Washout at Dawlish

Noted today Sunday 18th May

main Dawlish breakwater undermined by movement of sand

post-22449-0-73208400-1400432378.jpg

Breakwater at Boat Cove by Kennaway tunnel

looks like a block of masonary has gone missing since I last looked

post-22449-0-90496800-1400432462.jpg

I expect these will be picked up by the regular seawall inspection crew?

weekly or fortnightly?

• Like 1

Interesting feature on the old wall under the station platform overhang

a walled in archway barely 4ft tall of the present walk way

post-22449-0-56847600-1400433720.jpg

any ideas anyone

to me it looks too  low to be an access tunnel as it is now

so

I wondered if the seawall walk just there was much lower originally,

and a tunnel was provided down to sea level for horses used for wagon shunting

to ease their feet each day after their shifts, tides permitting

Dont laugh.

There was a similar provision in Friary yard Plymouth for horses to go through a longer tunnel down to

sea level in nearby Sutton Harbour

this arch is in the wall where the platform overhang narrows down,

before you get to the old lifeboat house going north

it is right opposite the lookout platform above the Station carpark, just about where the original yard widened out to fit the turntable in

screen shot taken from Oldmaps website of Dawlish 1889

see

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

post-22449-0-33039200-1400435415.jpg

shows 4 lines through yard plus spur off to turntable (wagons?) to 2 short roads off

if you reposition the location pointer yopu can see the whole station layout

including goods shed

Just to the right of the arch, is  a much newer section of wall, built of a mellower stone, Granite?

I think the arch is built in limestone, so someone said

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 1

Infill rather than stress relief as the infill blocks are different. Is there any evidence of a previous corner under the end of the arch which would indicate a structure behind?

The other end of the arch, showing the later granite stone to the right, just out of shot, this is built out as if it clads the original wall?

which, I would think,  was built after the arch was infilled

post-22449-0-51839900-1400437713.jpg

Oh yeah! Musn't have the riff raff walk past our buffet! Don't mind taking money off the plebs though!

Is that for real?

I think it's just that the corridor past the buffet is quite narrow (particularly at intermediate stops where there may already be a queue of customers), so it makes sense to discourage SC passengers (especially those with luggage) from boarding the train through those doors.

It's just simpler to paint a yellow stripe than to add the words "Access to standard class via narrow corridor possibly full of buffet customers. Please use another door especially if carrying luggage." (Much in the same way as it's easier to display the Reading stoppers at Paddington as terminating at Twyford rather than having to explain that it stops at all stations so it's quicker to catch a different train.

• RMweb Gold

I expect these will be picked up by the regular seawall inspection crew?

weekly or fortnightly?

I believe that all these faults will already have been logged as storm damage by the current project team, who should have a remit to effect repairs in due course.

I'd have thought that this would be a suitable place for a general 'Dawlish Sea Wall' thread, perhaps covering the section of line between Exminster and Newton Abbot?

Great idea CK, but when suggested a few weeks ago, opinions were voiced to keep the 'washout' going. A more generalised localised thread would be better now. 'Devon Sea Wall' thread would be betterIMHO.

Shall we get going now?

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that the 'washout' element will soon become a matter of history, whereas nice photos of trains on the Sea Wall is a future we would all want to sign up to...

I would also suggest that if a new thread is started, it's correctly positioned in the 'Railways of Devon' sub-forum.

• RMweb Premium

I have taken the liberty of starting a fresh, Dawlish thread in Railways of Devon as CK suggested.

If nobody agrees then it can just die, but it's there if you wish.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

I was talking to one of the contractors working on the Station footbridge roof yesterday

he said that they were reopening & rebuilding the old stairway condemed & closed 15 years ago

which would involve reopening the blocked off doorway down on the seawall facing the viaduct

never expected that

closed off doorway is to left of the signs

post-22449-0-13417200-1400572386.jpg

Photo taken in April

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

They look like PCSOs or maybe the young one on the left is and the other is a Constable showing him the patch? Probably they are just have a mooch on a beautiful day which is probably a lot more enjoyable than being in town on a Sunday morning about 12.30 a.m. :hunter:

P

They look like PCSOs or maybe the young one on the left is and the other is a Constable showing him the patch? Probably they are just have a mooch on a beautiful day which is probably a lot more enjoyable than being in town on a Sunday morning about 12.30 a.m. :hunter:

P

Is the Lawn dangerous these days on a Sunday morning ? Must be the aggressive ducks.

• RMweb Gold

'ello, 'ello, 'ello ......

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Ha ha - CAPTAIN ALERT in that photo - in orange in the distance - excellent day yesterday visiting loads of Sea Wall sites, photos to follow (probably on the new thread in the Devon forum)...

The BTP were simply patrolling and checking all was in order, no particular reason for their visit - they were previously seen (by me) up in the Rockstone area after lunch...

• Like 2

I was watching (the Dawlish Warren Cam) at 2:00am UK time, today. There was a blaze of light in the middle distance and two gentlemen with flashlights were walking toward the Cam. One by the wall the other towards the houses. They were looking in to the middle of the tracks. To be honest I thought that a dog had been struck (or something). 15 minutes later it was “quiet" again.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Cheeky boy.......

Anyone know what the Orange Platoon are doing with the wall on the Dawlish web cam?

P

They have not finished the parapet there yet, looks like shuttering still in place

And I have a feeling they are also working below the parapet back

towards the old lifeboat house on the footpath & the sea wall below it

• RMweb Gold

CK, the lads working on the sea wall by the Dawlish web cam need life preservers (and I'm not being funny).

P

There is certainly that kind of kit close by at each worksite, even if they don't have them on in the photos.