Chapel en le Frith (Central) more shows for 2024

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

After a long time in gestation we are now starting to see major progress on our new 4mm finescale layout in the Leeds Club. Eons ago we had a discussion in the club based on two potential layout locations - Armley Moor Bramley or Chapel en le Frith - Chapel won.

Ply was purchased and then baseboards were built and leaned on/used for storing magazines etc but in the last year since moving into our latest clubrooms major progress has been made.

A bit of back ground first - our resident water diviner artist John has done a good overview of what it will look like..

http://leedsmrs.org/jpegs/Layouts/ChapelLeFirth/Chapel1.jpg

Note the date of the drawing Jan 2007 (we don't work too fast in Leeds MRS).

More to come

edited as I got the wrong alternative station(!)

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6

Barry this sounds good, make the ends open and it can join onto Al's Bakewell and I might be able to squeeze Wye Dale in the middle hahaha, How long will it be, and which era are you thinking of.

All the nest with this project.

Andy :sungum:

Chapel-of-the-Filth eh? Good choice. Head west a little and you can join up with Gowhole too.

My money's on it being 1950's/60's (someone in the club will have a Blue Pullman by now for sure). Pity, as pre-war would allow for lots of red wonders. Or 1948 for the 'funny' exchange trials locos that went that way?

I'll be sure to stay tuned...

• RMweb Premium

Chapel-of-the-Filth eh? Good choice. Head west a little and you can join up with Gowhole too.

My money's on it being 1950's/60's (someone in the club will have a Blue Pullman by now for sure). Pity, as pre-war would allow for lots of red wonders. Or 1948 for the 'funny' exchange trials locos that went that way?

Not one but three - two Kitmaster one Bachmann..

and there are lots of LM coaches and stock ready - just need to convince Mike Edge to do an ICI hopper kit....(HINT!!)

• RMweb Premium

As this is a Club layout work has been undertaken by a variety of members.

Most of the baseboards have been build by Ian (builder and owner of Headingley in N ), Pointwork by Alan Smith (a 3mm modeller of note), Dr John and Nicktoix of this parish.

More photos later

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Promised some pictures so..

The trackwork was plotted by Fred allowing us to make a start on

a) pointwork

b baseboards

This shot shows where we were after 6 years of stop and go..

post-7650-0-08180400-1391017956_thumb.jpg

The track is C&L, while the pointwork on the visible scene is made from C&L components with some additional etches from Dr John and Nicktoix. a problem has been that the pointwork has been around for a while and the template (from Templot) beneath it has become fairly solidly stuck to the sleepers. WHen you remove the paper - the sleepers do come loose so an important lesson has been learned.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Arthur

as its a Club layout no doubt some of these will appear. We have just about everything else  but keep watching as research like you have done for us keeps adding interest to the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having discussed this at the Club last night a bit more background is required.

A lot of research has gone into the project so far. This includes:

Site visits and photographs

Signal diagrams (courtesy of Beast and the Signalling Records Society)

Track plans and other info

An email discussion with a retired signal man from Chapel - which was very good at highlighting some operating practices not knwon about before

Photographs from books - Billl Hudson helped a little with that

Obtaining the ICI Hopper book

THEN  a nice new book appeared with a number of shots of Chapel en le Frith

As between us in the club we have a lot of London Midland stock (more than enough for Chapel including 3 Blue Pullmans when we only need one(!) apart from the aforementioned ICI hoppers we decided to have a go.

A plan was plotted out, sheets of plywood obtained and a very slow start was made on the layout.

Work has been divvied up for volunteers to make best use of their skills

Hence

Baseboards - Ian (and a helper Ken)

Pointwork - C&L kits for the scenic side of the layout - Nicktoix, Alan, Dr John

Track laying - Mike Edge

Signals - me

Points for the fiddle yard - Nicktoix

To follow -

Buildings Andy, Nicktoix et all

Wiring - Steve

Control Panels - Andy

Ballasting - Rossi and Jake

Scenery - ian and others

We will not ballast the track until we have thoroughly tested it and intend to take ita s a "in progress" to Leeds Show this October (more details later).

• RMweb Premium

Ah but we can run the Fell, various other diesel prototypes and production locos travelling from Up North to the south and vice versa and still have lots of nice red coaches....

• RMweb Premium

So some choices had been made - the where and when - oh yes late 50s early 60s..

Ply basedboards - more on that later.

C & L plain track and points on the visible sections using Tortoise point motors

PCB/Soldered pointwork in the fiddleyard with surface mounted H&M (or maybe Tortoise) point motors

All track to be laid on cork.

and off we went..

a ground eye view of track on cork on board!

post-7650-0-43934500-1391114251_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good Barry O. ICI Hoppers hmmm they sound familiar lol! Well apart from the kits that have been done in the past in resin at present there isn't anything else. There is a proposed RTR version on the cards that I have helped with but as yet this has not got very far for reasons I am unable to comment on. I have some of the High Peak and Appleby Model Engineering resin wagons that with some fettling and mods give a good representation of the hoppers and they are usually seen on Hazel Valley owned and operated by Hazel Grove & District MRS and this has been on the circuit a good few years now and been all over to shows mainly in the North-West.

Cheers Paul Harrison

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Barry O. ICI Hoppers hmmm they sound familiar lol! Well apart from the kits that have been done in the past in resin at present there isn't anything else. There is a proposed RTR version on the cards that I have helped with but as yet this has not got very far for reasons I am unable to comment on. I have some of the High Peak and Appleby Model Engineering resin wagons that with some fettling and mods give a good representation of the hoppers and they are usually seen on Hazel Valley owned and operated by Hazel Grove & District MRS and this has been on the circuit a good few years now and been all over to shows mainly in the North-West.

Cheers Paul Harrison

Paul

we are promised some Judith Edge kits when Mike can get around to producing the etches. he has all the details and photos its just time ... and we have been offered some of the resin bodied ones protem - mind you we can always just run the last fulls which were not the usual hoppers but presflos...

Thanks for the info

barry o

Were I involved in this project, I think I'd lobby for a bit of JMW Turner's artists' licence with the Peak landscape.

Why not feature Chapel Milton's specacular viaducts and Chinley South junction just past the down starter signal?  And just across the line from the station a corner of Ferodo's asbestos works. The Le Mans winning Jaguars were often being tested there in the early 1950s.

daveh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Were I involved in this project, I think I'd lobby for a bit of JMW Turner's artists' licence with the Peak landscape.

Why not feature Chapel Milton's specacular viaducts and Chinley South junction just past the down starter signal?  And just across the line from the station a corner of Ferodo's asbestos works. The Le Mans winning Jaguars were often being tested there in the early 1950s.

daveh

Even in a club room we have some space considerations (as in we have another six or seven layouts to fit into the space we are in) so the layout is space constrained... otherwise we may have gone for a bigger location for the layout. Yes the viaducts etc in the area would look good as would Dove Holes tunnel...

• RMweb Premium

The C & L points were built to match the overall trackplan - as shown

post-7650-0-48559900-1391205565.jpg

whereas in the Fiddle yard the points etc were plotted using Templot and built up using PCB and rail by Nicktoix

post-7650-0-55379900-1391205671_thumb.jpg

some shots of baseboard building and finishing will be added shortly..

• Like 3

Paul

we are promised some Judith Edge kits when Mike can get around to producing the etches. he has all the details and photos its just time ... and we have been offered some of the resin bodied ones protem - mind you we can always just run the last fulls which were not the usual hoppers but presflos...

Thanks for the info

barry o

Hi Barry, hmmm first I have heard about Mike Edge doing the hoppers........ not sure where he has got his info from so will watch with interest on this one!

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

Paul

he has measured and photographed one as well as having access to the book which includes them..Its on his list but may be a way off. I took some shots at Locomotion but the one there is parked in a bad place to get decent photos of..

Paul

he has measured and photographed one as well as having access to the book which includes them..Its on his list but may be a way off. I took some shots at Locomotion but the one there is parked in a bad place to get decent photos of..

Ah that would be my book then hehe. Just beware that the Locomotion one is not an original ICI wagon, it was built for John Summers to a very similar design in that the hopper body was a few inches lower thus changing the angles of the end stanchions but the chassis is the same spec. 13 ex Summers/British Steel wagons were purchased by ICI in 1982 to replace wagons lost in accidents so it is important not to use these for scaling as you will end up with a slightly smaller wagon not much I know. The Roxey Mouldlings brass kit is also based on the Summers hoppers.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

While we have no photos of baseboard build a few photos taken recently will give an idea of the quality of the work being done by Ian (and more recently Ken)

As this photo shows

post-7650-0-69893200-1391462800_thumb.jpg

the boards are a mix of open and fully enclosed boards making use of ply as the base material. The baseboards are on removeable legs and are linked togther with dowels and bolts.

Over Christmas Ken built the first three fiddle yard boards

post-7650-0-96429200-1391462967_thumb.jpg

and then ian spent some time two weeks ago and th first of the awkward corner boards appeared!

post-7650-0-87596000-1391463071_thumb.jpg

so after a long gestation period things have speeded up dramatically

• Like 7

Hi Barry,

Been lurking in the background for a while, I do like your subject matter and the fact that its taking shape pretty well and fairly quickly, this is a bonus IF you can get a good collection of club members willing to do their bit. Will keep dropping in to see further progress, keep up the good work.

• Like 1