Hornby K1

davidw

You've certainly got a reasonable ground for complaint, the loco in the box, doesn't look like the picture of the loco on the box.

Hornby still haven't replied apart from an auto Email response on 28 Feb saying they were busy and hoped to reply in 5 days. I wrote to them on 27 Feb.

I am not disposed to chase them with continual Emails as I had to do with a weathered A3 which was poorly-made, and was eventually replaced.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, is there a step by step fix for the running plate? I really don't want to send mine back and risk not getting a replacement. Agree with others, ridiculous you need to fix it in the first instance!

Yes somewhere in this thread!

Just today received a reply from Hornby regarding a refund for my weathered K1,  just over two weeks, and offering to organise sending it back to them ;

>>

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding to you.

Please can you confirm this has been resolved, if not I will supply you with the details you will require in order to send that back to us.

Kind Regards,

<<

I have chosen to keep the model and repaint the weathering, and thanked them.

Thanks, I have put before-and-after pics in the Lunester Lounge in the Settle and Carlisle section.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-343&do=findComment&comment=1818426

There is much wisdom in treating factory weathering as a start, at best, as suggested by several here in this thread. I hope the weathered D16 and other new weathered models will not be quite so orange as the K1 is, although in some light it might be described as dirty brown.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks, I have put before-and-after pics in the Lunester Lounge in the Settle and Carlisle section.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-343&do=findComment&comment=1818426

There is much wisdom in treating factory weathering as a start, at best, as suggested by several here in this thread. I hope the weathered D16 and other new weathered models will not be quite so orange as the K1 is, although in some light it might be described as dirty brown.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

I can sympathise  with you, the first Hornby K1 I purchased the cab was at an angle of about 85 degrees to the running plate instead of 90 and looked awful, lucky for me my local supplier had a new batch coming in so it was replaced with no problems.

I enclose a photoshopped picture taken a few months ago.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-43647800-1426409946_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had my K1 re-weathered by TMC (after being warned about the yellow factory weathering) and sound chipped. I said I was going to boycott Hornby for 12 months. But I have never been so pleased with a loco - it runs superbly. Now all I have to do is find a Jacobite headboard for it - no luck so far - any suggestions!

I had my K1 re-weathered by TMC (after being warned about the yellow factory weathering) and sound chipped. I said I was going to boycott Hornby for 12 months. But I have never been so pleased with a loco - it runs superbly. Now all I have to do is find a Jacobite headboard for it - no luck so far - any suggestions!

247developments:

http://www.247developments.co.uk/headboards.htmltoward the bottom of the page....

• 2 weeks later...

I want to renumber my sort of weathered 62059 to a Frodingham or Doncaster loco.  Being on the lazy side I was trying to find someone who made the complete number decal like model masters renumbering decals, but have come up a complete blank on both cab side numbers and smoke box numbers.  Does anyone know if said decals are available or do i have to do it the hard way.  

• RMweb Gold

I want to renumber my sort of weathered 62059 to a Frodingham or Doncaster loco.  Being on the lazy side I was trying to find someone who made the complete number decal like model masters renumbering decals, but have come up a complete blank on both cab side numbers and smoke box numbers.  Does anyone know if said decals are available or do i have to do it the hard way.  

Try Fox Transfers for Smokebox Numbers (FRH4099/059)

Don't waste your money on the 4mm smokebox sets. You'll be better with Fox's 2mm scale cabside numbers. I find in practice that these are pretty much spot on for correctly-sized 4mm smokebox numbers. Not sure why Fox have never addressed this. Admittedly they do, pre-made smokebox numbers for entire classes but is this a justified purchase when all you need is two locos.

Dave.

247developments:

http://www.247developments.co.uk/headboards.htmltoward the bottom of the page....

Got my Jacobite headboards, and a few other bits from 247 developments. The K1 plus maroon coaches can now do  guest appearances (along with Tamworth Castle and Mallard) on my southern region themed layout. And I can think back to my Scottish holiday as I look on.

Thanks davidw for the info.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the K1.

I've been trying out a few locos on an oval of radius 1 (yes, RADIUS ONE) setrack as part of deciding whether or not I can get a decent roundy-roundy in a 2'6" wide board.   Overall result is that I can't.

However, the K1 found the R1 curve no problem at all (as did the L1).  Silky smooth, no grinding at all.

Shame too many others didn't like the curve to make the project not viable.  Back to N-gauge for the next layout after NO PLACE, then.

Les

Just a quick update on the K1.

I've been trying out a few locos on an oval of radius 1 (yes, RADIUS ONE) setrack as part of deciding whether or not I can get a decent roundy-roundy in a 2'6" wide board.   Overall result is that I can't.

However, the K1 found the R1 curve no problem at all (as did the L1).  Silky smooth, no grinding at all.

Shame too many others didn't like the curve to make the project not viable.  Back to N-gauge for the next layout after NO PLACE, then.

Les

Interesting that your K1 does R1 as mine hates R2.

Don't see the point of R1 as nowadays the instructions always say R2 or more. In my opinion the easiest thing to do would be to scrap R1 and just make R2 the new R1!

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that your K1 does R1 as mine hates R2.

Don't see the point of R1 as nowadays the instructions always say R2 or more. In my opinion the easiest thing to do would be to scrap R1 and just make R2 the new R1!

And then introduce a new R5 curve!

• Like 1

From the point of view of getting trains round corners without grinding I'd tend to agree with you.

From the point of view of trying to build a layout in OO it is the only radius that would have been available.

Les

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all. I am not an LNER man. GWR is my forte, but I am in need of a K1 for my West Highland/ Hogwarts layout and was wondering if any of the K1's so far released by Hornby are basically suitable for renumbering to 62005?

Hi all. I am not an LNER man. GWR is my forte, but I am in need of a K1 for my West Highland/ Hogwarts layout and was wondering if any of the K1's so far released by Hornby are basically suitable for renumbering to 62005?

Might help to start reading here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82160-Hornby-k1/page-15&do=findComment&comment=1708709

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...