Washout at Dawlish

I may, or may not, have been given to believe that someone might, or might not, 'be about' today and might, or might not, be updating us later today on the state of progress, or not, but apart from that I don't know.

Classic management obfuscation Mike...love it! :biggrin_mini2:

Absolutely. Did you ever at any point consider a career in politics? Sir Humphrey Appleby would no doubt have approved...

Edit: Actually, scrub that. I don't think I've ever heard a politician admit "I don't know"...

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 2

On the BBC News channel last evening there was some woman complaining that there were no trains, no buses and she didn't know what she was going to to. The implication was that it was the TOCs (or someone's) fault.

The obvious question "Haven't you heard the news this week, haven't you made your judgments about what could happen?" went unasked.

There are some folk that you'd love to put on a special train down to Dawlish, it'd make a great foundation...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely. Did you ever at any point consider a career in politics? Sir Humphrey Appleby would no doubt have approved...

Edit: Actually, scrub that. I don't think I've ever heard a politician admit "I don't know"...

Plus the fact that I never believe anything a politician says.

Jamie

There are some folk that you'd love to put on a special train down to Dawlish, it'd make a great foundation...

Too squishy!

Plus, you'd have the EA complaining about

polluting the water.

On the other hand, if they all had their own 

concrete overcoats...............................

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just posted on twitter by Network Rail.....

A short video showing construction of the breakwater at Dawlish

Mark

It appears to be some what calmer and drier today, long may it last. I hope that the poor blokes doing the work are having a better day of it.

Best of luck.

SS

Plus the fact that I never believe anything a politician says.

Jamie

To be a bit pedantic, Sir Humphrey wasn't a politician, but a very senior civil servant; it was the rather hapless Jim Hacker who was the Minister, then Prime Minister. Claud Cockburn made a series of cutting remarks about the integrity of politicians; I rather like this one:-

He [brendan Bracken] had been upset by my observation that a wartime Minister of Information was compelled, in the national interest, to such continuous acts of duplicity that even his natural hair must grow to resemble a wig."

• RMweb Premium

Just posted on twitter by Network Rail.....

http://youtu.be/JCQykSLMhKU

A short video showing construction of the breakwater at Dawlish

Mark

It may just be an illusion but it appears as if the bag of spoil is actually pulled into the container by some hidden hand.  I wouldn't fancy that job.

Jamie

It may just be an illusion but it appears as if the bag of spoil is actually pulled into the container by some hidden hand.  I wouldn't fancy that job.

Jamie

I've seen something similar done before and there's usually some kind of slip knot between the hook and the bulk bag straps. I very much doubt there's anyone in the container! If there is, I don't fancy that job either...

Just wondering if they will be stacking the containers 2 or 3 high as time and tide permit? The current one container high won't protect much once the wind picks up again, which it is due to do early next week. If so how will they secure the stack to prevent the higher containers being forced back over the top?

Hopefully the guys/gals will have a break in the weather until then so they can get set up and protected in safety. Best of luck to all involved, a mammoth project but one which is exciting in its challenges.

Mark

Just wondering if they will be stacking the containers 2 or 3 high as time and tide permit? 

One high is safe enough and should cope with normal tide levels. More then one high and you'd have to be careful that the top ones didn't topple if the sea state was higher. One high can't topple, only get moved about a bit. (a lot) If the sea's too rough they won't be working anyway.

Like it !  :sungum:. My only hope is that their replacement bus / bus service isn't  one of these.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/01/article-2302417-19080045000005DC-204_634x651.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've seen something similar done before and there's usually some kind of slip knot between the hook and the bulk bag straps. I very much doubt there's anyone in the container! If there is, I don't fancy that job either...

That woman who was moaning about being inconvenienced on BBC news last night is in there with a pen knife.

Incoming!!!!!!

On the BBC News channel last evening there was some woman complaining that there were no trains, no buses and she didn't know what she was going to to. The implication was that it was the TOCs (or someone's) fault.

The obvious question "Haven't you heard the news this week, haven't you made your judgments about what could happen?" went unasked.

Rant mode, on..... 

If it's not the GBP (GB£ / penny pinchers / bean counters), controlling the economy by dishing out peanuts, whilst lining their own nests.....il's

...The other GBP (the Great British Public)....continuing to fail to see the light.

Rant mode, off.

Viva Bob Crow.

Edited by Ceptic

One high is safe enough and should cope with normal tide levels. More then one high and you'd have to be careful that the top ones didn't topple if the sea state was higher. One high can't topple, only get moved about a bit. (a lot) If the sea's too rough they won't be working anyway.

Containers being 20', 30' and 40' long, the ones shown look like they are 20fters end to end. You could add another row if you used 30 or 40fters laid across and locked end-on. Ultimately, they would probably get in the way of the main repairs so not really a great lot of use. The basic box will however provide a good bit of protection for the time being.

Like it !  :sungum:. My only hope is that their replacement bus / bus service isn't  one of these.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/01/article-2302417-19080045000005DC-204_634x651.jpg

Stagecoach tried something called an "amfibus" from the Netherlands in Scotland a while back

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8498136.stm

Video

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8506154.stm

If I win the lottery I'll buy one for a Fairbourne to Barmouth service...

• RMweb Gold

Today's BBC "Spotlight" local news has some video of works at about 1 minute in - including spray concreting work & container filling, whilst being drenched by sea water! :O I did hear the workers are roped & wearing lifejackets, but still have great respect for the difficult working conditions they're under.... 

Containers being 20', 30' and 40' long, the ones shown look like they are 20fters end to end. You could add another row if you used 30 or 40fters laid across and locked end-on. Ultimately, they would probably get in the way of the main repairs so not really a great lot of use. The basic box will however provide a good bit of protection for the time being.

Don't think you'd get anything much bigger than 20ft down that end of Dawlish. Not and lift it into place anyway.

Edited by Coombe Barton