Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

I always like your figure work Chris, the last two are particularly effective. I'd leave the line on the bottom of the skirt of the fiancé (does she not have a name?) as I think it looks very effective as an attached strip of material. The ribbon on Edwina's hat is excellent. It's hard to remember that on screen at about 90 mm they are four times the actual size that you've modelled them!

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Thank you.  Yes a lot of the issue is that they are much bigger then real life and all blemishes show up. 

Name, umm.  She is going to marry the young Englishman who lives up the valley who is the major shareholder in the narrow gauge railway.  He is not Chairman but is very much in the background to spare the blushes of the local population.  You might guess his name.  His future wife and this model is Judith.

Lovely work as ever Chris. I'm a long way off modelling yet, and the only figures I'll need are footplate crewmen and general MPD staff - Ill certainly be cribbing from your thread though. Wonder if I could conceivably make a model of my dad, Jock senior, in his drivers kit?

That would be something to amuse the great grandchildren who sadly never got to meet him!

Look forward to the next episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work as ever Chris. I'm a long way off modelling yet, and the only figures I'll need are footplate crewmen and general MPD staff - Ill certainly be cribbing from your thread though. Wonder if I could conceivably make a model of my dad, Jock senior, in his drivers kit?

That would be something to amuse the great grandchildren who sadly never got to meet him!

Look forward to the next episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

You may not make one of him but if you look around you may find one that looks like him.  If he had a beard or moustache then you could take a model and add it with DAS or Milliput.  The best ones for the fifties are probably Dart Castings but there are a n umber as I have listed previously..

Right so here goes.  Here are the pictures of the Welsh Fusiliers with Colour Sergeant Kal and his wife Jaz.  I have not done much else on the modelling bench for weeks, and to be honest looking at these pictures may do some more work on them before I finally varnish them but I shall do them as I do other things so I am posting them not because they look wonderful or that I am completely happy with them, more that I am moving on, although not quite sure what to yet.

The whole parade

attachicon.gifFusilliers 1.jpg

Of course as I edited it I realised Jaz is out of focus, being too clever that was the trouble.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 2.jpg

Still a bit out of focus.  Now in case you have wondered I have already pm'd Jaz with a picture of the figure.  (You do not think that I would put up a model of someone who knows how to paint and understands colour without getting their approval first do you?)  Jaz suggested that I highlighted some folds with a pale grey wash.  I tried and it was a disaster although there may still be a trace of it.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 3.jpg

The other side

attachicon.gifFusilliers 4.jpg

More of the parade close up.  I am not posting the front three as the bugler is out of focus. (My camera is completely adjustable apart from the focus)

You will note that some sergeants have gold stripes the others are lance sergeants and their stripes are white.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 5.jpg

This is just to show that Kal really is a colour sergeant.  The gold dot above the stripes should be a red and gold crown- no not in 4mm.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 6.jpg

Another of Kal & Jaz.  It was suggested brown 'pork chops' with an orange tinge.  I tried using a yellow ochre gauche, a type of paint that I had never used before.  Again nearly a disaster but it has worked, but not in this picture I think.  Oh well.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 7.jpg

One young officer who is not really sure what to do with a rifle and two musicians who are carrying them for someone else.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 8.jpg

Here are the four Sergeants.  The one second from the right I tried to give his beard a grey wash.  Oh dear.  He will get his face repainted as will the others.

attachicon.gifFusilliers 9.jpg

The final three.  There is not a good picture of the horse which I am still working on, and have forgotten to paint the brass on its harness.  Also trying to work out what would be the best colour for the hooves.

The colours are as accurate as possible although I think the trousers could be darker and I am sure none would past muster on a wargames forum.

Thanks for looking,

Fantastc and thank you, they look superb. Not been following the forum much for a number of weeks, so this was an enjoyable catch up.

Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold

I have been getting on with the coach roof but more of that another time when I have done enough to warrant posting.  I have started on the tweed trial.  I am not sure if it will be Harris or Lewis Tweed, but so far, well see below.

post-11508-0-26091900-1411123897.jpg

Here are the three clear paints that I hoped would have the effect I wanted.

Here are two images of all three figurespost-11508-0-50198300-1411123988.jpg

post-11508-0-71091800-1411124003.jpg

The guy in the middle I have drawn very thin lines, the gentleman on the left in the first picture I painted all over and the lady on the other side I used a tooth brush to dab the paint on.

This is a trial to see how things work, and yes before you post a reply, it has not worked.  Firstly I assumed that the paint would be much thinner and so the underlying paint would show through more.  If you shine a bright light directly onto it that is what happens but it is not what you normally see.

I bought a new very thin paint brush this week.  Still a 5/0 but this one is made by J P Perrins and is the thinnest one I have.  This can produce very thin lines, once trimmed, but does not hold much paint.  I need to learn to use it.  The width of lines is probably no narrower than I would have got with my other brushes.

The lady with the toothbrush was a complete failure.  The paint clumped together on the ends of the bristles and produced large blobs.  (Of course it would, I can hear you all saying!)  I wiped as much off as I can.

I read a couple of blogs and apart from people saying that with Tamiya you get brush marks and only use it in airbrushes, they recommended you thin it.  Well, that was the point, if I was going to thin the paint to begin with I would have thinned my Humbrol enamels.  They also recommend the proper thinners for it but I might try with water, well why not?

So where do we go from here?  I will probably continue to paint Mr Stripey with neat paints.  I will repaint the other gentleman and lady and on one try diluted clear paint and on the other diluted enamels.  I will do both in stripes and see how we go.

So not a successful week, even Edwina Plunkett is not talking to me.

post-11508-0-45600800-1411124992.jpg

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 2

Hi Chris, why have I missed this, I've just read the first and last page, I will call back later for a proper read through, I do love the work on the figures.

Dee and I have been to Barmouth on several occasions whilst staying at Bala  but I have never been any further up the coast from there, it sound idyllic.

I will be back later so you will no doubt get some more likes etc.

EDIT = Just realised why I haven't see it, as its tucked away in the Welsh section. hahha

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, why have I missed this, I've just read the first and last page, I will call back later for a proper read through, I do love the work on the figures.

Dee and I have been to Barmouth on several occasions whilst staying at Bala  but I have never been any further up the coast from there, it sound idyllic.

I will be back later so you will no doubt get some more likes etc.

EDIT = Just realised why I haven't see it, as its tucked away in the Welsh section. hahha

Andy,

Thanks.  The progress has been a bit slow but there is progress.  There has to be as one of the reasons is so that the grandkids can play on it so it will have two purposes and two sets of stock.  The figures take up lots of time and ever so often I just want to go and CUT SOME PLASTIC.

Next update in a day or so because even though my wife is away I have seen lots of the grandkids so not very much modelling done..

• RMweb Gold

That's no excuse, you spotted my Newcastle Emlyn in here... though maybe that was the Lunster tag! Looking West is always a good thing though Andy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In case you thought that I had not been doing anything, the answer is, not as much as I had hoped.  My wife has been away for a few days and I thought that I would have loads of time.  Well, two whole days out of four where spent looking after grand children, although the second day was so that my son could help me rehang a couple of doors.  I have been painting figures which has been the usual slow but interesting.

First off one you have seen before.

post-11508-0-65127500-1411997766.jpg

I wondered why the banding around the bottom did not go all the way round and then I looked at a late Victorian fashion web page and realised that the front panel should be a different colour from the rest.  Should I change it or leave it?  If I change it what colour do you think?  If I did I would probably go for the same pale blue as at the bottom.  Vote Now!

I have also continued with the Tweed Trial and have some fairly poor exhibits and a couple that may be ok.  The trouble is that I am having difficulty getting pictures with enough light in to show the colour properly.  Our extension has so many windows and veluxes that you could be outside and that even plus a lamp does not help.  Any ideas?

So here is what I have also been working on, the coach.

post-11508-0-49718300-1411998148.jpg

Here is the first roof with 'chains' for the tops, made as 'Anotheran' suggested using 5 amp fuse wire.  It has then been sprayed with matt varnish.

post-11508-0-55696300-1411998286.jpg

This is the first and the second roof together.  The first has been painted with Humbrol 164 Dark Sea Grey which was as close as I had to Humbrol 145 Medium Grey.  It was suggested by Bill Bedford that I use a mid grey so that is what I aimed at but did not have that colour at the time.  The second is Mid Grey.  Which do you think is best to represent the greying of the white with the smoke?

Finally I had a go at the glazing.

post-11508-0-27412100-1411998557.jpg

This first side I have used PVA on all the windows as I wanted a method to have the droplights glazing further forward than the back of the door.

post-11508-0-52082100-1411998654.jpg

This side has used plastic on the main windows and PVA on the droplights.  It is no contest really but I will probably use PVA on old cottages. 

I might even finish this soon.

EDIT:  Wrong Satin paint number changed!

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 6

Hi

Cannot help with Dress, I only ever think of Victorian Era as being quite grey and lacking bright colours, but that thought maybe misconceived.

Regarding the Roof, not sure of what is correct, but the top one, I can picture as being a once white, but now smoky and  dirty colour. For me the second just looks grey.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Cannot help with Dress, I only ever think of Victorian Era as being quite grey and lacking bright colours, but that thought maybe misconceived.

Regarding the Roof, not sure of what is correct, but the top one, I can picture as being a once white, but now smoky and  dirty colour. For me the second just looks grey.

Kal,

Thanks.  I am not sure how much the difference is down to the fact that the top one is a satin paint sprayed with matt varnish and I am not sure that the spray is uniform even after about three coats.  I may put some dirt on as well, as the greying is a reaction between the lead paint and the sulphur in the smoke.

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Kal on the roofs. The top one looks much more like something that's got grey through weathering/chemical action rather than the second that looks like it started grey.

On the dress from the point of view of someone who has never claimed to be an expert in late Victorian women's fashion I think you could go for quite a variety of options. I would have assumed that the front "panel" would have been a shade of the main but the examples I found often showed quite significant contrasts like the two below:

Third picture on this... http://www.cymeburleah.com/loveslabour1898.html - though it's worth noting that the colours carry on up the bodice, colar and sleeves rather than being a separate jacket (which is what I assumed it was).

This one is similar colouring, but large patterns... http://xxkalaxx310.wikispaces.com/Women+of+the+Victorian+Era

So I'd go for the light blue as I don't think I'd attempt the patterning of the second one!

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Kal on the roofs. The top one looks much more like something that's got grey through weathering/chemical action rather than the second that looks like it started grey.

On the dress from the point of view of someone who has never claimed to be an expert in late Victorian women's fashion I think you could go for quite a variety of options. I would have assumed that the front "panel" would have been a shade of the main but the examples I found often showed quite significant contrasts like the two below:

Third picture on this... http://www.cymeburleah.com/loveslabour1898.html - though it's worth noting that the colours carry on up the bodice, colar and sleeves rather than being a separate jacket (which is what I assumed it was).

This one is similar colouring, but large patterns... http://xxkalaxx310.wikispaces.com/Women+of+the+Victorian+Era

So I'd go for the light blue as I don't think I'd attempt the patterning of the second one!

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

I probably will repaint the second roof unless there is an upsurge of 'NO! don't do it!'  We will then see f it is down to poor coverage with varnish or that it was painted white, then black washed and then painted grey.

I think it was that picture you showed me that made me realise what I should have done, although maybe on a different site.  This is definitely a jacket and skirt.  If I had realised I might have made the front panel grey to match the jacket.  Like Kal I always assumed the Victorians lived in black and white and their clothes were quite dull, but I have seen plates of quite colourful dresses.  I remember the 60s when men's clothing moved from suits and shirts and ties to more colourful things but I think women have always had colour.

Ok, I will see if anyone else has strong views.

It may have appeared that I have not been doing much modelling.  That is because, actually I have not.  The wife wanted a new carpet, (I will not say I got a new carpet for the wife, good swop really), so I have been moving things around and generally sorting things out.  However, I have been doing a few things.

So this week is back to the little people.  They do not look that wonderful as 1) they are mostly work in progress, and 2) even when I can see what is wrong with them blowing them up to 3 or 4 times the size makes them look worse.

The first three are for the 'Tweed' trial.  They all have been painted with Humbrol 29 and I have three Tamiya semi transparent paints, a red, a green and a yellow to paint over it.

First up is Dr Higgins.  He is Headmaster of the Lord Darnley Boy's School in Traeth Mawr, and if someone produces teenage Edwardians then the school depicted might be his and not the girl's school.  He is a Dart figure, but in trying to remove his hat I removed his head, so replaced it with someone else's.  His jacket is a medium size so will be painted with stripes of the three colours.

attachicon.gifHiggins 1.jpg

I have done his hair with a wash of black so hopefully it looks black/grey.  I also drilled through his hands to make them not like blocks of metal, and as you see the left hand one in the picture, his right, is fine, but the other one is not so good.

The second is Constance, who may be another teacher which is why her head is not painted.  I tried very hard to lengthen her dress with DAS clay, and spent ages with the side of a round pointing tool making the dents in the folds of the original match the extension, and as you see it has completely failed and looks awful.  I did not notice until I took the picture.  She has a tweed suit and will be painted using the wife's an old toothbrush.

attachicon.gifConstance.jpg

She also appears to have been on the sherry.

Finally, someone not even in period.  He is obviously a scientist due to his lack of taste in clothing.  He will also need some more painting.  He will be given washes of each colour. 

attachicon.gifJeff 1.jpg

Again I did his hair using a wash hoping that the grey would show through.

Had enough yet?

Last two waiting for final touch up and matt varnish.

This is Edwina Plunkett, a modified Dart Casting figure.  Skirt from DAS again.  It does not look very good from this angle but she is probably going into a coach.  Hat brim is Palstikard and the top is DAS.  She has two ribbons at the back made from paper which was dragged through the paint on the lid of the tin once opened, attached using the wet paint and then when dry superglued.

attachicon.gifEdwina Plunkett.jpg

attachicon.gifEdwina Plunkett 2.jpg

Finally, the fiancé of the man who owns Ty Mawr, the big house up the valley.  I have noticed things I need to do but am not sure if I need to tidy up the line at the bottom of the skirt; does leaving it rough make it look more like material?

attachicon.gifJudith.jpg

attachicon.gifJudith 2.jpg

If you have read this far wanting to know about the coach, sorry.  I have made some progress but not a lot.  Next update probably will be on that.

I missed this post somehow, sorry to go backwards

I like the fact you are addressing the light and shade in the clothes, that you are testing the darkness of the skin, and you can then light them in different ways seeing how the shadows work, I think the colours you have chosen are very appropriate for the era....so basically you are on the right track, IMO.and the tone of the colours is correct, until there was the 'new' colours we use, most colours were vegetable dies, and men especially wore a lot of different shades of brown. Blue was sharper on an expensive dress and faded on a poor persons clothes. Greens were quite popular Lincoln green being a very old colour, and red were often washed out.So all really looooooking good  :sungum: . 

I personally do not try to colour lips or eyes at this size, if there is a hat well a shadow does the job, if there is a hat two toned hair, what is in the light and what is in the shade is usually more realistic. And if the models have nice profiles turning them to catch in the camera is useful. And then if I photograph them in the evening those real shadows blend nicely. Turning the figures to match the light, and let be honest usually if you are lucky enough to have real light it only works at certain times of day so posing the figures to match is not too difficult. 

Reiterating....I like your figures. the last 4 are good, but my favourite is the man in brown who probably works outside for a living and not a soft TV couch potato and got the colour to match. I know when I look at old family photographs a lot look like gypsies (no offence intended) I am merely saying an out door life usually results in a nice golden skin tone. Bet when they went for a bath the victorians probably looked strange with suntanned hands faces necks and white everything else LOL. Posher women would avoid freckles with those big brimmed hats. My ancestors were often married to miners, and would be out polishing the door steps, before out hand washing their own clothes and sheets.

In case you thought that I had not been doing anything, the answer is, not as much as I had hoped.  My wife has been away for a few days and I thought that I would have loads of time.  Well, two whole days out of four where spent looking after grand children, although the second day was so that my son could help me rehang a couple of doors.  I have been painting figures which has been the usual slow but interesting.

First off one you have seen before.

attachicon.gifJudith.jpg

I wondered why the banding around the bottom did not go all the way round and then I looked at a late Victorian fashion web page and realised that the front panel should be a different colour from the rest.  Should I change it or leave it?  If I change it what colour do you think?  If I did I would probably go for the same pale blue as at the bottom.  Vote Now!

I have also continued with the Tweed Trial and have some fairly poor exhibits and a couple that may be ok.  The trouble is that I am having difficulty getting pictures with enough light in to show the colour properly.  Our extension has so many windows and veluxes that you could be outside and that even plus a lamp does not help.  Any ideas?

So here is what I have also been working on, the coach.

attachicon.gifRoof with Lids.jpg

Here is the first roof with 'chains' for the tops, made as 'Anotheran' suggested using 5 amp fuse wire.  It has then been sprayed with matt varnish.

attachicon.gifTwo Roofs.jpg

This is the first and the second roof together.  The first has been painted with Humbrol 125 US Dark Grey which was as close as I had to Humbrol 145 Medium Grey.  It was suggested by Bill Bedford that I use a mid grey so that is what I aimed at but did not have that colour at the time.  The second is Mid Grey.  Which do you think is best to represent the greying of the white with the smoke?

Finally I had a go at the glazing.

attachicon.gifSide PVA.jpg

This first side I have used PVA on all the windows as I wanted a method to have the droplights glazing further forward than the back of the door.

attachicon.gifSide Plastic.jpg

This side has used plastic on the main windows and PVA on the droplights.  It is no contest really but I will probably use PVA on old cottages. 

I might even finish this soon.

I would say a paler blue. Victorian often wore darker colours where they sat down, so the cloth took more wear and tear, and then a brighter colour and sometimes a finer cloth at the front. Those front were sometimes interchangeable. So the yellow edging might have a matching yellow front.

• RMweb Gold

I missed this post somehow, sorry to go backwards

I like the fact you are addressing the light and shade in the clothes, that you are testing the darkness of the skin, and you can then light them in different ways seeing how the shadows work, I think the colours you have chosen are very appropriate for the era....so basically you are on the right track, IMO.and the tone of the colours is correct, until there was the 'new' colours we use, most colours were vegetable dies, and men especially wore a lot of different shades of brown. Blue was sharper on an expensive dress and faded on a poor persons clothes. Greens were quite popular Lincoln green being a very old colour, and red were often washed out.So all really looooooking good  :sungum: . 

I personally do not try to colour lips or eyes at this size, if there is a hat well a shadow does the job, if there is a hat two toned hair, what is in the light and what is in the shade is usually more realistic. And if the models have nice profiles turning them to catch in the camera is useful. And then if I photograph them in the evening those real shadows blend nicely. Turning the figures to match the light, and let be honest usually if you are lucky enough to have real light it only works at certain times of day so posing the figures to match is not too difficult. 

Reiterating....I like your figures. the last 4 are good, but my favourite is the man in brown who probably works outside for a living and not a soft TV couch potato and got the colour to match. I know when I look at old family photographs a lot look like gypsies (no offence intended) I am merely saying an out door life usually results in a nice golden skin tone. Bet when they went for a bath the victorians probably looked strange with suntanned hands faces necks and white everything else LOL. Posher women would avoid freckles with those big brimmed hats. My ancestors were often married to miners, and would be out polishing the door steps, before out hand washing their own clothes and sheets.

Jaz,

Thank you.  I had not intended the man in brown to be an outside worker and had thought his skin colour too dark.  Perhaps he grew up in India, I will have to look up my reference material.

Our extension is east facing and so only has shadows early in the morning if the sun is bright.  The veluxes mean that it is almost as bright as outside but in the summer you get bright sunlight through them at certain times of the day but of course it is nearly vertical.

Clothing colours.  It is in my subconscious that it would have been more greys and blacks for work and fewer browns but that may have been because my dad always had a dark suit, usually blue. (!?)  I really need to look at a few more websites that are not in black and white.

I have been painting some lower class figures and have tried to get the washed out effect in a shawl.  I think one of the other ladies has recently bought a new skirt but I will have to ask her.

I am personally never very happy with figures at this scale with coloured lips and eyes, although I have seen a set of Preiser German soldiers with all the tabs painted correctly and with eyes.  Quite amazing.  I think with the A C Stadden figures the sculpting is so good as long as you paint the face lightly with a thinned flesh colour, I find flesh very thick for some reason, then I can leave the eyes and lips not painted or half painted so that they show up.  I think I really need to prime posh women in white as they would have had a pale skin.

• RMweb Gold

I would say a paler blue. Victorian often wore darker colours where they sat down, so the cloth took more wear and tear, and then a brighter colour and sometimes a finer cloth at the front. Those front were sometimes interchangeable. So the yellow edging might have a matching yellow front.

Jaz,

I was bit concerned that if a lady had a pale front piece if she dropped her dinner down it, or more likely that sticky piece of cake given to her by her friend when visiting as she was jealous of her new dress, then it would show up more than if it was a dark colour and it would be difficult to wash.  However, if they were removable.......

There is another figure who appears to have a different colour front as well.

None of them have hats though.  They all need to go and see Mr Davis the Milliner, but so far he has no trousers so is not allowed out!

Hi Chris

I think the first coach roof is the one to go with, it just looks right.

As for the panels on skirts/dresses if you remember I did one of mine with a metallic type paint (#44 in the Victorian figures thread) to try and give the impression of a more expensive material, my theory being this could be a finer, better quality than the rest as it could be lifted slightly if needed. Oo! a flash of ankle how thrilling. :mosking:  

I'll have a more thorough look later, so a few more likes on the way.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

I think the first coach roof is the one to go with, it just looks right.

As for the panels on skirts/dresses if you remember I did one of mine with a metallic type paint (#44 in the Victorian figures thread) to try and give the impression of a more expensive material, my theory being this could be a finer, better quality than the rest as it could be lifted slightly if needed. Oo! a flash of ankle how thrilling. :mosking:  

I'll have a more thorough look later, so a few more likes on the way.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the comments.  I must admit I was a little disappointed with the colour of the second one so I shall repaint and see how it goes.

I do look at your figures from time to time just to check if we both think the same about the clothing.  The lady with the front panel you mentioned I had already noticed that, phew!  It will be a bit different though.  I also notice that the lady next to her you have painted as a dress, where I have thought of her as a blouse and skirt.  A bit early and a bit chilly for early spring in 1895 but she cannot afford a coat.  (The winter of 1894/95 was particularly severe.) 

Oh yes, please do not trawl through the thread looking for that lady, she is only half painted and I have not put her up yet.

• RMweb Gold

Chris, another vote for the top roof.

Could you paint them white underneath and then smudge-on the darker grey?

Andy G

Andy,

Thanks.  I tried that with the top one first, although the smudge was black not grey and was advised an all over mid grey was better.  When I have seen pictures of roofs from that time they did seem to be all over one colour, and quite dark.  This could be due to the film not being that sensitive to the differing shades of grey.  Also, the only carriages where you see the roofs if I remember correctly have been involved in accidents.

What I need is some lead white paint and some coal smoke, or a time machine, or some links to Victorian coach roofs.  I think it was Bill Bedford who said the roofs were never cleaned either so if it had been a long dry spell they would be pretty filthy, but we are talking about Wales so they were probably spotless!  (Runs for cover.)

Jaz quite liked my white with black streaks and so did I but then changed it with advice.  I think it is one of those things that someone will always say, "It was not like that."  I might reply, "Well, that is not how I remember it."  ;)

I think the difference is not only is it darker but it is not uniform due to the varnish.  It is how to repeat it is the issue.

I am at work for a couple of days so I will not do anything until Friday so anymore thoughts are welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Humm, I think the old shed down the line still has some tins of white lead paint in it......

In the past I have just painted done a dark grey, with a darker wash in places where the dirt would lodge..

I do have a bit of fear about weathering mind, especially when you put a lot of effort into getting a really good finish, I can usually just about force myself to dry brush dirt over the underframes only!

BTW the fusewire chains look good.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Humm, I think the old shed down the line still has some tins of white lead paint in it......

In the past I have just painted done a dark grey, with a darker wash in places where the dirt would lodge..

I do have a bit of fear about weathering mind, especially when you put a lot of effort into getting a really good finish, I can usually just about force myself to dry brush dirt over the underframes only!

BTW the fusewire chains look good.

Andy G

Andy,

That was what I was intending to do as well.  The side will stay clean as it is 1895 and these are cheap and plentiful.  I could grime up the underframe I suppose. Ho hum.