Hornby K1

davidw

Hello Coachmann,

Tried to leave a comment and there was an error. Tried to reply quoting your post and was not allowed.

Have you paid your electricity bill? Try putting a shilling in the meter.

Anyway, love the Thompson comment.

In another thread on this site I've asked the question of whether the Gresley-ists are running the site because nobody ever mentions Thompson's pacifics in a wish list. 

Manufacturers take note, Gresley wasn't right about everything.

I expect to have my access revoked as a result of that comment.

Bob

Having looked at the wide price variations, it makes yer think.

Ah! No I can quote.

It won't be long before some of those Hatton's sales end up on Ebay at £200 a pop. You watch.

Hornby will do the same as the Gresley suburbans. There'll be no second run and they'll be like hen's teeth.

I hope Mr. Southworth is tuned in to this show of wholehearted support for Hornby's faultless performance.

Drop the B from your username and that just about sums up a lot of peoples feelings towards Hornby.

I would have bet long odds that they would not let things get worse after the Exeter fiasco.

They have astounded me yet again.

Southworth?

Worth nothing.

Bernard

Casting my mind back, I can't help thinking that the folk on here who are surprised/alarmed/annoyed by the way the supply and sale of new models works, haven't been around as long as I have. I recall the Hornby-Dublo Class 20 came out just before Christmas. I was lucky and I got a 2-rail one as a present. The three rail ones didn't come out till weeks later, by which time many of the 2-rail ones had gone back to Liverpool because the plating was coming off the wheels. Then there was the 'West Country'. The only way I got one of those was because the guy in the West End Post Office at Staines took one from a set and sold it to me in a brown paper bag! In those days, of course, we still had Retail Price Maintenance, so at least there wasn't a lot of disgruntlement about prices. There's nowt new in the World.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Try Hereford Model Centre. 9 in stock as of now.Locomotion Models has them.A surprise this release....by airfreight from Santa Margate in time for the season of good cheer ? If so....nice one! More please.

Make that 7 left at Hereford Model Centre now ;)

I'm not so sure that there is a repeat of the Exeter 'fiasco', which I was under the impression (i may very well be wrong) was due to the SK factory not supplying enough to Hornby, remember, they don't own said factory and are merely customers of it. As I understand things they are now using different factories and will hopefully have tighter control over production volumes.

As for not selling to 'proper' customers, when TMC have already weathered some; they as a stockist will have had to place an order with Hornby like any other retailer, they just weather their allocation before selling them on.

I have one on pre order with Rails of Sheffield, which of it is in this initial batch then great, if not then when the second batch arrives it'll hopefully be in that (presuming that there is a second batch of course, I don't want to sound like I'm on Hornby's side!) In quite content to wait longer for mine, as long as my pre order is fulfilled, I'm not in any rush. I know my bank account isn't!

We should be grateful really, a NEW 2014 catalogue item has actually arrived within said calendar year, I bet there weren't many who predicted that! I'm also glad to hear that the spec is pretty high too, hopefully those that have them will be pleased with their acquisitions, it'll just make those of us still waiting all the more appreciative when they arrive!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

Casting my mind back, I can't help thinking that the folk on here who are surprised/alarmed/annoyed by the way the supply and sale of new models works, haven't been around as long as I have. I recall the Hornby-Dublo Class 20 came out just before Christmas. I was lucky and I got a 2-rail one as a present. The three rail ones didn't come out till weeks later, by which time many of the 2-rail ones had gone back to Liverpool because the plating was coming off the wheels. Then there was the 'West Country'. The only way I got one of those was because the guy in the West End Post Office at Staines took one from a set and sold it to me in a brown paper bag! In those days, of course, we still had Retail Price Maintenance, so at least there wasn't a lot of disgruntlement about prices. There's nowt new in the World.

CHRIS LEIGH

That is a rather different matter Chris.

In those days we knew the situation.

I too had a class 4 standard tank when I was about 7. The local toy shop knew my dad wanted it for me and held the first one for him.

In the current situation people have placed orders in good faith, in some cases a long time ago and find that stock is not allocated to outlets that have pre ordered them, but are released to other outfits who then sell them at inflated prices.

It stinks Chris.

Bernard

I think people need to take a deep breath because it becoming rather sad watching them massively overreact to the slightest problem. Do we have any actual reports of a short delivery or is it just retailers selling out quickly? And is anyone really surprised about shops receiving their models on different days at this time of year? There are loads of reports in the media of couriers backed up and other major retailers experiencing delays.

And as for the complain about a TMC advertising a weathered version already....

I doubt Hornby has any knowledge of individual pre-orders. They are between you and the retailer. The retailer will place an order with Hornby for X models and Hornby will try and supply them with that number. If shops want to try and sell models at inflated models that is up to them, and Hornby can't do much about it.

Given that this was sent out to retailers at a time when couriers are ALL suffering the effects of Black Friday (and of everyone and their great aunt apparently buying more on line in one go than any of the postal services are able to cope with)- are we not expecting too much for Hornby's couriers to actually supply all of their retailers on the same day?

Having said that it sounds as if the system to communicate with said retailers that a consignment has been dispatched needs looking at (to put it mildly).

Just a thought

Les

Thinks- might exercise my bus pass early next week to see if my nearest shops have one in stock.

edited to remove some of the effects of my dyslexic fingers....

Edited by Les1952

Hattons website initially showed R3243 as more than 10 in stock but since they have still not been able to fulfill all their pre-orders (mine included) seems to indicate that they did not receive what they expected or perhaps were invoiced for. The Hornby saga continues!

• RMweb Gold

Given that this was sent out to retailers at a time when couriers are ALL suffering the effects of Black Friday (and of everyone and their great aunt apparently buying more on line in one go than any of the postal services are able to cope with)- are we not expecting too much for Hornby's couriers to actually supply all of their retailers on the same day?

Having said that it sounds as if the system to communicate with said retailers that a consignment has been dispatched needs looking at (to put it mildly).

Just a thought

Les

Thinks- might exercise my bus pass early next week to see if my nearest shops have one in stock.

edited to remove some of the effects of my dyslexic fingers....

I hope they aren't using Yodel...

Hattons website initially showed R3243 as more than 10 in stock but since they have still not been able to fulfill all their pre-orders (mine included) seems to indicate that they did not receive what they expected or perhaps were invoiced for. The Hornby saga continues!

Strange they don't even list the K1 on their site as existing at all.

Gloucester far South enough ? But that of course was WR territory.

On it's way to Cardiff I have no doubt, as one was recorded there on a fitted freight ! The only LNER locos that I know of that traversed the Avonmouth Branch were a couple of J39's on sugar-beet trains from Peterborough to the Tate & Lyle factory.

Edited by bike2steam