Hornby K1

davidw

• RMweb Premium

No affiliation apart from the fact I've just bought one, but Monk Bar model shop in York have just shy of a dozen 62024's. Mine's gone away for some weird event called a birthday, but from the test running at the shop, I observed it ran smoothly in both directions, with no hint of slop in the valve gear whatsoever. Detailing (especially inside the cab) is exquisite, love the touch of an etched regulator which really does stand out. The only thing the model cries for is a bit of paint on the tyres and an etched number plate. In terms of model quality, a superb return to form from Hornby and a massive improvement over the 'Star'. My only gripe is that I wish the thing hadn't arrived slap bang before Christmas when you're pretty much skint from buying presents.

That's great to hear. Fantastic return to form indeed.

Looking at the service sheet I wonder if their is, in some models, a bit of flash in the slots that the motion bracket / support brackets fit into causing them not to sit down properly and hence push up what must be a relatively flimsy running plate. How solid do the small parts seem as in the past Hornbys very detailed models have been very fragile in comparison with Bachmann equivalents.

Edited by Butler Henderson

I dont think there is anything like that which is stopping the bracket. Its just that the running board seems to be rather thin or lightweight. Of course others could find more but I havent taken mine apart yet.

For those that are liking the attention to detail and the obvious conversion many will be looking for - the current model is good for a renumbering to 62005 if you want it as it ran in the last years of steam. The boiler band across the top, known for by engines built by North British is not there on the current engine, which I would think is just due to that plate on the boiler casing having been replaced. All other aspects for it are fine, although you will need to add warning flashes to the boiler too in the right place, as well as the renumber. Personally, given K1 62005 is my favourite engine ever built I can live with it as it stands are renumber if should a more accurate version ever be produced. The other machine Im looking for is a K1 known for running with the NER Darlington style smokebox door, a la 62008, 62011. Surprising just how a door changes the character of the class.

Hope thats a help.

• RMweb Premium

I dont think there is anything like that which is stopping the bracket. Its just that the running board seems to be rather thin or lightweight. Of course others could find more but I havent taken mine apart yet.

For those that are liking the attention to detail and the obvious conversion many will be looking for - the current model is good for a renumbering to 62005 if you want it as it ran in the last years of steam. The boiler band across the top, known for by engines built by North British is not there on the current engine, which I would think is just due to that plate on the boiler casing having been replaced. All other aspects for it are fine, although you will need to add warning flashes to the boiler too in the right place, as well as the renumber. Personally, given K1 62005 is my favourite engine ever built I can live with it as it stands are renumber if should a more accurate version ever be produced. The other machine Im looking for is a K1 known for running with the NER Darlington style smokebox door, a la 62008, 62011. Surprising just how a door changes the character of the class.

Hope thats a help.

Of the samples displayed at Warley, one had the raised plate on the firebox and the other didn't; unfortunately I can't remember which was which but there may be images of both knocking about somewhere which show this (this variation has also been modelled on the L1s), and the early crest sample had the rear tender coal plate in the original rearwards position, whereas the late crest specimen had it in the later forward position.  All the K1s were built by North British; according to the RCTS Green Book these raised plates (which covered a strengthening patch due to the design of the stays) were later usually absent.

Of the samples displayed at Warley, one had the raised plate on the firebox and the other didn't; unfortunately I can't remember which was which but there may be images of both knocking about somewhere which show this (this variation has also been modelled on the L1s), and the early crest sample had the rear tender coal plate in the original rearwards position, whereas the late crest specimen had it in the later forward position.  All the K1s were built by North British; according to the RCTS Green Book these raised plates (which covered a strengthening patch due to the design of the stays) were later usually absent.

Anyone else able to confirm if they done both kinds, or have more information on this?

TIA

Anyone else able to confirm if they done both kinds, or have more information on this?

TIA

Nope.

But I do see that the first release has AWS fittings.

I presume this will not be the case with the other models.

I do find it frustrating that Hornby are reluctant to tell us what we are going to get.

Particularly when ordering in advance is almost de rigour these days.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here's some photo's of the K1 that arrived yesterday.

This first one shows the brass bearings:

post-22631-0-15796300-1418591860_thumb.jpg

This one is the revised pony truck, which is a big improvement on the L1 and others:

post-22631-0-09178100-1418591981_thumb.jpg

Here I've attempted to show the tender pick-ups:

post-22631-0-35886700-1418592067_thumb.jpg

This photo' is showing that this side of the footplate is ever so slightly wonky:

post-22631-0-30016400-1418592165_thumb.jpg

Finally I could not resist a photo' of the K1 on the layout:

post-22631-0-24998600-1418592243_thumb.jpg

Hope that these photo's are of some interest.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures Market65; they give me a good idea of what to expect when my early crest loco (for the benefit of East Anglian running number!) arrives in due course.  The footplate, as you say, is ever so slightly wonky but judging from your picture, in my view not enough to worry bout - I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.  I do like the 'going away' shot!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, 31A. Glad to have been of help to you, and hope that your K1 will be a good one. I'm not that worried about the footplate either, it would appear that some might be worse than others! However, it is a return to form for Hornby - especially those lovely brass bearings. And I must add that it runs very sweetly as well.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

Hornby K1 still available at Rails of Sheffield for £113.95.

Just cancelled my per-order with Hattons (£121) which they did not satisfy from the delivery, last week, and ordered from Sheffield with a £7 saving.

Let's see how it compares to a David Bradwell kit built K1.

Happy Christmas.

Bob

Had it been a stand alone release I would have bought one and sent the wife out begging.  But with the D16/3 due out and maybe some Bachmann stuff, we pensioners have to watch our pennies...... :mosking:

It's worth thinking about though. Especially if the wife doesn't mind.

Wife? K1? Wife? K1?

Hmmmm!

My Christmas present from SHMBO is enroute from Sheffield as I type but the conversation I have with her when it arrives will need careful preparation before I open my big mouth  :jester:

Seriously, this release caught me by surprise - wasn't expecting the K1 until well into the new year.  As a north east engine, I just had to have it.

Regards,

Brian.

I am also trying to avoid having too many locos for the size of my layout, and real history actually provided a reason for not buying!  Early K1's were sent to Gorton near Manchester, probably to eliminate GCR freight 4-6-0's, but were not up to climbing over the Pennines with the freight loads of the time.

Edited by coachmann

I am also trying to avoid having too many locos for the size of my layout, and real history actually provided a reason for not buying!  Early K1's were sent to Gorton near Manchester, probably to eliminate GCR freight 4-6-0's, but were not up to climbing over the Pennines with the freight loads of the time.

You need a Q6 then....

You need a Q6 then....

Rather belatedly, the K1 and B1 were designed to rid the LNER/Eastern Region of many pre-group classes and reduce the number of standard classes. Remember Gresley had failed to keep up with the LMS before the war (which had ridded itself of many medium to large pre-group locos) and provide the LNER with modern engines that would survive minimum-maintenance that anyone could fire and do the job on poor coal. Gorton got K3's and more 04's as replacement for the K1's.

Edited by coachmann

To be fair to Gresley he had almost as many new locos cancelled due to the LNER not having the money to build them as he was able to have built in the later years.  The O2 was a case in point with less than half of the planned locos actually built.  Perhaps some of the O2s that were cancelled would have been used to replace GCR freight 4-6-0s.

Looking at the streamliners, the first year of the Silver Jubilee gave a cost to income ratio of 18%- i.e the costs were only 18% of the money generated- or 550% operating profit- hence they money for A4s etc was very easy to find.

Just a thought.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Rather belatedly, the K1 and B1 were designed to rid the LNER/Eastern Region of many pre-group classes and reduce the number of standard classes. Remember Gresley had failed to keep up with the LMS before the war (which had ridded itself of many medium to large pre-group locos) and provide the LNER with modern engines that would survive minimum-maintenance that anyone could fire and do the job on poor coal. Gorton got K3's and more 04's as replacement for the K1's.

That might be the case but you still need a Q6. Even if rare, the Q6 is a mighty pregrouping machine engine and one of them being a proper engine alongside some Manchester stuff would look great! You don't have to tell me bout Gresley Im far more interested in a J21 or B16. The K1 might have been medium on paper, but in reality they are really strong.

Obviously Gorton couldnt get the maximum out of them and needed something more powerful, allowing them to be based up north where we use em propper. :P  

As I was on the phone to a shop in Sheffield, minutes ago, to find out how they had managed to sell my K1 to someone else, a new delivery had arrived while I was on the phone.

Looks like there are more models in the pipeline and are likely to be in the shops today.

Bob

At 120 locos I wouldn't call the Q6 rare (and have two of DJMs on order)

I'd certainly go for the B16 and J21, and add in a G5 for good measure.

IF Hornby are to go into N gauge can they shrink the K1 first please?

Les

Twas thinking rare for Gorton, Manchester.... but theres been reports some made it over.

I reckon B16 and J21 would be sure sellers to follow K1 and Q6...

Edited by The Black Hat

Twas thinking rare for Gorton, Manchester.... but theres been reports some made it over.

I reckon B16 and J21 would be sure sellers to follow K1 and Q6...

Steady on. I was hoping that someone would be convinced to do a J27 first.