RMweb

Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

There was a piece in the WRRC newsletter recently sorting out the batches of Cambrian 2-plankers after I queried the instructions in two of the kits.

If you want an article from an Archive issue which is out of print let me know. I may even have them already scanned as some issues went out of print very quickly in the early days.

And if you want any transfers from Chris Basten (Dragon Models Wales) get them quick as he is running out and not doing any more.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

There was a piece in the WRRC newsletter recently sorting out the batches of Cambrian 2-plankers after I queried the instructions in two of the kits.

If you want an article from an Archive issue which is out of print let me know. I may even have them already scanned as some issues went out of print very quickly in the early days.

And if you want any transfers from Chris Basten (Dragon Models Wales) get them quick as he is running out and not doing any more.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you again.  If you could let me know which issue it is I will contact the WRRC to obtain the article on the 2-The article that I would not be able to get is in No 1 Vol 1.  I can still at the moment get the second article, I just need to get on and do it. 

I vaguely knew about the transfers, but like everything with me, I read, note and then forget.  I will try and see what I can get as I will be building coaches at some stage as well, so the more the merrier.

Morning Chris,

All went well for me the other day thank you - I'm back on the chemo for another month!

Lovely to see all the constructive comment from RMwebbers, it truly is a tremendous source of help and inspiration. No complaints from me about the build rate - that really would be the 'pot calling the kettle black'! I hope you manage all you have to accomplish for the Christmas festivities and no doubt, like Joanna and I, you'll find the greatest joy in seeing the little ones faces!

Have a good one,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris,

All went well for me the other day thank you - I'm back on the chemo for another month!

Lovely to see all the constructive comment from RMwebbers, it truly is a tremendous source of help and inspiration. No complaints from me about the build rate - that really would be the 'pot calling the kettle black'! I hope you manage all you have to accomplish for the Christmas festivities and no doubt, like Joanna and I, you'll find the greatest joy in seeing the little ones faces!

Have a good one,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

Glad it went well.  We will not have everyone with us until the 28th but then, all three sons plus wifes, Well one each, and the two Grandchildren will be with us so that should be fun.

Yes, I find the support really amazing with people I hardly know and never met giving real help and advice.  I would be the same for them of course but I am not sure how much I can in this situation.

All the best.

Chris,

Believe me when I say, without fear of contradiction, that all your posts that I have read in various threads, demonstrate fair and well balanced comment! This in turn makes people feel like helping.

Hope it goes well for you on the 28th. We have a gathering of the whole immediate family, partners, children and pets on Boxing Day every year with our two daughters and us sharing the 'hosting' year on year (our Son rather cleverly(?) lives in a one bedroomed flat in London so can't accommodate everyone!). It is youngest daughter's turn this year and as she only lives a mile or so away, we can enjoy plenty of the Christmas spirit!

On the modelling front, I think your approach is excellent, doing a bit of varied work on baseboards, stock, and 'little people' whilst the research continues. This little hiatus will at least give you time to prepare for the next stage.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited due to interference of spell checker!!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

our Son rather cleverly(?) lives in a one bedroomed flat in London so can't accommodate everyone!

That is a cop-out. He could, of course, invite everyone to Boxing Day dinner, and take you all to his local posh restaurant.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The item on numbering of and orders for the Cambrian 2-plank wagons was in the Autumn 2014 Newsletter, issue 140.

I have PM'd you the Mike Lloyd articles on Cambrian carriages.  Hope they arrive safely.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you, I have received your PM. 

I am also glad you mentioned that article as I do have the journal and I have read it, and although I remembered the main article I had forgotten about the numbering.  The numbering discussion is about the later built wagons and my impression is that there were two plankers running in the 1890s and it is these numbers I was after.  I suppose I just need to work out what numbers are quoted and what were the later build numbers, simple really.  However this does not give me the numbers of wagons that were scrapped.  It is not as if I can just do a weathering job over where the numbers should be because the impression I have is that the numbers were cleaned so that they could be seen.

• RMweb Premium

Remember that the numbers only seem to have been on the ends. That's why there seems to be so little information. But you can at least rukle out numbers which would not be appropriate, eg any of the wagons built by the Cambrian itself as far as I can see.

That is a cop-out. He could, of course, invite everyone to Boxing Day dinner, and take you all to his local posh restaurant.

Morning Jane,

The thought had crossed my mind but accommodation for so many inebriated souls then becomes an issue. In fairness to the lad, he always 'chips in' towards the expense and turns up with lots of gifts, especially thoughtful ones at that!

Sorry to hi-Jack your thread with domestic comments Chris!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Jane, just found your garden layout from the link in your post, very impressive work indeed and well worth a look for anyone who hasn't yet seen it! Well done indeed!!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember that the numbers only seem to have been on the ends. That's why there seems to be so little information. But you can at least rukle out numbers which would not be appropriate, eg any of the wagons built by the Cambrian itself as far as I can see.

Jonathan,

Thank you.  Yes I did know where the numbers were but to be honest I probably have read but not absorbed that the early ones were not built by the Cambrian.  When I have painted them I will have a good look through for photos, and try and find what numbers I should use.  I am not in a hurry though as I shall probably research while I do other things.

• RMweb Gold

When I have painted them I will have a good look through for photos, and try and find what numbers I should use.

Chris,

This may not go down well with all modellers, but as you are adding in a station to the line, with it's attendant traffic, I would be inclined to have just one or two unique wagons of my own as well as the ones identified from photos, just to show that the station being there generated a little more traffic than was on the line, so needed the extra wagon or two. The conversation could then go thus: "All of the wagons are as appeared on the line, except for that one, and that one, which were needed in addition as a result of the Traeth Mawr traffic."

Maybe a little far fetched... but that's what I'd do! It's sort of like adding yourself in model form as a station master, or porter.

But don't tell anyone else I said so ;)

I hope you have a good Christmas, especially your big do on 28th!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

This may not go down well with all modellers, but as you are adding in a station to the line, with it's attendant traffic, I would be inclined to have just one or two unique wagons of my own as well as the ones identified from photos, just to show that the station being there generated a little more traffic than was on the line, so needed the extra wagon or two. The conversation could then go thus: "All of the wagons are as appeared on the line, except for that one, and that one, which were needed in addition as a result of the Traeth Mawr traffic."

Maybe a little far fetched... but that's what I'd do! It's sort of like adding yourself in model form as a station master, or porter.

But don't tell anyone else I said so ;)

I hope you have a good Christmas, especially your big do on 28th!

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

That is quite a nice idea.  The question I have to think about is, what?  The Cambrian itself had a very limited number of types of wagon most of which do not have a kit.  Traeth Mawr is a market town with no real industry.  There will be cattle wagons conveying sheep.  I have some Shepherd Neame wagons but it is stretching a point to deliver Kentish Beer to a pub in Wales.  It would have to be I suppose more than a different type of covered wagon.  As the Cambrian moved most things in 2 plankers.......

• RMweb Gold

Crawfish or mussels maybe? Rabbits are another possibility (something that I discovered was quite a significant trade from NE!). Though you're quite correct that cattle and sheep would probably be the main staple. Doesn't need to be a big trade, just enough to give you that bit of traffic that adds the unique flavour of your layout. Sorry... I'm not helping much am I :)

Edited to say that cockles are maybe more likely than mussels when I pay attention to the meaning of the name Traeth Mawr!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Crawfish or mussels maybe? Rabbits are another possibility (something that I discovered was quite a significant trade from NE!). Though you're quite correct that cattle and sheep would probably be the main staple. Doesn't need to be a big trade, just enough to give you that bit of traffic that adds the unique flavour of your layout. Sorry... I'm not helping much am I :)

Edited to say that cockles are maybe more likely than mussels when I pay attention to the meaning of the name Traeth Mawr!

Neil,

Now that is interesting.  I assume that they would be transported in Fish Vans.  I suppose they could be packed in ice and put in the Guards compartment; Cambrian Guards Vans generally were full Brakes so would not smell out the passengers.

However, although Traeth Mawr is not a port there are a number of fishing cottages on both sides of he railway as the boats were pulled up onto the beach, or more specifically, traeth.  Mackerel, crabs and other crustaceans were caught and those that were not used locally in the hotels that are along the promenade off to the left of the layout as you look at it from the front, were shipped to, ooh, lots of places, I will have to read my 'Visitors Guide to Traeth Mawr' again which was published in the summer of 1894 by the local council.

I will also have to look at the fish trade and see if this is a possibility.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen that Hornby will be producing 'scale' clerestory coaches.  At first glance they have not said which diagram, does anyone know or could they tell me where to look?

Hi Chris,

You can find them here...

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/coaches/gwr-clerestory-third-class-coach.html

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/gwr-clerestory-brake-coach.html

What they are I leave to those far more educated than me. As far as I can see, those are the only ones... no first class. The train pack also seems to have two of the all third and the third brake.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

You can find them here...

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/coaches/gwr-clerestory-third-class-coach.html

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/gwr-clerestory-brake-coach.html

What they are I leave to those far more educated than me. As far as I can see, those are the only ones... no first class. The train pack also seems to have two of the all third and the third brake.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

Thanks.  They have no information about which diagram it is.  I will probably have to trawl through my 'Russells' to find which ones they are.  If no first class they are unlikely to have been usd as through coaches I would assume.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

The other option is that your local coal merchant has a wagon. Quite a few had only one. But don't number it 1 of course. At your period it might well be dumb buffered and quite possibly bought second hand. You must have decided on his/her name already seeing that all your figures seem to have personalities. Mind you it would probably have spent much of its time in the yard being unloaded, so perhaps that's how it needs to be modelled.

I have a feeling that it would take an awful lot of cockles to require an extra vehicle on the local train. Now if you add the laver bread . . .

Jonathan

• Like 1

The other option is that your local coal merchant has a wagon. Quite a few had only one. But don't number it 1 of course. At your period it might well be dumb buffered and quite possibly bought second hand. You must have decided on his/her name already seeing that all your figures seem to have personalities. Mind you it would probably have spent much of its time in the yard being unloaded, so perhaps that's how it needs to be modelled.

I have a feeling that it would take an awful lot of cockles to require an extra vehicle on the local train. Now if you add the laver bread . . .

Jonathan

I've seen a number of photographs of Private Owner wagons for small local users where the number used was the year of building. Made them look a bit more impressive when trudnling around the system.

Mark A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan

Jonathan,

There is a coal merchants in the yard but I had not thought about him having his own wagon, just a colliery one so one of his own would be interesting.  It will be on the same line as the exchange for the slates from the narrow gauge railway which I will need to think about.  It is that side that is really cramped for space.

I had not thought about a name for the Coal Merchant as I have not got a figure for him yet, but it is likely to be Jones the Coal, or Davis or Lewis.  He may appear with the new set of Andrew Stadden figures although I like what Mikkel has done with the Dart Castings one.  Maybe I will have both.

As for the extra wagon, that is why I was thinking of the fishing boats selling their catches but that may also be too small for a whole extra wagon, and they could not store it up until there was enough.  I will read up on fish traffic.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a number of photographs of Private Owner wagons for small local users where the number used was the year of building. Made them look a bit more impressive when trudnling around the system.

Mark A.

Mark,

Thank you for that.  That is quite interesting and very useful.  1880 might make it too new I suppose, more interesting thinking.

Just popped in to wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS

and thank you for the links etc that have helped me select items for AV. I think your mad scientist makes an appearance at AVs Christmas Eve party......I'm considering adding a wig (cotton wool) for the occasion LOL.

Morning Chris,

To simply echo Jaz's comment above, I hope that you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. Thank you for the entertainment, I look forward to more next year!

Kind regards,

Jock.