Class 33 Photos

37 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Not sure if we've had this one before but I've just found it lurking in my hard drive : D6500 at Clapham Junction in 1966 / 67, photographer unknown.... note the rail blue Hawksworth BG in the consist....

293271481_D6500CLAPHAMJCN1966.jpg.4a373aec299111d013488ed1ba457eb5.jpg

Nice image. In case this little factoid is in danger of being swallowed up by the mists of time, first-built D6500 differed from the rest in not having the pair of separate cantrail grilles nearest No 1 end on the other side - as seen above in @08221 's shot of 33002, as D6501 the next one constructed. Modellers beware!😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2014 at 13:23, jonny777 said:

If anyone could give me info on this photo, I would be delighted.

Such as - where is it? And the working?

The slide mount gives the loco as 33201 and the date 21st Aug 1985. Did the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains last that long?

post-4474-0-80482600-1391260818_thumb.jpg

I do not know the answer,  but the train is running under what appears to be ECML 25kV OH in advanced state of erection , does the presence of the OHL help with the dating?

Didn’t the Bed-Pan electrification also use head-span equipment?

The date is stated, so it’s the location and working that is under discussion.

Just a wild guess, but could it be anything to do with construction of the M25? I dimly recollect that there were rail-served concrete batching plants in various places along the route of that road during the late-70s and early-80s.

I think that Cliffe cement works may have closed by 1985, replaced by Northfleet, but there were other cement works sending trains out too.

Edited by Nearholmer

24 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I do not know the answer,  but the train is running under what appears to be ECML 25kV OH in advanced state of erection , does the presence of the OHL help with the dating?

See my post two beneath the original on page 1, re-quoted here!

On 01/02/2014 at 14:04, eastwestdivide said:

Not the Uddingston that late. Cliffe had closed as a cement works way before then. As there are bogie tanks in that photo, and 33201 was a Hither Green one, I'd hazard a guess that the train was a Northfleet working, possibly to Dunstable via the MML, which was electrified by then.

Can you read the headcode off the original?

Edited by eastwestdivide

On 01/02/2014 at 13:23, jonny777 said:

If anyone could give me info on this photo, I would be delighted.

Such as - where is it? And the working?

The slide mount gives the loco as 33201 and the date 21st Aug 1985. Did the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains last that long?

post-4474-0-80482600-1391260818_thumb.jpg

If on the MML then the sun position would make this 6O93 1845 Dunstable Cement Sdgs to Northfleet BCI.

• Like 1

Was cement carried to Dunstable then? It just seems odd given that the area had, at one time at least, cement works of its own.

PS: which, on checking, I discover closed as long ago as 1971, so I guess importation does make sense in 1985.

Edited by Nearholmer

Photo by Chris Weaver : D6538 at Eastleigh on 4th August 1967....

1716603102_D6538EH040867CHRISWEAVER.jpg.8d81b8ea114024ac26c4b1b5de460bae.jpg

Number one in the hit parade that week were The Beatles with 'All You Need Is Love' 😉

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Was cement carried to Dunstable then? It just seems odd given that the area had, at one time at least, cement works of its own.

PS: which, on checking, I discover closed as long ago as 1971, so I guess importation does make sense in 1985.

Dunstable Cement Works was one of several that ceased production after opening of the Northfleet New Works, the site remained in use as a distribution depot until 1990.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was late 1999, rumour to the effect of class 33's were operating passenger trains over either the North London, or, West London lines (memory fade).

Is the rumour true?

Any images to support the rumour?

Not sure if this has already been on here, and I know nothing about the photographer, the date or the location, but it was on my hard drive. But I am posting it because of the detail it shows so clearly.

Likewise, the second picture, which as well as a good 33 shot, also shows just what the SR had to use for dirty ballast trains until some of the newer (or converted) stock came along. It is pictured at Gravesend, and I would date this as around late 70's, which is when I think that multi-storey car park was built - it was definitely in use by 1983. (But I could well be wrong - any better suggestions?)

Class 33-1 good detail.jpg

Class 33 with old ballast spoil wagons 1980's.jpg

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Not sure if this has already been on here, and I know nothing about the photographer, the date or the location, but it was on my hard drive. But I am posting it because of the detail it shows so clearly.

Class 33-1 good detail.jpg

It's Bournemouth.  The up side siding at the Branksome end.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

…also shows just what the SR had to use for dirty ballast trains until some of the newer (or converted) stock came along. It is pictured at Gravesend, and I would date this as around late 70's, which is when I think that multi-storey car park was built - it was definitely in use by 1983. (But I could well be wrong - any better suggestions?)

I’m not 100% sure, but I’d have guessed mid-late 70s for the photo. I started spotting locally (Medway) late 70s, and taking an interest in wagons from about 1980 and only remember trains of mostly Grampus (and the odd ?Lamprey) for dirty ballast. Not ex-traffic wooden opens. 
edit: the car park is part of the Anglesea centre (now called the Thamesgate centre) which was opened in 1974 according to

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2015/08/riverside-south-bank-east-of-tower_30.html

- presumably both built together. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
More info
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...