RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

Derelict house, where concrete pipes were run through the garden to deliver to seawall seen in august

post-22449-0-20844700-1451079722_thumb.jpg

and seen in December

post-22449-0-75468200-1451079771_thumb.jpg

somebody got moving, notice red pantiles replaced with new slate roof, glazing fixed,

garage built just above railway & new paint job, garden tidied, 

wonder if it will soon be on the market?

down at Coryton Cove  Replacement beach huts being painted ready for  placement

over new pavement of 50 mm slabs damaged in fire.

post-22449-0-89733700-1451080123_thumb.jpg

BEWARE new steps by washout are heavily coated with seaweed /algae especially on the outside where

there are NO handrails

post-22449-0-33094500-1451080525_thumb.jpg

Wed 23rd Dec Groyne 1 leaning over due to under scouring

post-22449-0-88289800-1451080768_thumb.jpg

so much so that the top one of these 2 boards, is normally just at sand level,

the beach goer here has to just duck a bit to pass under

post-22449-0-81972000-1451080848.jpg

looks like pin failure in the support fitted in spring this year     EDIT, last year

photo March 2014

post-22449-0-70224000-1451083634_thumb.jpg

Photo Dec 2015

post-22449-0-02700100-1451081110_thumb.jpg

because the boards are now not stopping northward drift of sands,

the beach level has dropped so that there is a drop of 15 ins at the end of the slipway 

post-22449-0-10933000-1451081205_thumb.jpg

but now today Friday 25th Dec the groyne has collapsed further

post-22449-0-81936000-1451081399_thumb.jpg

EDIT;-

so as to make life more interesting to disabled in wheel chairs, mobility scooters, mothers with buggys

& TWIN buggys,  there has recently appeared four chicanes, to supposedly deter cyclists,

which it doesnt as I witnessed one cycle through without stopping, mind you he also had ridden

along the wall from the direction of the Warren through wave spray 20ft high,

so maybe if he ignored the waves,  maybe he did not even see the chicanes either 

post-22449-0-72906300-1451082620_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-24143100-1451082675_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-59212100-1451066099_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-04237300-1451077279_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-14727400-1451077558_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-35213400-1451077948_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-65649100-1451078265_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-72551300-1451078336.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 6

There's a couple of interesting videos on the Dawlish Museum fb page. :sungum:

https://www.facebook.com/Dawlish-Museum-365561793551129/?pnref=story

Interesting info on the museum website thanks for the link Paul.

On the museum website theres a link to a story in the Dawlish Gazette around December 15th concerning the end of the Western Staff Association Camping Coaches with the site reportedly closing at the end of the 2016 season.

Speaking personally, it'll be very sad to see the camping coaches at the Warren - Brunel Holiday Park - have had their chips at the end of the 2016 season. Photos and vids of steam specials, and Western Champion of course, just won't look the same without the camping coaches in the picture.

I remember the previous coaches - in various shades of yellow and sky blue in the early 70's. There was still a connection into the yard where they are situated from the up loop then - I've a dim memory of a picture of a 31 taking them away in one of the railway mags. I recall being really pleased when the current chocolate and cream coaches replaced them and thinking one must be an Inspection saloon.

Just more change at the Warren I suppose. Makes me feel old remembering the old footbridge, semaphores, signal box, the up side timber building with the model railway in it, which was a must visit with my family and what got me started on an interest in model railways.....not to mention the plate layers hut up by the Langstone Rock, or the ride on miniature railway at the Warren - with a faux Western diesel. Happy memories.

Regards

Matt Wood

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As an observation, have the authorities responsible for Dawlish ever given any thought to doing a decent 'upgrade' to the beach. I say this because in the early 1980s we regularly went to see my Grandparents who lived near Bournemouth - and for many years the levels of sand on the beach at Bournemouth were extremely low. One year however the council bit the bullet, installed new groynes and bought in vast quantities of sand via dredging to build up the beach again by a good 6ft and make the thing far better for tourists plus more storm resilient into the bargain.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

Interesting info on the museum website thanks for the link Paul.

On the museum website theres a link to a story in the Dawlish Gazette around December 15th concerning the end of the Western Staff Association Camping Coaches with the site reportedly closing at the end of the 2016 season.

Speaking personally, it'll be very sad to see the camping coaches at the Warren - Brunel Holiday Park - have had their chips at the end of the 2016 season. Photos and vids of steam specials, and Western Champion of course, just won't look the same without the camping coaches in the picture.

I remember the previous coaches - in various shades of yellow and sky blue in the early 70's. There was still a connection into the yard where they are situated from the up loop then - I've a dim memory of a picture of a 31 taking them away in one of the railway mags. I recall being really pleased when the current chocolate and cream coaches replaced them and thinking one must be an Inspection saloon.

Just more change at the Warren I suppose. Makes me feel old remembering the old footbridge, semaphores, signal box, the up side timber building with the model railway in it, which was a must visit with my family and what got me started on an interest in model railways.....not to mention the plate layers hut up by the Langstone Rock, or the ride on miniature railway at the Warren - with a faux Western diesel. Happy memories.

Regards

Matt Wood

It is a great pity that the camping coaches at Dawlish Warren are coming to a end.

I first stayed in them 25+ years ago , we used to take our children there.

The last time was just a few days after the line was re-opened in 2014, we then took the Grandchildren.

But at that time it was obvious the end had to be coming as they were in a very neglected state.

It appeared that they had very little attention for a long time.

Keith.

As an observation, have the authorities responsible for Dawlish ever given any thought to doing a decent 'upgrade' to the beach. I say this because in the early 1980s we regularly went to see my Grandparents who lived near Bournemouth - and for many years the levels of sand on the beach at Bournemouth were extremely low. One year however the council bit the bullet, installed new groynes and bought in vast quantities of sand via dredging to build up the beach again by a good 6ft and make the thing far better for tourists plus more storm resilient into the bargain.

The difference between Bournemouth, and Dawlish is the strength of 'longshore drift', combined with angle of beach, Dawlish is far greater in both than Bournemouth so making it a very expensive job. Bournemouth, have done the job a few times, but their tourism numbers are far greater. Dawlish would probably be better served by large rocks/boulders than sand.

edit Add http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hpd10&p=longshore%20drift%20at%20dawlish&type=

Edited by bike2steam

It is a great pity that the camping coaches at Dawlish Warren are coming to a end.

I first stayed in them 25+ years ago , we used to take our children there.

The last time was just a few days after the line was re-opened in 2014, we then took the Grandchildren.

But at that time it was obvious the end had to be coming as they were in a very neglected state.

It appeared that they had very little attention for a long time.

Keith.

We have taken our children to them regularly over the years, the last time being in October 2014. They offer very basic accomodation but the insides were always clean which is vital. The exteriors are deteriorating rapidly, especially Plymouth, the ex LMS observation car that we always stayed in, I guess because it is older than the rest.

I have seen photos that show when the current batch of coaches were delivered there were two observation coaches at the Warren end but in my experience there has only been one. Does anyone know when and why the second one was removed?

Rob

It seems that the second observation saloon was moved to Fencote, see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/culture/2003/05/lost_railway_03.shtml

It was named Cardiff and there is a picture of both it and Plymouth immediately after outshopping from Swindon in 1981 here:

http://www.philt.org.uk/Misc/Rolling-Stock/i-McMRCQf

I still don't know when, why and how it was moved.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

That is more dangerous than not having the chicane. It forces you near the edge without protecting you. It needs fixing soon before someone goes over. But is that storm damage? I rather doubt it as the supports for the rail are still there.

Jonathhan

PS Take care there please.

That is more dangerous than not having the chicane. It forces you near the edge without protecting you. It needs fixing soon before someone goes over. But is that storm damage? I rather doubt it as the supports for the rail are still there.

Jonathhan

PS Take care there please.

Very true Jonathan,  great care was exercised, extreme crawl, was the speed used.

definately storm damage

the base supports are rock anchored into the wall,

but the construction of the joints is hex, allen key grubs, which are prone to loosening with vibration 

Oh yes life is precious, no unneccessary risks are knowingly taken

new video on my youtube channel

Be aware that perspective can make thinks look dangerous,

the young lady standing on the break water photographing

is actually in  a safe place in the circumstances on that day,

tide, wind direction, shelter afforded by the old cafe block. etc.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Makes you wonder why this wasn't expected really. They need to weld the tubes into the sockets.... I wonder to whom you should report them being missing?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Makes you wonder why this wasn't expected really. They need to weld the tubes into the sockets.... I wonder to whom you should report them being missing?

Andy G

The problem with welding galvanised steel is that the zinc coating apparently burns off so you then get rust around the welds which will spread underneath the galvanising and the things collapse.  Through bolting would be better provided the bolt holes are also galvanised.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with welding galvanised steel is that the zinc coating apparently burns off so you then get rust around the welds which will spread underneath the galvanising and the things collapse.  Through bolting would be better provided the bolt holes are also galvanised.

Not only that, but the welding process gives off cyanide gas, I know this first hand as I was working in a compartment where galvanised steel was being welded and the fumes made me nauseous, I was given a pint of milk and told to stay out in the fresh air. The welding was stopped until a proper extraction system was put in. This was pre elf n safety.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago the broken railings were REMOVED,

then a wave surge damaged the station roof ripping some of the new guttering put up last year

in the last few days the corner of the  small stone enclosure around the outfall of Dawlish Brook has been undermined

affecting about 20 ft of stonework, as its highish tide cant see how far its undermined

will put up photos later