Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

The captain's posted two pix of 'behind the big L" bordering the road to the houses behind the washout

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=397271

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-57-0-15025100-1395258193.jpg

One appears to show rubble infill the other appears to show concrete. When's the infill there going to be?

Is the plan to repair the road as well?

• RMweb Premium

The road has to be replaced.  Quite where the demarcation of responsibility between NR and any other authority might lie is probably marked on a piece of paper somewhere.  But in this sort of situation all parties pull together to fix the problem and sort out their differences later.

There's a lot to be done after trains return.  The effort quite rightly appears to be mostly aimed at reopening the railway and then turning to the lesser jobs which can be done with the railway open.  

Just caught the end of the BBC Spotlight item on the lunchtime news. The BBC South West reporter ended by saying that one Dawlish resident "wanted to see something more concrete". Am not sure whether it was an intentional BBC pun.

• RMweb Gold

Looks very much as if the debris from the slip is being carried east by the longshore drift, judging by the red stain in the sea.

attachicon.gif201403201136.jpg

If you look at some of the various sites dealing with coastal erosion (I think you might have linked the Southampton Uni one in the past?) you will that this is exactly what does happen and Dawlish Warren gets bigger as the beaches etc further west shrink.

If you look at some of the various sites dealing with coastal erosion (I think you might have linked the Southampton Uni one in the past?) you will that this is exactly what does happen and Dawlish Warren gets bigger as the beaches etc further west shrink.

The red stain is floating mud and will flocculate in salt water (posh word for clump) and sink. The sand component will take longer to reach the Warren - to move it fast you need a storm - oh - wait ...

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

A "Back to the Future" moment there - your post is timed 11.34 but the webcam shot is timed as 11:36:22.

Webcam time is more then five minutes ahead of real time

And now it looks as if concrete pumping has finished at least for the while. Big red spidery thing has moved.

post-5402-0-87402600-1395327422.jpg

• Like 3

I hope that the citizens of Dawlish throw a party for all the contractors and NR staff who are on the way to completing a fantastic project ,as they deserve it.

I think they are going to miss the "Orange" army when they finally go off site. :friends: 

• RMweb Premium

Webcam time is more then five minutes ahead of real time And now it looks as if concrete pumping has finished at least for the while. Big red spidery thing has moved. attachicon.gif201403201459.jpg

So that's why everyone thinks they're ahead of schedule.

They've been going by the webcam time not GMT!

• RMweb Premium
Judge Dread, on 20 Mar 2014 - 15:42, said:

I think they are going to miss the "Orange" army when they finally go off site. :friends: 

Some how I doubt that! :D  :biggrin_mini2:

More than likely there'll throw a party when we've gone and piece returns to their town.

At the moment you cant move in there for NR vans, contractors vans, contractors cars, welfare cabins, etc. Its a bloody nitemare. So much going on but so little room!

• RMweb Gold

I vote that at the completion of all this work that the Captain be promoted to  Admiral. :declare: :yes:

Keith.

On second thoughts Admiral would be way too much........maybe next rank up.......Commodore......he'd still be CK......or commode for short...! :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

On second thoughts Admiral would be way too much........maybe next rank up.......Commodore......he'd still be CK......or commode for short...! :stinker:

Thank you, but I am going to officially decline any promotion for now...! :P

Not sure what the infill is behind the tall concrete 'L' sections, but it will be sufficient to support the road, which is being reinstated. We are in regular dialogue with the local residents there, so I'm not really able to elaborate on that.

Glad to see the ballast going in; can't be there every day, got other stuff to think about too (am being asked about contingency plans for the next Swindon to Kemble blockade, for example, which need dealing with...)

Tired now, had a great day out with Re6/6 today, train trip up to Salisbury to meet a mutual friend, need to recharge batteries, having just sadly dealt with a days worth of work e-mails... :O , so nite nite!

Time to get the tshirts printed "We Love The Big Red Spidery Thing"

As well as t shirts I think we need a web page devoted to the Big Red Spidery Thing and other Dawlish washout gods. Perhaps Bachmann will start modelling one.

• RMweb Premium

Well all i can say is well done to everyone concered with this rebuild and recomission of the line. I hope that there would be a comemortive plague put some where to recognize all the hard working orange clad people.

Terry

Commemorative plague :O ?  Surely they've suffered enough! ;)

I suggested something similar many pages back.  Though mine was to be a small pasty-shaped plaque with RMweb and SWAG logos and unveiled by the Captain himself to the accompaniment of the Band of the Royal Padstow Lancers.

In regards the Orange Army they themselves might have brought a little compensation to the coastal towns in terms of local spending which might have balanced anything lost by the absence of trains.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I suggested something similar many pages back.  Though mine was to be a small pasty-shaped plaque with RMweb and SWAG logos and unveiled by the Captain himself to the accompaniment of the Band of the Royal Padstow Lancers.

You did indeed, Rick, and I promised to do something about it...!

Accordingly I carefully packed the miniature flag of Swagonia in an envelope in my rucksack, but keep forgetting to take it with me each time I go out on the wall - perhaps next time?!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Accordingly I carefully packed the miniature flag of Swagonia in an envelope in my rucksack, but keep forgetting to take it with me each time I go out on the wall - perhaps next time?!

Hi CK

You have the time to go down on the beach at Dawlish and build a sand castle to stick the flag in. :no:

SS