Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

Oh sorry Chops. Hope you didn't mind the heads up. The Vulcan lives just up the road from me and I was lucky enough to see it come home last weekend. Lovely.

P

No probs ducky,   when the vulcan came over, same with the Tornado, traffic virtually came to a standstill, as people rubber necked

piccys to follow

• Like 2

Sadly, of course, the afternoon was clouded by the event at Shoreham. Apparantley, the Vulcan did a slow tribute flypast only and then left quietly. Very sad for the folk involved in the Shoreham tragedy.

Phil

Taking the train down to Torbay yesterday there were three "academics" sat behind me who were quite vocal throughout the journey.

Now, whilst I don't have anything against well read individuals I was amused as we pulled into Dawlish when one of the gentlemen remarked that the sea was on fire !

One of his party advised him that it was most likely something to do with the air show to which he remarked that it couldn't be as the smoke was far too dense !!!!!

I sometimes wonder which world I live in ?

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking the train down to Torbay yesterday there were three "academics" sat behind me who were quite vocal throughout the journey.

Now, whilst I don't have anything against well read individuals I was amused as we pulled into Dawlish when one of the gentlemen remarked that the sea was on fire !

One of his party advised him that it was most likely something to do with the air show to which he remarked that it couldn't be as the smoke was far too dense !!!!!

I sometimes wonder which world I live in ?

Oh how erudite they must have been. Perhaps they also do phone conferencing?

• Like 3

Not sure if its been explained before, but does anyone know why the section of new wall opposite Sea LawnTerrace  has the "Toblerone" pointy bits on  it ? Is it, as someone suggested on another rail forum,so that the public cannot sit on top of the wall opposite to the residents ?

Edited by simdmuk

Up Torbay Express with 70000 Britannia at Dawlish this evening:

Looks odd to me down there. I used to see Britt nearly every day passing my house in Shenfield on the old GEML when I was a kid. My cousin Mike drew a crayon picture of it on the embankment approaching Alexander Lane  in the frontispiece of my elder brother’s Eagle Annual.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks odd to me down there. I used to see Britt nearly every day passing my house in Shenfield on the old GEML when I was a kid. My cousin Mike drew a crayon picture of it on the embankment approaching Alexander Lane  in the frontispiece of my elder brother’s Eagle Annual.

Best, Pete.

Bet it didn't look like this:

post-6208-0-06300000-1440583973_thumb.jpg

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if its been explained before, but does anyone know why the section of new wall opposite Sea LawnTerrace  has the "Toblerone" pointy bits on  it ? Is it, as someone suggested on another rail forum,so that the public cannot sit on top of the wall opposite to the residents ?

I think that is actually the right explanation for it, to be honest, also a deterrant to trespassing on the railway.

• RMweb Gold

I think that is actually the right explanation for it, to be honest, also a deterrant to trespassing on the railway.

I'm still grateful & slightly amazed that there's been no installation of lineside fencing along the seawall, unlike (say) Cockwood where there's actually far less likelihood of people being alongside the track!

• Like 1

unlike (say) Cockwood where there's actually far less likelihood of people being alongside the track!

possibly,   but it was not unknown, previously to the fence,  for people to take a short cut along the railway instead of walking around the harbour

• RMweb Gold

I'm still grateful & slightly amazed that there's been no installation of lineside fencing along the seawall, unlike (say) Cockwood where there's actually far less likelihood of people being alongside the track!

Rich, the real issue is how securely the fencing could be attached to the low wall that divides the railway and the walkway. Next big storm and much of it would likely be pushed over onto the track, so that's just more to clear up before we could start running trains again.

Rich, the real issue is how securely the fencing could be attached to the low wall that divides the railway and the walkway. Next big storm and much of it would likely be pushed over onto the track, so that's just more to clear up before we could start running trains again.

Thank goodness that NR have not put fencing up there as it would change the whole character & beauty of the seawall, unlike Sydney Gardens at Bath where NR seem determined fence of the gardens. Please Cap'n K no 'Borders Railway' style fencing in Bath!

• 2 weeks later...
Morning All,

A few more pictures from my holiday in the West Country are now on Flickr.  If anyone would like to have a look, this is the first one in the Photostream :

The sea wall at Dawlish was still under repair at the time so I was unable to walk along any further than the first footbridge.

Hope they're of interest.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that Voyagers are still prone to problems if caught by waves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34242892

I'm not sure if the photo in the local report is from the files, or from this latest event?

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Passengers-stranded-wave-struck-train-hours-near/story-27794848-detail/story.html