Class 33 Photos

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, slilley said:

Nick

The Western Region shunting staff at Bristol TM didnt like coupling the Class 33s when they were plough fitted, and so as a safety measure the centre plough was removed very often in the spring, summer period, and refitted in the late autumn. This comes up several times in Southern Region Traction Conference meetings. The attached page is from 15th October 1981. Its something I mention several times in my forthcoming Class 33 book Class 33 A Sixty Year History due out in July from Crecy Publishing.

Best wishes

Simon

P1070215.JPG

Interesting. I thought one of the reasons was so they could work over London Underground lines where there was a central 4th rail. Many years ago there was a railtour onto the SR worked by a pair of Class 25s and part of the tour was East Putney to Wimbledon and there was an instruction that the allocated 25s couldn’t have a centre plough fitted. And Class 33s used that line regularly.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The more telling point in those minutes is the bottom paragraph on the page you show.

You mean the failure rate of the Class 50s on the Waterloo - Exeter services? perhaps left to another discussion on another thread!!

Best wishes

Simon

1 hour ago, Grampus said:

Simon, thank you for the gen.  I have often wondered about this myself.  Looking forward to your book. 

Very best wishes, 

Paul 

Paul

My pleasure. There is no point me having such material if it doesnt get shared. Also good to hear you are looking forwards to the book. I am awaiting the proofs which should arrive in about a week to 10 days time. Fingers crossed  the right things are in the right place and it can go to print.

Best wishes

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, slilley said:

Nick

The Western Region shunting staff at Bristol TM didnt like coupling the Class 33s when they were plough fitted, and so as a safety measure the centre plough was removed very often in the spring, summer period, and refitted in the late autumn. This comes up several times in Southern Region Traction Conference meetings. The attached page is from 15th October 1981. Its something I mention several times in my forthcoming Class 33 book Class 33 A Sixty Year History due out in July from Crecy Publishing.

Best wishes

Simon

P1070215.JPG

Thank you very much for that Simon. That’s exactly what I was hoping to find out.

I’ll be ordering your book when it comes out for sure.

One more question if you’d know the answer would be about the slightly smaller than standard ploughs fitted to the 33s.
I’m pretty sure that they were of a reduced size due to the standard ones being too close to the third rail, but then plenty of other classes with ploughs must have crept into third rail territory, so did any of them have problems do you know?

Nick

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Interesting. I thought one of the reasons was so they could work over London Underground lines where there was a central 4th rail. Many years ago there was a railtour onto the SR worked by a pair of Class 25s and part of the tour was East Putney to Wimbledon and there was an instruction that the allocated 25s couldn’t have a centre plough fitted. And Class 33s used that line regularly.

I posted my reply but missed reading your earlier post Brushman. That’s something I hadn’t heard of before and I’d love to know the answer.

A propos of 33s with snowploughs, I think that they and a small selection of other equipment are banned from the section of the Sheffield tram-train extension to Rotherham that shares Network Rail track, due the the raised check* rails on the pointwork. 
*might not be the correct term. Discussion in the tram-train thread but I can’t seem to link to it on this tablet. 
Towards the bottom of p5 of  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/page/5/

Edited by eastwestdivide
Link added

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

A propos of 33s with snowploughs, I think that they and a small selection of other equipment are banned from the section of the Sheffield tram-train extension to Rotherham that shares Network Rail track, due the the raised check* rails on the pointwork. 
*might not be the correct term. Discussion in the tram-train thread but I can’t seem to link to it on this tablet. 
Towards the bottom of p5 of  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/page/5/

Interesting stuff Eastwest (and hello again by the way). I was thinking that a 33 with original SR ploughs would be less of a problem than a WCRC MSP fitted 47 say, because of the extra clearance?

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Also I was wondering if apart from railtours did any of the Construction liveried locos venture down to Devon? 
Any help much appreciated!

Nick

hi Nick

I took a pic of 33042 at Exeter stabling point I’ll look it out later.

• RMweb Premium

I can't actually remember where I took this ( I'm sure someone can identify where it is, & it would be much appreciated !)

I'm guessing somewhere between London & Exeter, so maybe on its way to/from Deven ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Scan_20150208 (8).jpg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I can't actually remember where I took this ( I'm sure someone can identify where it is, & it would be much appreciated !)

I'm guessing somewhere between London & Exeter, so maybe on its way to/from Deven ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Scan_20150208 (8).jpg

Thanks for that Phil. Great photo.

I think that’s the north end of Andover station?

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Thanks for that Phil. Great photo.

I think that’s the north end of Andover station?

Nick

The train is heading West that’s the flour mill on the top.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Thank you very much for that Simon. That’s exactly what I was hoping to find out.

One more question if you’d know the answer would be about the slightly smaller than standard ploughs fitted to the 33s.
I’m pretty sure that they were of a reduced size due to the standard ones being too close to the third rail, but then plenty of other classes with ploughs must have crept into third rail territory, so did any of them have problems do you know?

Nick

Nick

The development of the ploughs for the Class 33s back in 1960 is also covered in some detail in the book. I wont spoil the outcome for you!!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Oops!

Oh well at least I got the station right. :derisive:

Did you have any joy with that photo Temeraire?

was just doing it!

801E12B7-3F08-4A3E-9EE1-5244819719BF.jpeg.54ead193ea874c8983d0699e0647ad33.jpeg

33042 on Exeter stabling point 1st April 1993. Either got there filling in for failed loco or on a Meldon ballast working most likely.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

was just doing it!

801E12B7-3F08-4A3E-9EE1-5244819719BF.jpeg.54ead193ea874c8983d0699e0647ad33.jpeg

33042 on Exeter stabling point 1st April 1993. Either got there filling in for failed loco or on a Meldon ballast working most likely.

I’m pretty blown away by that, thank you very much.

22 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Nick

I seem to remember the valances on the class 60s when new were a problem with the third rail and so changes were made.  When the locomotives were new the valances didn't have the chunks missing from the two bottom corners however I don't know if new ones were manufactured or the originals had the chunks cut out.

Evening all, 

trawling through some of my pictures this evening, I found this shot of preserved 'Slim', D6586. taken at the Midland Railway Centre at  Butterley in August 2012.

BTW, I think that's a building behind it  rather than a somewhat rusty, extended exhaust, but it's a railway building, so I left well alone! :D

20140727-1_102.jpg.ca07798bfe050b34bbe75ae60fd8cf17.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, griffgriff said:

That’s a long way out for a Hither Green diagram.

Griff

I think all the passenger turns into South Wales and North Wales/NW England were SWD (ie EH) diagrams although HG locomotives turned up on them fairly regularly. 

• Informative/Useful 1