Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

I thought I ought to post what I have been doing.  I have not had that much time to model so modelling has taken priority over posting.

I have bought the wood for the protective sides and may start to glue them together tomorrow.  I had a senior moment when I was for a week or so convinced I had built my baseboards from 6mm ply.  It was not until I got home I realised I had actually done it in 9mm ply.  (I wondered why it looked so flimsy!)

It does not really matter except the protection at the end will be 9mm and the sides 6mm.  Depending on whether the builders turn up tomorrow to finish some things off depends on whether I start laying cork on my baseboards.

However, I have done a small amount of work on a GWR coach which I will put up when I have done some more plus I have started on 3 Cambrian kits of Cambrian 2 plank wagons. (Now is that confusing.  I had thought I had got it made when I came across Cambrian, until I found out, at that time, they did no Cambrians Railways kits.)

The two plank wagon was the most numerous and I ought to put a few on my Christmas list.

attachicon.gifThree 3 stages.jpg

I have tried to have a production line.  The wagon with wheels is on some track just to prove that it did really arrive.  As soon as I finished this photo shoot I put the truck with wheels down elsewhere on the table and it promptly rolled off, popping out its wheels and the end coming off.  It is fixed now but it is of course very prototypical as the Cambrian used them so much with very little repairs that they on occasions just fell apart.

Now to a question.  The trucks should be painted light grey, or dark grey depending on when they were built and both are right for 1895.  My question is, should I go for a Precision paints colour or is there a Humbrol grey that is about right.  Having said this I assume that the Cream and Chocolate Humbrol make are not the right colours for GWR and I will need the Precision paints for these. 

If you have been, thanks for looking.

EEEEEk!!!!!!! I can only suggest to you what I said to Polly / Southern42 track down Sasquatch.....that man is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to wagons. He managed to help her out, and hopefully he can help you.....I'd PM him.......and then pretend you noticed this fact on her thread......and that I am not sending all our mates to him to solve their problems LOL......(He is such a nice bloke if he can he will) meantime secret squirrel....I never said a word....... :jester:

• Like 1

Morning Chris,

I wonder how much of our feeling about dark and grey women's clothing stems from Victoria's period of mourning? Wonder if she could be seen as a leader of fashion, or was it the womenfolk coming out in sympathy?

Kind regards

Jock.

PS another vote for the top roof! Not a historical statement, more a 'rule1' feeling that it's more pleasing to the eye!

It's worth pointing out that before cheap coal tar type dyes came out, black and other dark colours were very expensive, and thus high prestige. With vegetable dyes, to get black involved two or three separate dying processes. Purple was even more expensive, hence it's association with royalty. In general, you would find upper class men mostly ewearing black, women either dark colours or white or light colours, mostly for the young and in summer. The lower orders would mostly be in browns, sometimes green, and the middle classes somewhere inbetween.

Mark A

• RMweb Gold

It's worth pointing out that before cheap coal tar type dyes came out, black and other dark colours were very expensive, and thus high prestige. With vegetable dyes, to get black involved two or three separate dying processes. Purple was even more expensive, hence it's association with royalty. In general, you would find upper class men mostly wearing black, women either dark colours or white or light colours, mostly for the young and in summer. The lower orders would mostly be in browns, sometimes green, and the middle classes somewhere inbetween.

Mark A

Mark,

Thank you for your comments.  I have done some research but any further information is always helpful. 

I find the subject very interesting.  The newer dyes came out in the 1860s and it seemed that by the 1890s there was a range of dyes but I have no idea how expensive they were.  However, when you look at prints of fashion from the time they seem to have a large variety of colours, and not all dark and colours you would not expect necessarily.

I will continue to research.  (Perhaps I should have had a nice WW1 layout with everyone in uniform.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Continuing on from last night.  I had intended to do a run through of how I got on building this kit.  I probably should have done some more pictures to go with it but time has been short.

The kit mould is good with no flash, (guess who reads Plastic Soldier Review?)  The instructions said attach one end to the floor first, making sure that it is centred properly.  I attached it first assuming that the floor went inside the buffer.  Wrong!  I then attached it with the buffer under the floor but then thought that the raised portion on the side was a lip to sit on the floor, or vice versa.  The end was in the right position but I again removed it and tried it with the buffer butting the end.  Wrong again!

I went back to the buffer under the floor and found that the raised line should butt the floor.  I also found that the ends of the floor were not necessarily square but had small protrusions so needed filing.  I decided for the second and third one that it was easier to glue the end to one side as this ensured that the end was central.

You may ask why I did not do a dry run.  Well I did but as there is a lack of fixing points without glue it was quite difficult.  As I type I have thought, "Why not use Blutak to hold the bits together."  Umm good question.

The axleboxes need brass bearings fitted.  Mine are from Alan Gibson.  They have a round lip, but the axlebox has the two hangers either side of the hole making the opening rectangular.  I tried scrapping back some of the plastic which was not a success so the bearings were held in a pair of pliers and the lip was filed down on either side to fit the opening.  The bottom was then filed flat and the bearing offered up to the axelbox to check the fit.  When I was happy I put a small blob of superglue on the bottom of the bearing and pushed it in the hole.  The only way to do this is using your fingers, and very carefully.  Fortunately I have nails on my right hand to hold them.  I am not sure if it was luck or judgement that meant all the bearing are glued in the right place and I am not stuck to anything.

The solebars are easy to fit as there as lugs underneath to push the against as you glue them.  One side was glued, left for a while to set and then the other side plus the wheels, although I think there is enough flex in the W irons to put them in after. 

That is as far as I have got.  I have to admit that three wagons in just over a week must be seen as speedy work considering.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with my updates of very little progress.  Today I have added some cork to one of my boards.  Just to remind you, one board looks like this

post-11508-0-41956800-1416512424.jpg

This is the board at the back on the right as you face it from the front.  Now with the cork added.

post-11508-0-12072400-1416512534.jpg

I used this board as the curve on it is from a piece of Settrack and a curved point.  I felt if I did this one first then it would fix the rest of the layout.  I have removed as much Settrack from the layout except where absolutely necessary.  I also found out that I have bought the small radius points for the fiddle yard.  Ho hum.  I have made everything else at least 2nd radius, and I think these are but they are not going back.

I will need to probably put all four boards up together to do the rest.  To do that I will need to do two things.  Firstly buy a new printer to print out the track plan, as my present one died a couple of weeks ago, and secondly buy the dowels I have been talking about since about page two of the thread.

I have obviously not tried very hard as I Googled tonight and came up with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-12mm-Precision-Model-Railway-Train-Set-Baseboard-Alignment-Dowel-Pins-Joiner-/290767745809

or interestingly, this

http://www.fephydraulics.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_13&products_id=1789

Thoughts would be appreciated.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

I have used the former, though not on DE, and found them to be very effective. I am sure that I didn't pay that much for them though. I'll check when I get home and post tomorrow.

Obviously you still need something to hold the boards together. either bolts or clips. The second link looks interesting but I have no experience of them. At that price though, I may give them a try.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

I have used the former, though not on DE, and found them to be very effective. I am sure that I didn't pay that much for them though. I'll check when I get home and post tomorrow.

Obviously you still need something to hold the boards together. either bolts or clips. The second link looks interesting but I have no experience of them. At that price though, I may give them a try.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

Thanks.  I think I found the first set on another site at 95p each pair. 

I was going to bolt the boards end to end so the second type could be substituted quite easily.  Side by side the boards are held together by bolts through the legs, so I could use either.  It is which one has the least play.  Also, the first ones, and looking at these again they are the largest and I would go for the 8mm size, but they would protrude through the ply by a couple of mm so I wonder if they might get knocked?  The first web site I was on seemed to say that you could have quite big tolerances if you were not using finescale.

Continuing with my updates of very little progress.  Today I have added some cork to one of my boards.  Just to remind you, one board looks like this

attachicon.gifPre Cork 1.jpg

This is the board at the back on the right as you face it from the front.  Now with the cork added.

attachicon.gifCork 1.jpg

I used this board as the curve on it is from a piece of Settrack and a curved point.  I felt if I did this one first then it would fix the rest of the layout.  I have removed as much Settrack from the layout except where absolutely necessary.  I also found out that I have bought the small radius points for the fiddle yard.  Ho hum.  I have made everything else at least 2nd radius, and I think these are but they are not going back.

I will need to probably put all four boards up together to do the rest.  To do that I will need to do two things.  Firstly buy a new printer to print out the track plan, as my present one died a couple of weeks ago, and secondly buy the dowels I have been talking about since about page two of the thread.

I have obviously not tried very hard as I Googled tonight and came up with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-12mm-Precision-Model-Railway-Train-Set-Baseboard-Alignment-Dowel-Pins-Joiner-/290767745809

or interestingly, this

http://www.fephydraulics.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_13&products_id=1789

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Another useful source of baseboard bits and pieces is

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/

I've used them. Generally very good quality and quick mail-order turn round.

Mark A

• RMweb Gold

As you may have guessed I have not done vast amounts of modelling in the last week or so.  This is partly due to having to pack my stuff away and partly trying to decide what to get out to do next.  I have pottered this week but finally decided what I was going to do last night when my wife asked me to do something.  (I seem to remember it had to do with spending money.)

However, I have finished building the 2 plank wagons, which I will post about when I have some photos.  I have also been gluing the side planks together and have nearly finished.  I have also ordered the bits from the two companies I was talking about last week.  FEP was quite cheap for the parts that screwed together but wanted to sell me something like 100 dowels so I bought six from Station Road Baseboards.  Thank you to those who replied on this one.

What I have been doing when it is too late to model, is to look at the Bradshaw's December 1895 timetable for trains through Barmouth,  I am not intending to run a timetable as such but it is interesting to know what exactly was the daily routine.  Barmouth is of course the next stop up from Traeth Mawr and in my world the trains that went to Dolgelley terminate at Traeth Mawr.

It has proved to be fascinating.  There are three trains each day from Pwllheli to Whitchurch but only two from Whitchurch to Pwllheli.  The balance is brought back by a Machynlleth to Pwllheli train.  I have not looked at how the coaches get from Whitchurch to Machynlleth.

Then we have the Dolgelley trains which appear mostly to trundle back and forth, except that on the GWR timetable for some of their trains they have a time at Barmouth.  Doesthis mean that they connected or ran through. Why is this important to Traeth Mawr?  It is obviously important to DonW modelling Dolgelley but it is important to me because if they ran through then I could run trains with GWR carriages.  Unfortunately I do not think they did because, 1) the train balance would not work, and 2) I am fairly cerain that I have not see any photographic evidence for it.

What is even more fascinating is that there is a Machynlleth to Barmouth train.  Not that interesting in itself but at Barmouth Junction it appears to couple up to the Dolgelley train and run into Barmouth as one train.  It would then appear to return to Dolgelley as one train because later in the day a train arrives from Dolgelley in Barmouth and then appears to go straight back to Machynlleth.  Even more interestingly, the afternoon train from Pwllheli, leaves Barmouth at the same time as the Dolgelley train, which of course is impossible,and so must divide at Barmouth Junction.

So my question is, where did they put the locomotives when the trains split and where did they get them from to make two trains?  See, I told you his was fascinating and you did not believe me!

This does not directly effect Traeth Mawr except as to what coaches appear when.  Any thoughts, knowledge, access to WTTs would be gratefully received.

• RMweb Premium

You had better ask your wife for the WRRC Folio no 1 for Christmas - the Cambrian Oct 3rd 1921 WTT. A snip at £3.95 (plus p&p). A bit late for you but I'll bet things hadn't changed that much.

Alternatively, WRRC members can borrow the May 1919 WTT. They don't seem to have an earlier one.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

You had better ask your wife for the WRRC Folio no 1 for Christmas - the Cambrian Oct 3rd 1921 WTT. A snip at £3.95 (plus p&p). A bit late for you but I'll bet things hadn't changed that much.

Alternatively, WRRC members can borrow the May 1919 WTT. They don't seem to have an earlier one.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you, I had seen that.  I think things did change over the years.  I suppose what I should really do is look at my 1910 TT and see how different it to 1895.

I know they tried to speed trains up and then I 1895 introduced tank engines on the Dolgelley line rather than tender engines.  I am sure the pace of change was not as great as now but I do not wish to assume anything.

• RMweb Gold

I have looked at the 1910 timetable and found some interesting differences between that and 1895.  Firstly there is a new first train of the day from Whitchurch to Barmouth, but no return working.  The train from Machynlleth to Dolgelley now goes to Pwllheli, but there is a train from Dolgelley to Machynlleth. The train from Pwllheli that divided at Barmouth still does, and this makes an extra trip to Dolgelley, which is not returned. 

There are more trains, some are faster and some are not.  Did the train from Whitchurch to Barmouth get returned on the first train back?  If so why did it run, was it a mail train, and how long was it?  Was it the portion that was sent up to Dolgelley later?

This is all fascinating, and probably points to through coaches and trains.  I think that probably only WTT for the relevant timetable would give an exact answer but if these are unavailable then at four quid the 1921 WTT would be a good place to start.

I have looked at the 1910 timetable and found some interesting differences between that and 1895.  Firstly there is a new first train of the day from Whitchurch to Barmouth, but no return working.  The train from Machynlleth to Dolgelley now goes to Pwllheli, but there is a train from Dolgelley to Machynlleth. The train from Pwllheli that divided at Barmouth still does, and this makes an extra trip to Dolgelley, which is not returned. 

There are more trains, some are faster and some are not.  Did the train from Whitchurch to Barmouth get returned on the first train back?  If so why did it run, was it a mail train, and how long was it?  Was it the portion that was sent up to Dolgelley later?

This is all fascinating, and probably points to through coaches and trains.  I think that probably only WTT for the relevant timetable would give an exact answer but if these are unavailable then at four quid the 1921 WTT would be a good place to start.

The National Archives has the 1910 Public Timetable at RAIL 923/34 and Service Timetable at RAIL 923/35. If you can't get easily to Kew PM me, and I'll photgraph them---I get up there pretty well every week, and it would only take a few minutes.

Mark A

• RMweb Gold

The National Archives has the 1910 Public Timetable at RAIL 923/34 and Service Timetable at RAIL 923/35. If you can't get easily to Kew PM me, and I'll photgraph them---I get up there pretty well every week, and it would only take a few minutes.

Mark A

Mark,

Thank you for what you have done so far.  I do have the Bradshaw for 1910 which I believe will cover the public timetable.  Could you explain the difference between the Public and Service timetable?  Is the Service timetable the WTT?

I thought I should look at the difference between 1895 and 1910 to see how much difference there was as it appeared that the only timetable available was from 1921.  However, I have since found there is a reprint of 1904, but of course anything that gets closer to the year of operation the better. 

My layout will eventually be based in Spring, well March, 1895.  A number of years ago I went to Kew to look at a Bradshaw of 1895 but at the time the best I could do was copy out some times.  I intend to go in the new year to view it again and this time photograph it.  I assume that they do not have the Cambrian Public Timetable for that period?

Mark,

Thank you for what you have done so far.  I do have the Bradshaw for 1910 which I believe will cover the public timetable.  Could you explain the difference between the Public and Service timetable?  Is the Service timetable the WTT?

I thought I should look at the difference between 1895 and 1910 to see how much difference there was as it appeared that the only timetable available was from 1921.  However, I have since found there is a reprint of 1904, but of course anything that gets closer to the year of operation the better. 

My layout will eventually be based in Spring, well March, 1895.  A number of years ago I went to Kew to look at a Bradshaw of 1895 but at the time the best I could do was copy out some times.  I intend to go in the new year to view it again and this time photograph it.  I assume that they do not have the Cambrian Public Timetable for that period?

Chris,

Some companies refered to the Working Timetable as the Service Timetable. Both the Cambrian and the GWR did. Otherwise, they're the same thing. There's no Public Timetable for 1895: there's one for 1894 and then 1898, so I would assume the 1894 one simply carried on (It's RAIL 923/17, bound with the STTs). They generally said 1894 until further notice, and at that time most companies only issued a new timetable when things changed. Bradshaw (it's RAIL 902 (No it's not, it's 903 and 1895 is at RAIL 903/96-98)) came out Monthly IIRC, so it's always worth cross-checking just in case a train time etc was changed with a Special Notice. There's a 923/15, Special Train Notices. It's dated 1887, but this might just be the date of the first one. You've got to treat TNA dates in RAIL with a bit of suspicion. What they did was look at the first page, write down the earliest date; look at the last page and write down the latest. Fine for minutes, not much good for other stuff.

Do you have a current Readers Ticket? If so, you can pre-order documents: when you do so ask for a seat at a photographic table. They have nice sturdy camera stands you can fix your digicam to, so no camera shake and much easier to square up the image.

I'll try to get that stuff to you tonight: I'm afraid it slipped my mind last night.

Mark A

Edited by MarkAustin

Afternoon Chris,

Sorry to say that I've lost touch with your thread for a while (trying to keep up with too many!). Apologies to all for a rash of ratings!

Looks like it won't be long until some track work can be started. I look forward to the next post,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Some companies refered to the Working Timetable as the Service Timetable. Both the Cambrian and the GWR did. Otherwise, they're the same thing. There's no Public Timetable for 1895: there's one for 1894 and then 1898, so I would assume the 1894 one simply carried on (It's RAIL 923/17, bound with the STTs). They generally said 1894 until further notice, and at that time most companies only issued a new timetable when things changed. Bradshaw (it's RAIL 902 (No it's not, it's 903 and 1895 is at RAIL 903/96-98)) came out Monthly IIRC, so it's always worth cross-checking just in case a train time etc was changed with a Special Notice. There's a 923/15, Special Train Notices. It's dated 1887, but this might just be the date of the first one. You've got to treat TNA dates in RAIL with a bit of suspicion. What they did was look at the first page, write down the earliest date; look at the last page and write down the latest. Fine for minutes, not much good for other stuff.

Do you have a current Readers Ticket? If so, you can pre-order documents: when you do so ask for a seat at a photographic table. They have nice sturdy camera stands you can fix your digicam to, so no camera shake and much easier to square up the image.

I'll try to get that stuff to you tonight: I'm afraid it slipped my mind last night.

Mark A

Mark,

Thank you for your information, I am very grateful.  I assumed that maybe there were summer and winter timetables but maybe that was more into the beginning of the 20th century when Denniss was trying to increase the tourist trade.  My problem is that I have read most of the books on the Cambrian but it was a few years ago and I have forgotten most of it.

I do not have a current reading ticket.  I think I have been there once or twice although I only remember one occasion definitely.  I will be in South Kensington on a Wednesday for a period after Christmas and I was intending to call in there, partly for timetables and partly to track the war record if possible of my Step-Granddad, who told me he was an 'Old Contemptible'.  I will try and interrogate the online catalogue to see what is available and I might want.

The last time I went I think was before the advent of digital cameras so the fact they have tables for photography is really very interesting.

Thank you for your help.  I did not start with the intention of running to a timetable, partly because my station is fictitious, but it would be good to try and represent what would have happened, therefore I need to get my head round what they actually did.  I was very interested on DonW's thread where they said that there were only two goods trains through Dolgelley daily where I would have assumed that there would have been more.

Also knowing where the through coaches came from and went to is useful as it may mean I can run stock from other companies.  I may do this anyway although I have just read a comment from Denniss to the Board which gives me he impression that the Cambrian were very keen to have their coaches as the through coaches as it gave them more revenue and advertising which they would lose if these coaches were from the other companies.

Thank you again, and I look forward to what you will send.

• Like 2

sometimes not modelling gives you a chance to sit back and rationalise where you want to be.....a lot of people spend a lot of time on the panning stage for this reason...although in my experience few people don't change modify rip out and start again.....LOL....Larry has so much to answer for

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Chris,

Sorry to say that I've lost touch with your thread for a while (trying to keep up with too many!). Apologies to all for a rash of ratings!

Looks like it won't be long until some track work can be started. I look forward to the next post,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

I hope you got on well earlier this week.  I have seen no comments elsewhere so I assume that you did.

Not to worry about keeping up.  I find that often there is too much for me to follow easily and so I limit any new threads to ones that are really relevant.   Some nights it is a choice between the Web or modelling

Do not hold your breath over the track.  My timetable has slipped and I have other things that need to be done before Christmas so I doubt if any more will get done before the New Year.  However, I do have my dowels, and I have glued the side protectors together, and I am painting the trucks and going back to the cottage.  I am fairly keen to get the track laid as my grandson is really into trains at the moment even though he is still quite young.

All the best and thank you for looking in.

• RMweb Gold

sometimes not modelling gives you a chance to sit back and rationalise where you want to be.....a lot of people spend a lot of time on the panning stage for this reason...although in my experience few people don't change modify rip out and start again.....LOL....Larry has so much to answer for

Jaz,

I think the planning I am doing will bring a greater reality to the running.  I have no intention of ripping my track up, as I would have to lay it first anyway.  :jester:   I am afraid that I am stuck with what I have, as I really need twenty feet probably to do just the station justice so I will have to be content with what I have.

However, I am making GREAT STRIDES FORWARDS, at snails pace.  :yes:  

All the track bit is completely new to me.  The track I have had before was put down and taken up each session, well apart from my son's 009 layout which was stuck down with track pins and took me forever to wire up, just in time for his mother to suggest we rearrange his bedroom.  Less time at the start of next year as well, so we shall see what happens.

All the best.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit late for your period but there was a detailed analysis by the late Harold Morgan in the November 1999 issue of Welsh Railways Archive (Vol 2 no 10) of the through carriage workings of the Cambrian Railways for the summer of 1912. There are also several later articles about through workings from South Wales to Aberystwyth but none of these ventured further north. In the most recent issue (Vol 5 no 9) Richard Maund added some extra information and clarifications for Harold's article.

In looking up these articles I also came across the following which may be useful:

"The 1904 Cambrian Railways full public timetable (the so-called Penny Time Book) for July, August and September 1904 was reprinted (together with the Working Time Book for the same months) by Oxford Publishing Co in 1977". I haven't looked to see if it is available secondhand.

PM me if you would like me to scan the two articles (9pp) and e-mail it to you. Or are you already a member of the WRRC?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

A bit late for your period but there was a detailed analysis by the late Harold Morgan in the November 1999 issue of Welsh Railways Archive (Vol 2 no 10) of the through carriage workings of the Cambrian Railways for the summer of 1912. There are also several later articles about through workings from South Wales to Aberystwyth but none of these ventured further north. In the most recent issue (Vol 5 no 9) Richard Maund added some extra information and clarifications for Harold's article.

In looking up these articles I also came across the following which may be useful:

"The 1904 Cambrian Railways full public timetable (the so-called Penny Time Book) for July, August and September 1904 was reprinted (together with the Working Time Book for the same months) by Oxford Publishing Co in 1977". I haven't looked to see if it is available secondhand.

PM me if you would like me to scan the two articles (9pp) and e-mail it to you. Or are you already a member of the WRRC?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you.  I am actually a member of WRRC so I should be able to get a copy of the through coaches.  I had seen that there is a reprint of the 1904 WTT and I may see if I can obtain it once I have viewed the documents from the National Archive

• RMweb Gold

Chris

I will do you some photocopies of the 1904 working time book for the coast lines. There were a lot of changes between 1895 and 1912. You already have details of the through coaches from the 1904 book. Certainly GWR through coaches worked to Barmouth and Pwllheli via Dogelly or Butttingham. There is some info on from HArold's article in my thread. There was also a article on Cambrian coaches from Mike Lloyd in one of the early issues of the Archive.

There is a good match for Cambrian grey in the Humbroil range according to Chris Basten I have some pots but couldn't lay my hands on them quickly. As soon as I can I will let you know the number

Don

• RMweb Gold

Chris

I will do you some photocopies of the 1904 working time book for the coast lines. There were a lot of changes between 1895 and 1912. You already have details of the through coaches from the 1904 book. Certainly GWR through coaches worked to Barmouth and Pwllheli via Dogelly or Butttingham. There is some info on from HArold's article in my thread. There was also a article on Cambrian coaches from Mike Lloyd in one of the early issues of the Archive.

There is a good match for Cambrian grey in the Humbroil range according to Chris Basten I have some pots but couldn't lay my hands on them quickly. As soon as I can I will let you know the number

Don

Don,

Thank you for that.  The more working timetable information the better.  I will go back to your thread and have a read.  Looking at the Archive the article on the coaches is in Vol 1, nos 1&2.  No 1 is sold out and No2 only has a few copies.  I was going to order it and it was the next thing I intended to do about two weeks ago, when I get a moment and remember, the two do not always coincide, I will do it, along with ordering the GWR journals, or was that on another thread?

I have downloaded the WRRC paint suggestions and it says Humbrol 64.  On the instructions it said some earlier vehicles were dark grey so I have painted two dark and the third light grey.  I had assumed that the lower numbers would be earlier and so would have the darker colour until I noticed that the picture I was working from was 927, quite an early number but was in light grey.  It did have the Cam Rys on it so it may have been repainted at the time.  Maybe when I photograph them the numbers will not be visible.