Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

That's Southern stuff, like I said earlier it was like riding a Leyland PD2, on a good day.... a Leyland National on a normal day. :yes: :yes:

You are a bus spotter and I claim my £10...............

• RMweb Premium

Serious 'ead on for a moment, EMUs and how they rode. I was talking to a chap who is very knowledgeable about railways and a good modeller. He hails from Merseyside and was use to travelling in AM4s (class 304 for the younger viewers) and he said they bounced all over the place, not comfortable at all. He went on to say at one point he was living in London and had a girlfriend in Southend and would travel on the various types of unit the ER had. These were Mk1 stock built at the same time as the LMR class 304s, like the 304s were fitted with Gresley bogies (with roller bearings). He said that the ride in the ER stock was much smoother. He put it down to the fitters at Illford knowing how to look after the Gresley bogies where the LMR blokes didn't.

Thank goodness I never traveled on 304s, cos 302s, 305s, and 308s were not in the same league as a Clacton. As for 307s with there SR bogies you knew that they must have short of working units for the Colchester line when one of them was under your bottom.

You are a bus spotter and I claim my £10...............

I have an interest in other forms of public transport that was contemporary with my railway modelling period. Lowdeckers  were by far the most comfy 1950s and 60s buses.

• RMweb Premium

. Lowdeckers  were by far the most comfy 1950s and 60s buses.

Lowdekkas surely?

(I can tell the difference between Park Royal and Northern Counties bodied GM standards.......)

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

That's Southern stuff, like I said earlier it was like riding a Leyland PD2, on a good day.... a Leyland National on a normal day. :yes: :yes:

You may be right as far as REPs/TCs are concerned, particularly in the Down direction, but the Brighton Replacement units were excellent (but I would say that, wouldn't I?).

• RMweb Premium

You may be right as far as REPs/TCs are concerned, particularly in the Down direction, but the Brighton Replacement units were excellent (but I would say that, wouldn't I?).

As an apprentice with the CEGB I use to travel from Brighton back home to Bedford, CIGs and BIGs were as comfortable as a Cricklewood based Derby suburban DMU, just didn't have the accompanying exhaust fumes.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: 

Lowdekkas surely?

(I can tell the difference between Park Royal and Northern Counties bodied GM standards.......)

I am not that sad. :no: :no:

• RMweb Gold

Cigs etc all rode differently from their elders the CEPs, certainly. I felt there was a nervous component to the ride. And once the power supplies on the Brighton Main Line had been uplifted I felt the Cig ride deteriorated at the higher speeds. But then at about that time the Civil Engineer had a ride-test train, full of people like me, pressing buttons to indicate quality of comfort, so perhaps he felt standards had slipped.

Serious 'ead on for a moment, EMUs and how they rode. I was talking to a chap who is very knowledgeable about railways and a good modeller. He hails from Merseyside and was use to travelling in AM4s (class 304 for the younger viewers) and he said they bounced all over the place, not comfortable at all. He went on to say at one point he was living in London and had a girlfriend in Southend and would travel on the various types of unit the ER had. These were Mk1 stock built at the same time as the LMR class 304s, like the 304s were fitted with Gresley bogies (with roller bearings). He said that the ride in the ER stock was much smoother.

Tertiary suspension, Clive - all them springs in the seat cushions.

A M Fourfan

• RMweb Premium

:banghead: :banghead:

Back the Hornby Brush Type 2 and its rotten chassis. I bet all the ones who are now finding they have a self destruct loco are collectors. Their mint collection of locos has decided to try and break out. Thus in their minds the collection has become worthless and it all Hornby's fault. :ireful: :ireful:

If they were intent on building a layout they would have banged a few nails in some 2b1 and slopped on a chipboard top and got on with it. :locomotive:

What collectors forget is that there is no value in a pile of junk unless there is a mug who will buy it. :crazy:

Another name for collecting is hording......well that's what Mrs M calls my pile of boxes. :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I remember standing at Crewe awaiting a train south one day (I think it was a Works Open Day) right at the end of the Clacton's mainline lives when a pair rolled in bound for Birmingham, working as an relief train. Myself and my mate both saw it at the same time, and in stereo said "we're having that!" OK, not their usual territory, but a high speed trash up the WCML more than proved their capabilities. Everyone else at Crewe waiting for something more mundane; an 86, 87 or 90.

As for Lodekka buses, my all time favourite; Bristol AVW engine, sans CBC heating for preference, but all are most agreeable. Are there any bridge "up the Junction" which need a bus positioned atop to be complete?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lowdekkas surely?

I've been waiting for a decent looking bus to come along since the late 70s. Shall I give up now and walk the journey?

P

• RMweb Premium

I've been waiting for a decent looking bus to come along since the late 70s. Shall I give up now and walk the journey?

P

Late '70's hmm, that'll be when many of the Lodekkas were withdrawn. :cry:

If you do decide to walk I can guarantee one thing - as soon as you're too far away from the stop to hail it, three will come along together....

• RMweb Premium

I remember standing at Crewe awaiting a train south one day (I think it was a Works Open Day) right at the end of the Clacton's mainline lives when a pair rolled in bound for Birmingham, working as an relief train. Myself and my mate both saw it at the same time, and in stereo said "we're having that!" OK, not their usual territory, but a high speed trash up the WCML more than proved their capabilities. Everyone else at Crewe waiting for something more mundane; an 86, 87 or 90.

As for Lodekka buses, my all time favourite; Bristol AVW engine, sans CBC heating for preference, but all are most agreeable. Are there any bridge "up the Junction" which need a bus positioned atop to be complete?

No buses on bridges at The Junction, however there will be Bustitution services (Engineering, and for the Seaton Branch winter Sunday service I think it was?) and there was one service that actually passed the Station at one time; I have the info somewhere but CBA to dig that out at the moment.

If I'd chosen Axminster I could have had the Taunton to Axminster (and then Sidmouth or Seaton?) service proper job. Brist0ls I think  :nono:

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

All this talk about EMUs on the BRSR; those Nelsons were a treat, beautifully furnished and rock and rolled like the early Beatles and Stones.

P  

Now that is a different experience. I am lucky enough to had some lively rides just before they went to the scrap heap. Oddly it was a bit roller coaster but comfy at the same time.

• RMweb Gold

Here we go now that my Chi has been centered:

attachicon.gifImg_0062.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0063.jpg

Just in case anyone wants to leap in, no filling or fettling has taken place yet and the cab roof has not been attached, just 'placed'. The nasty seams/gaps should disappear........... :scratchhead:

First to strike lucky will win the prize.

I. Thankyou

It is a Locomotive Engine.

• RMweb Gold

No buses on bridges at The Junction

I think you should, however, have what is commonly known as a traction engine on a bridge. The cast iron sign bolted to the bridge parapet (cast by Blodwell & Stodge, Engineers, Bolton) may, however, refer to Locomotive Engines.

• RMweb Premium

Cigs etc all rode differently from their elders the CEPs, certainly. I felt there was a nervous component to the ride. And once the power supplies on the Brighton Main Line had been uplifted I felt the Cig ride deteriorated at the higher speeds. But then at about that time the Civil Engineer had a ride-test train, full of people like me, pressing buttons to indicate quality of comfort, so perhaps he felt standards had slipped.

There was a definite difference between the Phase 1 MBSOs with Mk 4 motor bogies and the Phase 2 with Mk6s but I never felt nervous unless I was in the front or rear cars (Sweet Hill, 19/12/78 refers).

• RMweb Gold

There was a definite difference between the Phase 1 MBSOs with Mk 4 motor bogies and the Phase 2 with Mk6s but I never felt nervous unless I was in the front or rear cars (Sweet Hill, 19/12/78 refers).

I think I was turning up Chatham trains round at Beckenham Junction that evening, due to a bomb scare at Herne Hill. Made my difficulties seem awfully trivial.

• RMweb Premium

I think I was turning up Chatham trains round at Beckenham Junction that evening, due to a bomb scare at Herne Hill. Made my difficulties seem awfully trivial.

It was a few years before my time but obviously seared into the memories of my colleagues when I was at Lovers' Walk.