them on an overnight sleeper from a holiday in Penzance at the age of 15 to join a school outing helping handicapped children for a week in the Summer break.

It was only many years later that I discovered the priest who organised these trips was a rampant ####### who got sent off to prison for eight years.

As it happened he never behaved in any inappropriate way with me. In fact he once came to my rescue after a particularly nasty bicycle accident on the way home from school.

Funny old world! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rode behind her back in 2000 on the CRE, King Edward 1 was having problems with some poor coal so 5015 was put on the front at Taunton

and dragged the train down to Exeter where Nunney Castle was subsituted.

post-8647-0-28357000-1517313767_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

From Faceache:

Unknown photographer.

It seems to be  a slight crop from one of my photos...

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Handborough area it is.I remember it was a cold wait for the return working, but I stayed to see Winston Churchill following  light engine. It's somewhere behind this cloud of steam.

4319780900_ea5b1a2cc0_b.jpg2-18-2008_004 by David Harvey, on Flickr

I had cycled out from Oxford after seeing the start of the journey on TV.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by unravelled
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bad news - Little Loco Co. 7mm Ruston 48DS loco delayed due to production problems, much sympathy with the company but hopefully all will come good in the end.

Good news - Hattons 4mm Barclays still looking lovely and hopefully on the way soon.

It would be rude not to get a Barclay, in my opinion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Handborough area it is.I remember it was a cold wait for the return working, but I stayed to see Winston Churchill following  light engine. It's somewhere behind this cloud of steam.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Dave - that's one of two possible other sites the picture of the thousand - either near Burleigh Fram towards Handborough or on the curve towards Yarnton but the excavations and backfilling in the cess suggested to me that it was south of Oxford.   However the signal in the 34051 pic now suggests the latter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

Dave

Blimey, that steam is either a bit of a fluke or poor old Winny has a problem. Maybe that's why the diesel took the stock on return?

Phil

They did but they really need to be working on getting the route for the ACE back into action ;)

Once again there's an article in a recent HR mag which raises the return of the Southern route though Tavvy, amongst other potential routes return to service, so someone's still talking about it!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Have just passed through Liskeard, on The Golden Hind to Paddington. Still dark outside, but hoping to see the RAB as we pass over.

Nice big comfy leather seats, have not ventured near the ablutions room yet...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have just passed through Liskeard, on The Golden Hind to Paddington. Still dark outside, but hoping to see the RAB as we pass over.

Nice big comfy leather seats, have not ventured near the ablutions room yet...

I hope you do better than my last trip a fortnight ago, when the GH sat at NA for nearly an hour, while a fitter worked on the leading power car with limited success. I still caught my booked Eurostar that day, but that was 90’ late in Paris due to a fatality, which meant we were diverted from Lille to Amiens and up the old Golden Arrow route. There are some days when catching a train is a dodgy caper!