Hornby K1

davidw

I know people will disagree with me but I just call it greed

We have a choice. You buy the model as is, you buy the model and add coal/weathering yourself, or you pay someone to do it for you. In the latter case, you pay what that guy thinks his time is worth. Its not greed it's straightforward commercial practice. One of the long-time problems with this hobby has been a failure of many 'cottage industry'-type modellers to charge adequately for their time.

• Like 1

TMC have revised their price on Ebay to £159.99. Do you suppose it's people power?

And it's shown as £144 on their web site, which is 10% less than the eBay price as stated. I wonder what premium Hornby will charge for their weathered edition when it is released, and doubtless many here will knock the quality of the finish.

I haven't bought from TMC, but they take a risk by putting the money up front and having models on display where you can say "I want that one", rather than buy a pristine one and send it to someone for weathering. Out of interest, how much do the professionals on here charge for a weathering job like this?

Ed

• Like 1

Has anyone actually received one yet?  A photo (or two) would be appreciated.

Hopefully it will look something like this…:-)

Finally weakened and ordered one this morning.  Thanks for the tip Ian H. re Hereford Model Centre.  Managed to get the last one at £110..

I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against a kit built one.

post-6950-0-93796100-1418486904_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have no idea of hourly labour rates in the modelling industry, but in 2001 I was working for NTL (not the cable side, but the 999 radio side, ex Home Office). I was charging back then £70/hr labour rate, with a minimum of 1hr, and in 1/2 hour steps. This was for electronics/radio/comms work, so one could say skilled. At the same period in time, by observation I calculated that "lesser" (no disrespect intended) skilled jobs (eg, garages, plumbers etc) seemed to be in the £30-35 area, maybe someone could confirm.

That was nearly 15 years ago and costs have risen. Think how long a skilled modeller takes to weather a loco, or even just add coal. Do the costs I have quoted (even without inflation). Don't forget to add materials & time to unpack, repack etc. What does it come to?

Stewart

Yes - posted notification yesterday from Hattons and received this am (ordered 01 Jan 2014) - having slated Hornby a few days ago for deliveries they have taken wind out of my criticisms by delivering 3 different locos and 3 (sort of different) coaches in two weeks and all in this pre-Xmas credit card period alone (admittedly had to go hunting for one of them) - so much for budgeting well ahead. Thought there were some pictures earlier in this topic - if not could try for some tonight.

• Like 1

Well, let's see what you think...

post-15533-0-78589500-1418495565_thumb.jpg

It runs very nicely, but is my K1 the only one with a bit of a wavey running plate?

Apart from that it looks great to my untutored eye. The top headlamp is especially fine and will almost certainly get broken off at some point, and will be absolutely impossible to find again.

• Like 4

With reference thread 231,

I've been doing renaming and numbering since the 1970's way before TMC came on the market and am amazed that people will pay out so much money for what is after all a fairly easy thing to do. In answer to you question on how much would someone else charge I would charge between £10 and £15 for a weathering job depending how heavy a job you want doing. Putting coal in the tender a couple of pounds! My advice is purchase your model from wherever you normally go and then look for someone who will do the mods for you at a price you're happy with. I know from my extensive experience in this field you will save enough to nigh on buy another model.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifnewK1.jpg

It runs very nicely, but is my K1 the only one with a bit of a wavey running plate?

Apart from that it looks great to my untutored eye. The top headlamp is especially fine and will almost certainly get broken off at some point, and will be absolutely impossible to find again.

I've noticed the wavy running plate on few of them. I suspect it's down to something not being fitted correctly and forcing the very thin running plate up - very similar to the issue that has afflicted the O1 amongst others.

Should be fairly easy to fix though.

The one on the TMC web site appears to have the wavy running plate too.

I do have a concern with warranties. If I buy a pristine one and then either weather it myself or pay someone to do it, and it then goes wrong I suspect it will not be fixed under warranty as it has been modified. If I buy it from somewhere like TMC (other model shops are available) then under the Sale of Goods Act they are liable.

I now only buy Manufacturer's weathered editions and then after a year I add some more dirt!

Ed

• RMweb Gold

How I agree with that . Although I've done a few myself here's one of my engines professionally done by RMweb member Mattingley Custom for quite a lot less than TMC and better too.

post-126-0-95005700-1418496384_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry guys, but there is a world of difference between a large company such as TMC and a 'small' trader.  Your overheads are significantly lower and as such your pricing will always be lower.  Once you factor in all the overheads such as retail premises, web sites, staff etc a few pounds can easily become ten.  It's up to us as buyers to decide who can provide the best quality/delivery/price return and order accordingly.

I have no problem with the pricing quoted by TMC.  Whether or not I would pay those is another question altogether…:-)

I have no idea of hourly labour rates in the modelling industry, but in 2001 I was working for NTL (not the cable side, but the 999 radio side, ex Home Office). I was charging back then £70/hr labour rate, with a minimum of 1hr, and in 1/2 hour steps. This was for electronics/radio/comms work, so one could say skilled. At the same period in time, by observation I calculated that "lesser" (no disrespect intended) skilled jobs (eg, garages, plumbers etc) seemed to be in the £30-35 area, maybe someone could confirm.

That was nearly 15 years ago and costs have risen. Think how long a skilled modeller takes to weather a loco, or even just add coal. Do the costs I have quoted (even without inflation). Don't forget to add materials & time to unpack, repack etc. What does it come to?

Stewart

Bear in mind also that, as any solicitor, bank manager (old style!), accountant, medical consultant etc. etc. will tell you ... you aren't just paying for their time; you're paying for their years of professsional experience that enables them to know that the right thing to do to meet your specific need is X, not Y or Z.  How many of us have made a mess - or at least a poor job - of our own first efforts through wanting, or needing, to DIY.  Yes,of course it's the only way to learn - but it can be an expensive learning curve sometimes ... so if you want to be sure ...

• RMweb Gold

If the trader has a waiting list he must be doing something right price wise and quality. If they are still on the shelf maybe not.

Gordons right about overheads as TMC advertise comprehensively every month and have retail premises.

As Willie Whizz rightly points out, people are paying for expertise, as one does not experiment on customers models! I always painted locos to ex works or oily-rag finish. After that it was up to the customer to go where he could get it weathered. The reason I wouldn't do it was simple............Weathering is in the eye of the beholder. I could do it and the customer might say he wanted a few more runs from the washout plugs and a little more rust at the bottom of the door etc etc etc. Just as bad was if he considered there was too much 'weathering'. Once you have to go back to a job it becomes a financial loss!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I don't think you're alone.

The larger ebay views linked to earlier in the thread for the TMC weathered K1 shows the running plate on their example is also all at sea.

Porcy

sorry initially pressed wrong (report) button

Herewith first pass at some photos - apologies for quality still coming to grips with technology

Shows amongst other things that loco arrives already coupled to tender (using white plug of yore)

Cab dials /controls appear painted - bit difficult to get in and look at detail

The various maker plates appear almost readable(my mag glass was not powerful enough to read all detail - but you can certainly read mfr date -1949 on front frame)

Front lamp irons are the tall type

Sandpipes look v fine and in some cases are behind wheels -

Currently runs a bit stiffly - it didn't actually need a shove because it starts on just over 2 volts and once running goes quite smoothly but at slow speed is currently happier on 1/2 wave rectification - probably just needs a good run in.

No chance as yet for haulage test - need to restore missing bits of circuit to do that (wasn't expecting it to appear until Marchpost-15386-0-36832500-1418499110_thumb.jpgpost-15386-0-40975700-1418499115_thumb.jpgpost-15386-0-72252800-1418499120_thumb.jpgpost-15386-0-74486600-1418499126_thumb.jpgpost-15386-0-92669100-1418499128_thumb.jpg !!)

• Like 3

attachicon.gifnewK1.jpg

think you might have slightly marred my pleasure..... :no: . mine also has a v slight wave...(more a shy acknowledgement!)  over the motion bracket when I put a ruler on it. Provided it doesn't get worse over time I can live with it - it is nowhere as obvious as yours

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I've got my K1 from Kernow Models, and I'm pleased to confirm that the K1 has brass bearings on the driving wheel-sets. I've had the body off, and the motor is, as I think has been stated earlier, a three pole one, but with a small fly-wheel at one end. There will be some photo's of the bearings, etc., tomorrow.

All the best,

Market65.

No affiliation apart from the fact I've just bought one, but Monk Bar model shop in York have just shy of a dozen 62024's. Mine's gone away for some weird event called a birthday, but from the test running at the shop, I observed it ran smoothly in both directions, with no hint of slop in the valve gear whatsoever. Detailing (especially inside the cab) is exquisite, love the touch of an etched regulator which really does stand out. The only thing the model cries for is a bit of paint on the tyres and an etched number plate. In terms of model quality, a superb return to form from Hornby and a massive improvement over the 'Star'. My only gripe is that I wish the thing hadn't arrived slap bang before Christmas when you're pretty much skint from buying presents.