Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Thought I'd do a trial fitting of the island platform canopy which shows why the valances needed to be corrected - the difference is quite marked!

attachicon.gifPlatform canopy fitting 1.jpg

attachicon.gifPlatform canopy fitting 2.jpg

attachicon.gifPlatform canopy fitting 3.jpg

I'll need to call in the painters to cover all the stark white finish - and make a start on the other canopy..............

lovely work realy prototypical quick question is the mural on the southbound platform for the decleration of Arbroath going to modeled or is it outside the time scale of your layout 

lovely work realy prototypical quick question is the mural on the southbound platform for the decleration of Arbroath going to modeled or is it outside the time scale of your layout 

The mural is a very recent addition and will not be modelled.

It's in a rather trendy/modern style which is at home in the 21st century, but would not have been seen as acceptable "in the old days."

The 1320 Declaration is a great publicity tool for Arbroath but it is only in more recent years that positive moves have been made to use it as an encouragement to come to Arbroath. There is also a fine statue at the entrance to the town at the foot of Infirmary Brae depicting the celebration of the Declaration's signing.

The mural is a very recent addition and will not be modelled.

It's in a rather trendy/modern style which is at home in the 21st century, but would not have been seen as acceptable "in the old days."

The 1320 Declaration is a great publicity tool for Arbroath but it is only in more recent years that positive moves have been made to use it as an encouragement to come to Arbroath. There is also a fine statue at the entrance to the town at the foot of Infirmary Brae depicting the celebration of the Declaration's signing.

agreed it is a very fine statue tho think its in the wrong place might be better near the visitor center lot more footfall there

The area of wall in question at Arbroath was always used as a place to show travel posters, and I've unashamedly added a poster extolling the virtues of St Andrews as a golf resort, (despite being a non-golfer!).

The pic was taken a couple of years ago when the main station waiting rooms, etc., were still unfinished, but now they're more difficult to photograph unless you get a miniature camera down on to the platform itself........

The wall is just beside the entrance to the former Gents toilets.

post-21954-0-94254400-1465849219_thumb.jpg

I really must get some enthusiasm going and finish off the replacement canopy valances!

• Like 2

The area of wall in question at Arbroath was always used as a place to show travel posters, and I've unashamedly added a poster extolling the virtues of St Andrews as a golf resort, (despite being a non-golfer!).

The pic was taken a couple of years ago when the main station waiting rooms, etc., were still unfinished, but now they're more difficult to photograph unless you get a miniature camera down on to the platform itself........

The wall is just beside the entrance to the former Gents toilets.

attachicon.gifSt A Golf poster at Arbroath.jpg

I really must get some enthusiasm going and finish off the replacement canopy valances!

wouldnt the more local carnustie have been more appropriate ?

wouldnt the more local carnustie have been more appropriate ?

Truth is I didn't have a Carnoustie poster, but the St Andrews one seemed appropriate, given that in pre-Tay Road Bridge days, St Andrews was a fair trek away, and of course at that time still had its railway!

It's a very wet day today in St Andrews, and I've finally got round to painting the platform canopy valancing and returning the canopy to its rightful position.  The difference is remarkable and I'm delighted how the York Modelmaking etches turned out.

post-21954-0-15677300-1465922979_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-18176700-1465923006_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-74447200-1465923026_thumb.jpg

Now I really must do the other canopy!

• Like 9

Truth is I didn't have a Carnoustie poster, but the St Andrews one seemed appropriate, given that in pre-Tay Road Bridge days, St Andrews was a fair trek away, and of course at that time still had its railway!

I don't think back in the 50 - 60's, Carnoustie was that much of a course to be worthy of a Railway Poster.

It was on a par (Oh, a subtle pun!) with Arbroath and Montrose Golf Clubs,

... at least according to my late father and his brothers, who played all the golf courses around Angus - and I caddied back in the 50's (pocket money).

Edited by Penlan

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to assembling and fitting and painting the valances for the Up platform canopy tonight - they seem to look a bit more correct and complete now....

post-21954-0-46282300-1471031539_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-57032700-1471031566_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-46658900-1471031593_thumb.jpg

Should give some impetus to get on with tidying details up a bit, and then doing a bit more to the background buildings on the other side of Keptie Street.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-14351-0-59399900-1472795914_thumb.jpg

Hi Les

Maybe I shouldn't post this one, which was on a facebook thread, but it may be the shot you had in mind.

attachicon.gifCR meets NBR at Arbroath2.jpg

Hope I don't get hung, drawn and quartered!

Ken

I have the negative of this photo. It was in my father's collection. He took it on 25.8.1952, while on holiday with me and the rest of the family, at Monifieth. I am very happy for you to enjoy the shot - one of his best I think, at least from the content, if not the photographic quality. I shall put it in the text. I am not sure how it got into Facebook. It was on Flickr for a while, until I transferred all my photos to the French photo-sharing site ipernity, where they look a lot better displayed. 

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

hi Ken, they didn't look half bad before but they look great now. Finally got my 439 kit from Telford on Saturday. Now all I have to do is build it! I've actually got some temporary movement on Arbroath shed as I've part wired a couple of roads. Nice to see the old 'visiting' Crab moving backwards and forwards ( not sideways, fortunately, ha, ha). Have you been hibernating like me?

That was nice of Phil to comment on the photo you sent me.

Cheers Les

hi Ken, they didn't look half bad before but they look great now. Finally got my 439 kit from Telford on Saturday. Now all I have to do is build it! I've actually got some temporary movement on Arbroath shed as I've part wired a couple of roads. Nice to see the old 'visiting' Crab moving backwards and forwards ( not sideways, fortunately, ha, ha). Have you been hibernating like me?

That was nice of Phil to comment on the photo you sent me.

Cheers Les

Hi Les

Not totally hibernating, but not very active on the modelling front.

I'm just finishing a pretty simple model of the garage/workshop on Dishlandtown Street which will fill another space behind the cutting towards Dundee.

Pics to follow in the next couple of days, hopefully.

I was at Bo'ness with the Angus Railway Group on Tuesday, and stood beside the dismantled fames, etc., of CR419 which is getting a thorough overhaul - nice to get up close and personal!

Kind regards

Ken

New garage building pretty well complete and planted on the layout - another space filled - but to be bedded in....

post-21954-0-96060200-1473447592_thumb.jpg

Just about to move off the workbench.

post-21954-0-62053300-1473447618_thumb.jpg

View from south west.

post-21954-0-80961800-1473447638_thumb.jpg

View from north west.

Don't ask about the "front" doors - they don't exist!

First use of downloaded Scalescenes old corrugated iron roofing and old brickwork - quite good, I think.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Nice garage Ken. You'll soon have to find a real place that size for your layout! Can I pick your brains please? What is the orientation of the coupling rods on the 439? Looking at it side on with front to the left, if rods are at 12 o'clock , what time is it on the other side?

Cheers Les ( hope you are well)

....What is the orientation of the coupling rods on the 439? Looking at it side on with front to the left, if rods are at 12 o'clock ,

...... what time is it on the other side?

TIC - Past your bedtime  :nono: 

I believe they are 3 o'clock - if you where to go round the other side and look, or 9 o'clock looking through from this side.

Looking at this photograph there appears to be nothing on the front wheel on the other side to indicate a boss for the Coupling rod, therefore I'm assuming it's leading the visible rod, thus in your view, they are at about 5 mins to the hour.

Thus right hand side is ahead of the left hand side when in cab looking to the front.

That's a whole load of lefts & rights to get your head round..

Photo from the Scottish Railway Preservation Society - http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10006.htm

post-6979-0-33811500-1475774406.jpg

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Normal practice was to have the right hand side crank leading the left hand side by 90 degrees when running forwards. There's always an exception, in this case LNWR, but it's fairly safe bet the Caley followed the convention.

Normal practice was to have the right hand side crank leading the left hand side by 90 degrees when running forwards. There's always an exception, in this case LNWR, but it's fairly safe bet the Caley followed the convention.

I sincerely hope they did, because mine are at 90 degrees, right side leading!

Haven't been entirely idle over the past weeks, but have been again slowed down by having to take the dreaded antibiotics, and enduring a week in the soul-destroying Ninewells Hosp., but thankfully have since regained freedom, and am working on a 1952 built block of flats on the embankment at the south end of the station.

I'm using an old Bilteezi sheet as a template, but as usual, I'm having to adapt the building size, shape and layout to realistically fit the space available.

Pics to follow soon, hopefully.

thanks Ken , I do have the brass kit to fall back on! Ha,ha. My good wife has just bought me the C16 kit for my upcoming 'major' milestone! Now I have two kits to mess up with solder!

Thanks also to all who gave me advice on quartering wheels

Cheers Les

Heading off with the caravan tomorrow, but taking the, (double thickness), card walls for the block of flats for Dishlandtown Street with me - there are over 100 window and door apertures to be cut out, so plenty to keep me occupied if it rains.........

At least the back wall can be left blank!