92214 Cock of the North to stay at the GCR (Now Central Star) - Soon to be 92220 Evening Star

Wild Boar Fell

Yes it looks very smart, but have to admit feeling unease as it's not authentic

Of course it is authentic - look at the picture. Time stands still for no-one. Was the first red Duchess not authentic?

If the owner wants to run it lined and named, then that is how it will be!

Mike

PS pity it aint staying ont Moors.

Not convinced by the lining either. Not because it's inauthentic - I think 48624 looks great, as did the Fairburns in their pre-grouping liveries, and several other examples - just doesn't suit it to my eye. Ah well, there are bigger issues in life!

Nobody plays silly beggars with the restoration and the thousands of £££'s involved. It's only at the final stage that licence takes over, and if folk see it as preservation it'll break yer flippin' hearts. Join Mr & Mrs Blogs and enjoy the show. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't even have the smells to enjoy.... :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it looks superb - for the preservation market and it's certainly better than It's appearance in its final days at Southall 81C:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/4195030863/in/set-72157622560707494

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13156785@N06/8287397208/in/photostream/

but I think I'll stick to my nicely weathered 9F for Great West Road...though I'll be heading straight for 92241 if we get to the GCR - armed with camera, video....

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it looks superb - for the preservation market and it's certainly better than It's appearance in its final days at Southall 81C:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/4195030863/in/set-72157622560707494

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13156785@N06/8287397208/in/photostream/

but I think I'll stick to my nicely weathered 9F for Great West Road...though I'll be heading straight for 92241 if we get to the GCR - armed with camera, video....

Call me "Old Mr Picky" if you like, but 92241 was scrapped (see caption below first pic) - the Nine with the Line(s) is 92214! ;)

At the end of the day the now previous owner of this loco wanted to apply the names and line it out and as he had paid for it he is damn well entitled to. If you own a steam engine yourself you can do as you like with it as you are paying for it. It is now down to the new owner if they want to keep the lining and names.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the purists, and I normally count myself amongst them, would prefer to see authentic names and liveries, these changes are at least easily reversible so I can be more tolerant of them.

To my mind, more of an issue are changes that are almost irreversible without a huge amount of money being spent.

WSR creation of 9351 immediately springs to mind, and there are plenty of other instances of locos being used as donors towards 'new builds' rather than restored in their own right. :fie:

I think that the name "Cock o' the North" is rather a special one to many modellers, and my joy when the newbuild P2 was announced was somewhat tempered when I learned that it was not to inherit that name (and number 2001) as would have been appropriate, and its use on another loco seems somewhat throwaway:

The name was suggested by the Company Secretary of PV Premier Ltd, owners of No. 92214. While she somehow thought it appropriate to use a name originally applied to the Chief of the Clan Gordon, she had no idea that it had been used for what the NYMR website describes as a “very similar type of engine”. http://www.nymr.co.uk/2011/04/cock-o-the-north-unveiled/

Dear oh dear ...

Edit: typo.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a fan of either the lining or the name, but it's not my loco, I didn't contribute towards its restoration so I don't really think I have any right to criticise; in any case at least 92214 is still with us, unlike its 200+ classmates which were scrapped so tragically early in their (potential) lives.

If it were the only active preserved 9F, I suppose I might feel differently! 

... I don't really think I have any right to criticise ...

I'm afraid that I've never been very good at "grinning and bearing it". For instance, it might be argued that there was nothing to stop the chap down the road naming his house "Green Gables" as he did. Mrs bb would never let me knock on his door and point out that, while it had green tiles, the roof was hipped with never a gable in sight. I'm sure that he would have been eternally grateful had I put him right!

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that I've never been very good at "grinning and bearing it". For instance, it might be argued that there was nothing to stop the chap down the road naming his house "Green Gables" as he did. Mrs bb would never let me knock on his door and point out that, while it had green tiles, the roof was hipped with never a gable in sight. I'm sure that he would have been eternally grateful had I put him right!

He would doubtless have expressed his thanks in an appropriate manner!

For goodness sake stop bleating about what colour or lining the owners have put on THEIR engine, this is just the next stage in its life. This site and others are peppered with people moaning about what colour other people paint their engines - the 7F on the S&DJR thread, the red 8F at peak railway, the red Jinty that was at the midland railway centre even David Sheppard when he named HIS 9F Black Prince 40 years (YES) FORTY YEARS A GO. Just deal with it and rejoice in the fact that the locos are still with us. Pre-grouping engines that lasted through to BR days would have gone through many livery changes in there lives. Remember like David Sheppards 9F the owners of this one have owned it MORE than 4 times longer than as some of you claim "its true owners"

live and let live and please get a life 

For goodness sake stop bleating about what colour or lining the owners have put on THEIR engine, this is just the next stage in its life. This site and others are peppered with people moaning about what colour other people paint their engines - the 7F on the S&DJR thread, the red 8F at peak railway, the red Jinty that was at the midland railway centre even David Sheppard when he named HIS 9F Black Prince 40 years (YES) FORTY YEARS A GO. Just deal with it and rejoice in the fact that the locos are still with us. Pre-grouping engines that lasted through to BR days would have gone through many livery changes in there lives. Remember like David Sheppards 9F the owners of this one have owned it MORE than 4 times longer than as some of you claim "its true owners"

live and let live and please get a life 

I'm sure there was a way of saying what you said politely.  Attitudes change and I remember a time when there was some relief that locos were at last being given historically correct liveries, but there we are. Doesn't bother me.  I presume it wouldn't bother you if a London tram was finished in bamboo wallpaper...?  :D

I'm sure there was a way of saying what you said politely.  Attitudes change and I remember a time when there was some relief that locos were at last being given historically correct liveries, but there we are. Doesn't bother me.  I presume it wouldn't bother you if a London tram was finished in bamboo wallpaper...?  :D

If this was a new argument you would be right but this turkey has been tossed around as long as the preservation movement has been going and no I wouldn’t mind what colour a London tram was painted as long as it was saved. I went on the centre entrance Feltham when she was in the bright blue British steel colours and I was mighty glad I had the chance to ride on her too something I might not have ever done if they hadn’t helped finance her return to running order. Steve

post-17847-0-38069200-1391034018.jpg

Archived