RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Just to put CK out of his misery.

All together now

Is this what is known amongst the younger elements of society as 'popular music?'

...for wayward boys and girls.

I don't think we should be celebrating waywardness, any more than it is appropriate for a shop to call itself 'Trespass'.

Grossly irresponsible.

• RMweb Gold

You were looking at other women while on your honeymoon!?!

I remember years ago having dinner on the train leaving St Pancras and the steward was serving our table soup, which he spilled over the table as we went over some pointwork. I asked why he didn't wait until we had passed over that piece of track and he replied that there wasn't time to stop and so someone got split soup most evenings! I was convinced he did it deliberately.

Have they never heard of cup-a-soup ?

• RMweb Gold

Dear Grossly,

Is it preferable to be a wayward girl or a westward ho?

U Thoffender

Dear Mr Thoffender,

You are clearly one of the lowly Thoffenders of Eccles, rather than from the Upper Class branch of the family, the Thofenders, from Blubberhouses.

I feel that you need an uplifting story of the Youth of Today, so here's one for you - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45573247

You are welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Drs Gerbil-Fritters are enjoying a sunny break in Mallorca...

attachicon.gif20180916_154727.jpg

And after that, The Dr Mrs G-F fell and broke her wrist. Ah, holidays. Doncha love 'em?

Ouch, I do hope she is OK and you? Is that a relative of mine in the middle foreground?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

No, I think it's the Loch Ness monster.

Dear Captain

Are you sure, because I don't think dear old Nessie goes on holiday to the Balearics. I had been informed that he preferred the Faeroe Islands as his destination when on vacation, if there is no room at the posh hotel in Blubberhouses. 

• RMweb Gold

When you were in BR management did your job mean that you went from one meeting in a posh hotel to another meeting in a posh hotel? Cos you do seem to know where they are.

I can’t really speak for UDJ, and sadly my meeting schedule never coincided with his, but I can say that there was a small cadre of “professional meeting attenders” in some departments, who spent a lot of time representing their function on technical etc matters. I greatly doubt UDJ was ever such a person, having known a couple of his predecessors in one of his roles, who were far too busy running their function to be absent more than truly necessary. And all those meetings took place in ordinary railway offices.

I think I only once attended an ordinary meeting in a hotel, although it was quite extraordinary because the late Mrs Dudley Mk 1 was legitimately at the same meeting, which was about arrangements at Charing Cross for the Charles and Di wedding. I did attend a meeting in the basement of the GN Hotel, but that hardly counts. It was to discuss the Knight Wendling Report into the failure to introduce DOO on the suburban services out of Euston. And it was chaired by one of the two BRB Joint Managing Directors, so I was very small beer indeed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had forgotten this tune from my early childhood. Wot a sad song I didn't realise that there was no milk for the breakfast cereal, how inconsiderate to peg it before delivering the milk. :cry:  :cry:  

I agree. Ernie would never have let down his customers like that.

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr Thoffender,

You are clearly one of the lowly Thoffenders of Eccles, rather than from the Upper Class branch of the family, the Thofenders, from Blubberhouses.

I feel that you need an uplifting story of the Youth of Today, so here's one for you - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45573247

You are welcome.

Bless.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can’t really speak for UDJ, and sadly my meeting schedule never coincided with his, but I can say that there was a small cadre of “professional meeting attenders” in some departments, who spent a lot of time representing their function on technical etc matters. I greatly doubt UDJ was ever such a person, having known a couple of his predecessors in one of his roles, who were far too busy running their function to be absent more than truly necessary. And all those meetings took place in ordinary railway offices.

I think I only once attended an ordinary meeting in a hotel, although it was quite extraordinary because the late Mrs Dudley Mk 1 was legitimately at the same meeting, which was about arrangements at Charing Cross for the Charles and Di wedding. I did attend a meeting in the basement of the GN Hotel, but that hardly counts. It was to discuss the Knight Wendling Report into the failure to introduce DOO on the suburban services out of Euston. And it was chaired by one of the two BRB Joint Managing Directors, so I was very small beer indeed.

There were indeed Ian and some of them used to take their "Travelling Secretaries" as well. No names, no pack drill.

In the role you are alluding to, many meetings took place either at Essex House or Southern House of course. A former ASM at BTON always had a cheese and tomato toastie and a gin-and-tonic on his way back to the Coast afterwards.

• Like 1