Campbell Road - Eastleigh

pitbull1845

Hi, me again with yet another idea!

I decided to take a different approach with this one and buy a ready made layout. It started off as Lawley Street  and has exchanged hands a few times since then.

It's now my turn to see what I can do with it and here's my plan.

I wanted a quick fix mojo returning option, some may say its cheating but hey, it suits my needs at the moment.

The idea is that it represents a small part of a works, (think Eastleigh)  I visit Eastleigh as often as I can and it seemed like the obvious choice. Now it looks nothing like Eastleigh works so you have to use your imagination a bit and call it a "what if"..

What If, they had some new buildings built to cope with the increasing workload for the various businesses on the site. In particular Arlington Fleet Services

post-6849-0-31301100-1391556205.jpg

The buildings are low relief, I did consider having one of the doors open for extra play value but at the moment have kept it simple as I'd have to build a fiddle yard and I don't have the time for that just yet.  

The layout will be used for shuffling locos and rolling stock around the sidings, nothing too exciting but should be enough to keep me interested. The beauty of such a location is that just about anything can make an appearance. As can be seen on the Arlington website. I should add here that I have been in contact with the MD of Arlington Fleet Services and is happy for me to use the logos and concept on this layout. So I'm very grateful to Barry Stephens for that.

Here's a few more pictures to give you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. It's early days yet and the buildings and signage are all temporary at the moment.(and still not finished) The other side of the layout has a re-fuelling point and a siding or two for stabling.

post-6849-0-93469400-1391556682_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-65187300-1391556693_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-72843000-1391556706.jpg

post-6849-0-57679300-1391556720.jpg

It has had the desired effect and I am back into this modelling lark. Oh and why Campbell Road, well its the name of the road that leads to Eastleigh works and the road bridge I often stand on taking pictures..

Thanks for looking

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 19

Hi Scott,

Looks like a good purchase mate! Looking forward to watching it come together. I was actually thinking of turning one of my sheds into a repair facilifty but calling it Arnington Fleet Services instead :)

Cheers

Arnie

Afternoon, thanks for support so far, as I said it's early days but should be a bit of fun.

The other side is still a bit of a blank canvas, I'll take a picture when I can. 

No work on it tonight as I'm off to Leaford for a session with a few of the other usual suspects..

• Like 1

Evening,

Thanks again for the comments, I've got 3 FGW coaches at Campbell Road at the moment, no rush to get rid of them as they add a bit of colour to the area.  Grimley, Think I might have to sell my current 3 60's and get an EWS one as that seems to be the order of the day at Eastleigh with their super shunter.

66, the ladders/silos came with the layout so don't know the origin of the ladders but I guess they are walthers or similar. 

Nothing major to show since the last post but I  have been doing bits to the layout

Tonight I have been airbrushing some buildings for the "other side" of the layout, hopefully I can make a reasonable job of them.  I've also been onto Bachmann to try and get a certain piece of rolling stock which usually comes as a set. I have to say the customer service dept have been excellent and were able to find me the item I required in a day, just waiting for it to arrive now. Didn't think I'd be successful with it so I'm well pleased.

The transport office have also been busy, there should be a few new locos arriving next week and also 57312 has been despatched to Burton on Trent with 2 Mk1's for refurbishment. 

Other than the above, I haven't had time to do much else, I will of course keep you posted with developments.

• Like 2

Hi Scott, I remember Campbell Road as being the lead into the Depot over the 90 degree bridge, I saw a lorry stuck up there one day, I used to go there and Maritime about once a week with George T of this parish when I lived at Waterlooville and he lived in Gosport.

Anyway back to the layout, its looking good and the backdrop is spot on. George T and I would spend hours standing on Platform 2 hoping for something different to come along and here you have the perfect scenario. The Tiphook looks really good and I think the FGW coach could be there for a referb or something.

I remember seeing Lawley Street somewhere possibly on here, but how long is it and what sort of fiddle yard will you have? 

More pics please and if you want any pics from Eastleigh you are more than welcome, I have put some some on Arnies site and also Rammy's First Ave.

I see layouts like this and although we have some good freight through Burton on Trent its nowhere near as good as it was when I moved here in 2005 with a constant flow of Steels, Oils, Coals by the tone and much more in and out of the yard. Eastleigh has good viewing and some good shunting with the engineers sidings, which is what I based my Kingsmill layout on.

All the best and enjoy.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Evening...

Another small update-  There have been a few arrivals at Campbell Road, which is good for me, but the parcel receiving team (aka Mrs P) is starting to get a bit suspicious of the mystery parcels. Must try and arrange delivery when I'm on a day off!

Today I've been attempting to apply a backscene, using "view Glue". Not sure how its going to work, I've never had any luck with the photo style backscenes so we'll have to see how it goes.  

I've also had the air brush out tonight spraying some more buildings, next stage will be to paint the drain pipes etc... Not looking forward to that one.

Andy and George, thanks for passing on your memories of Eastleigh, I've got quite a few pictures from the sub sector are and current scene. I wish the locos were still stabled in rows behind the station like the old days.. 

The layout is about 8' long and about 1 1/2  wide  (haven't actually measured it.)   The fiddle yard will probably be about 3 ' long. I don't think I'll be running anything longer than 3 loco lengths.. 

66, I've only got 3 60's. one of which has already been placed onto the exchange list with another RMwebber. The other 2 are Mainline blue and Transrail.. 

I'm off for a few days now so I hope to get a bit more done on the layout and hopefully the next update will have pictures.. 

• Like 3

Good evening,

Had a fantastic day today celebrating my middle son's 4th birthday. Went to see the Lions at Longleat with most of the family. Therefore no major modelling today..

I have however managed to pop out there whilst the family sleep off their busy day. I've painted the window ledges on the brick  buildings tonight and managed a few pictures of the other side and the new stock.

The Colas twins arrive, 47749 receiving a top up of diesel before stabling up for the night.

post-6849-0-64556500-1392593096.jpg

Fuelling complete - Now stabled and engines off.

post-6849-0-45508800-1392593107.jpg

73138 now getting a suck of gas before heading out on a night time survey.

post-6849-0-97336000-1392593117.jpg

Finally one from the day trip. A fine specimen.

post-6849-0-92955900-1392593144.jpg

That's all for now..... 

• Like 15

Nice pussy cat!

Looking good on the layout front, the building on the backscene creates a dominance, a feeling of the railway being squeezed into the available land.

Keep the updates coming.

Andy.

Edited by Merc435

Evening,

As usual, life seems to be getting in the way of modelling. Where I can I've managed to grab some time here and there to finish painting the buildings. All was going to plan and I thought I knew where I was going to put them but then I tried this:

post-6849-0-87412200-1393194609.jpg

post-6849-0-38325600-1393194625.jpg

Now I think I prefer this option, the problem I have now is finding something to go on the other part of the backscene to replace the warehouse buildings.  

Things are never simple are they!

• Like 12