Hornby K1

davidw

K4 in due course.....?

Some hope.

Hi. Here's some photo's of the K1 that arrived yesterday.

This first one shows the brass bearings:

attachicon.gif100_6324 - Copy.JPG

This one is the revised pony truck, which is a big improvement on the L1 and others:

attachicon.gif100_6325 - Copy.JPG

Here I've attempted to show the tender pick-ups:

attachicon.gif100_6328 - Copy.JPG

This photo' is showing that this side of the footplate is ever so slightly wonky:

attachicon.gif100_6331 - Copy.JPG

Finally I could not resist a photo' of the K1 on the layout:

attachicon.gif100_6334 - Copy.JPG

Hope that these photo's are of some interest...

Compare and contrast with this one from here

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

There *is* a preserved K4... It can be done in (apple) green with names. There weren't many K4s of course—but that hasn't put Hornby off before!

I second the request for a J27—it's about the only remaining NE area loco from the last years of steam still to be either done or at least announced; the others (K1, Q6, V1/3, J72, Ivatt 4MT, Austerity, plus the V2 and the Gresley and Peppercorn Pacifics, O1 and 9F; not to mention the diesels too... 03, 04, 08, 17, 24, 25, 37, 40, 46, 47, 55) have all been the subject of at least reasonable models.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

There *is* a preserved K4... It can be done in (apple) green with names. There weren't many K4s of course—but that hasn't put Hornby off before!

I second the request for a J27—it's about the only remaining NE area loco from the last years of steam still to be either done or at least announced; the others (K1, Q6, V1/3, J72, Ivatt 4MT, Austerity, plus the V2 and the Gresley and Peppercorn Pacifics, O1 and 9F; not to mention the diesels too... 03, 04, 08, 17, 24, 25, 37, 40, 46, 47, 55) have all been the subject of at least reasonable models.

Dont forget that B16, J21, G5, A5...

The North East is a region ripe for development as a lot as you say has been done, but then Ive said that for sometime too.

:offtopic:  As regards the K4, while the preserved one might boost its chances and make it popular overall, its position in wishlists has been going downwards, particularly with it then being assosiated more as a Scottish model.

Back on topic, Hornby's K1 is really looking the part, especially when compared to previous efforts for the class. For me, the conistancy of modern RTR means that it wins out, so Im looking forward to more K1s landing to go alongside the stablemate here. Question is, which ones to model. Having checked the model, I think the smokebox door is seperate so theres chance still for 2008 or 2011 with that gorgeous NER style frontage.

• RMweb Premium

The North East is a region ripe for development

It would surely make more sense for Hornby to continue with the solid GE section theme they are currently developing, rather than switch focus to a new region and perhaps squander the effort so far expended.  While the B17, Britannia, now the K1 and the forthcoming J15 and D16 are a great start, there are still very obvious gaps in the range to be addressed.  A new tooling of the venerable B12 has long been talked of and with clever use of slides it could possibly also be made to represent the original GER 1500 class, which would look magnificent in full pre-grouping livery (and of course a few of these locos were based at Gorton in LNER days to work the North Country Continental). Where too are the all the various Buckjumpers, the J17 and the J20? Or (most inexplicably of all) the Derby Heavyweight DMUs that worked down the Loop Line from Lincoln? Indeed mention of the Loop Line is a good reminder of the GN locos that also need to be considered before this range can be thought of as anything like complete.  There is much work for Hornby still to do before they can afford to be distracted by the products of Darlington.

Edited by Flying Pig

It would surely make more sense for Hornby to continue with the solid GE section theme they are currently developing, rather than switch focus to a new region and perhaps squander the effort so far expended.  While the B17, Britannia, now the K1 and the forthcoming J15 and D16 are a great start, there are still very obvious gaps in the range to be addressed.  A new tooling of the venerable B12 has long been talked of and with clever use of slides it could possibly also be made to represent the original GER 1500 class, which would look magnificent in full pre-grouping livery (and of course a few of these locos were based at Gorton in LNER days to work the North Country Continental). Where too are the all the various Buckjumpers, the J17 and the J20? Or (most inexplicably of all) the Derby Heavyweight DMUs that worked down the Loop Line from Lincoln? Indeed mention of the Loop Line is a good reminder of the GN locos that also need to be considered before this range can be thought of as anything like complete.  There is much work for Hornby still to do before they can afford to be distracted by the products of Darlington.

Or maybe you have a head start and its our turn!

Anyhow is there a fix for the wonky footplate?, I haven't had time yet to take it apart though.

My own personal opinion but why should there be a fix?

I'd be interested to hear how many of these models have undulating running plates and if Hornby are aware.

We are paying premium prices for these models. It should be right in the first place.

Porcy

• Like 1

Rails still has them in stock if my order of 30mins ago is anything to go by :senile:

I was on the phone to Rails this morning (see earlier post) and they received a delivery while I was asking how they had managed to sell the K1 I paid for on Monday to someone else. It looks like Hornby have made a second shipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if 43078Shildoncountydurham has mine.

Anyway, mine should be on the way now.

Frustrated from Durham

My own personal opinion but why should there be a fix?

I'd be interested to hear how many of these models have undulating running plates and if Hornby are aware.

We are paying premium prices for these models. It should be right in the first place.

Porcy

Same undulating running plate as the Thompson 01, which, by the way, is now a Tyne Dock 01, thanks to Dave Alexander.

Bob

I was on the phone to Rails this morning (see earlier post) and they received a delivery while I was asking how they had managed to sell the K1 I paid for on Monday to someone else. It looks like Hornby have made a second shipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if 43078Shildoncountydurham has mine.

Anyway, mine should be on the way now.

Frustrated from Durham

Hi Rbage

Ordered mine about 6pm last Friday the 12 dec, anyhow let's hope yours doesn't have this wonky footplate!

Regards

Craig

My K1 arrived this morning at 07.30!  Only ordered it late Friday night so despite all the problems that the courier services are moaning about, this looks like a result for Royal Mail / Parcel Force.

The footplate has a very slight wobble but I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned on here earlier. One thing I did have to do was to remove the body and reposition it as it had not been

properly fitted at the factory. The cab end was correctly attached but the front was high with a 2-3mm gap between the top of the cylinders and the footplate. Two screws was all it took the release the

body but it is a tight fit around the motor. A large application of the family motto (Brute force & ignorance will conquer all) was required to separate the body from the chassis and then reassemble by

getting the front end in place first and then the cab end. Retighten the screws and all is well.

Loco is running in nicely as I type and looks like a winner for Hornby. Now, any word about the D16 I ordered earlier in the year?

Jim

Mine arrived this morning, it looks like the same problem as the O1's had, so easily fixable.

Hello split definative,

Would you like to share the fix.

Maybe a blow by blow account, with photographs?

Bob

I have just taken delivery of three of these wonderful locos and all of them have the wonky footplate! I have dismantled one of them to fit a decoder so while apart I had a look at the footplate. On the side that was wonky I found the location where one of the sandboxes were fitted to be the culprit in that its locating pin and glue were pushing down on the chassis causing it to lift the footplate. Simple solution file off the excess glue and part of pin that sticks through which seems to have cured the problem.

Ian  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok folks things are about to get technical and have your sonic screwdrivers at the ready...

The wonky running plate, my solution.

Exhibit A: 

post-7000-0-83957000-1418835288_thumb.jpg

Straight edge showing how much (or less) distortion to the running plate.

Step 1.

Using the box innards, invert the loco and disconnect the tender plug and undo the screws for the body.

post-7000-0-23471100-1418835306_thumb.jpg

Step 2.

Remove the body - the first time, it requires a fair bit of force (as stated by Jim49 in a previous post), the running plate goes virtually straight on removal.

post-7000-0-53398000-1418835322_thumb.jpg

Step 3.

Clean any flashing visible on the underside of the running plate (not shown)

Then carefully remove the motor brackets to gain access to the motion bracket securing screw (radius arm - I think)

post-7000-0-32678100-1418835340_thumb.jpg

Step 4.

Undo the bolts on the on the centre driving wheel to disconnect the radius arm gubbins (nice technical term) and begin to lightly file down the bracket.

post-7000-0-35269300-1418835356_thumb.jpg

Step 5.

After a few trial re-fittings and a bit more filing it was ready fro reassembly.

post-7000-0-89104400-1418835375_thumb.jpg

Step 6.

After re-assembly, putting a straight along the running plate, shows a vast improvement (not perfect, but it will do):

post-7000-0-57394900-1418835393_thumb.jpg

All back together and awaiting detailing:

post-7000-0-10923000-1418835425_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1