Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

hi Ken, wonder if you can help? What are the bulb like things under front and rear buffer beams on 439 on page 64 of 'Two decades of Scottish steam''? Also upside down T shape 'lever' between trailing wheels?

Do you have any idea?

Les

Ps. What are you building flats out of?

hi Ken, wonder if you can help? What are the bulb like things under front and rear buffer beams on 439 on page 64 of 'Two decades of Scottish steam''? Also upside down T shape 'lever' between trailing wheels?

Do you have any idea?

Les

Ps. What are you building flats out of?

Hi Les

The bulb-like things could well be clack valves, but then I could be horribly wrong - others who know will correct me!

The T shaped lever might be an aid for emptying the grate, but then again, I could be horribly wrong.......

One thing I do know for certain is that my block of flats is using card from analysis pads backing card which we used to go through like there was no tomorrow in the CA office where I worked - I never throw anything out if it could have a modelling use!

Now we wait for the real answers re the 439........

Ken

Hi Les

The bulb-like things could well be clack valves, but then I could be horribly wrong - others who know will correct me!

The T shaped lever might be an aid for emptying the grate, but then again, I could be horribly wrong.......

One thing I do know for certain is that my block of flats is using card from analysis pads backing card which we used to go through like there was no tomorrow in the CA office where I worked - I never throw anything out if it could have a modelling use!

Now we wait for the real answers re the 439........

Ken

Having dug out my copy of the book, my second theory is that they could be pressure relief valves to do with the air brake, and the lever could well be a damper to add extra draught to the fire grate.

Correct answers on a postcard please! 

thanks so much for that Ken. It's not like you can see them particularly but I'll create something. I've just botched up my paint job by trying to varnish over some transfers. Hopefully I can retrieve situation. Some Modelu figures received. Excellent, though how people paint them in 4mm!

Les

Hi Ken , few more pipes and transfers, and a driver! Needs vac pipes etc and some weathering to disguise my botch up!

Sorry to keep hijacking your thread, must do something about that!

Cheers Lsattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It's actually up to me to post more on the thread, but my impetus is a bit stunted at the moment - too much focus on the chest challenges, but hopefully that'll soon ease.......... 

• 4 weeks later...

hi Ken, hope everything is OK health wise? Sorry to bother you if not. Just finished(nearly) the second 439. Both just static models at the minute. Might motorise the brass one at some stage in the future! Need to sort out the crankpin heads binding on the brass frame bushes!

Hope you get your mojo back soon

Best wishes

Lespost-24654-0-78007100-1479666492_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Les Johnson

hi Ken, hope everything is OK health wise? Sorry to bother you if not. Just finished(nearly) the second 439. Both just static models at the minute. Might motorise the brass one at some stage in the future! Need to sort out the crankpin heads binding on the brass frame bushes!

Hope you get your mojo back soon

Best wishes

Lesattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Les

Been under the medics again, unfortunately, but now improving again - may get some more work done on the flats before next week, when we're off to Lincoln - seeing sister in law and visiting the Christmas Market.

One step forward...............

Kind regards

Ken

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi Ken , hope all is well. Meant to post yesterday, but have a Merry Xmas and a great New Year.

All the best Les

Thanks Les

All the best to you and yours for a healthy and productive 2017.

Been working on the block of flats over the last few days after a long hiatus of feeling under the weather and the attention of nurses, etc. - and Christmas and its preparations were of course significant............

Should have something worth photographing in a week or so, or have I said that before????

Kind regards

Ken

Haven't done much more on the block of flats, but took these pics this afternoon as a reminder that there is still a layout "up there" in the loft..........

Type 2, (class 27), leaving the toonie for the North with a local passenger train.

post-21954-0-25705100-1484079156_thumb.jpg

A2 A H Peppercorn waits for the off under the Keptie Street overbridge.

post-21954-0-94383900-1484079180_thumb.jpg

Hope U like.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

looking good Ken. Especially like the A2 under the bridge. Hope you're feeling a lot better and not too many more visits to Nine Wells?

Thought I'd update you on state of play on my C16 (if I can print it off that is). Just really needs buffers and buffer pipe works and lamp irons/brackets. Oh and coupling rods and transfers. It's going to be 7491. I have a pic of it at Dundee , posing beneath the Queens Hotel. What colour would buffer housings be...........red?

Anyway here's two pics. Hope the come out right way up if at all, ha,ha.post-24654-0-00230700-1485117883_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Les Johnson

looking good Ken. Especially like the A2 under the bridge. Hope you're feeling a lot better and not too many more visits to Nine Wells?

Thought I'd update you on state of play on my C16 (if I can print it off that is). Just really needs buffers and buffer pipe works and lamp irons/brackets. Oh and coupling rods and transfers. It's going to be 7491. I have a pic of it at Dundee , posing beneath the Queens Hotel. What colour would buffer housings be...........red?

Anyway here's two pics. Hope the come out right way up if at all, ha,ha.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ken, would only allow me one photo and its sideways. I don't know how to fix it, sorry.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ken

Oh wow! Only just come across your layout tonight but what a superb job your doing with it. Only been through a couple of times, and then courtesy of an east coast HST, but from pictures I've seen it's instantly recognisable. Looks great and I love the signal boxes!

Superb work, can't wait to see more!

Rich

There you go.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Les

Your C16 looks great - buffer shanks are red for BR and LNER, but look black in NB livery - all you have to do are the "finishing" touches!

Very unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away two weeks ago today, and the funeral was last Thursday, so with all the admin., family visits, etc., modelling has had no place in the greater scheme of things, but hopefully we'll get back on track this week.

My own health is not too bad and I'm trying to avoid colds,flu, etc., so that nothing gets the chance to get worse.....

Hope you're still progressing well.

The block of flats is again on the priority list.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

Oh wow! Only just come across your layout tonight but what a superb job your doing with it. Only been through a couple of times, and then courtesy of an east coast HST, but from pictures I've seen it's instantly recognisable. Looks great and I love the signal boxes!

Superb work, can't wait to see more!

Rich

Hi Rich - Many thanks!  We all do our own "thing" to the best of our abilities, but I do like to think I've caught the atmosphere of the old place quite well.

Regards

Ken

There you go.

Thanks so much, Richard. How DO you do that? I did try the edit button but still couldn't get it to rotate. Still loving your 'magnum opus'.

sorry for hijacking your thread ,Ken, and to hear about your in laws. Make sure you look after your own health.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, I've tried and tried on my iPad to get this image the correct way up but whether I choose the correct way up image or the upside down one it still appears on here upside down!

Hope you can invert it your end? Nearly finished now apart from cab interior and coal load!

Now I've pressed attach this file it has corrected itself!post-24654-0-39752700-1486411869.jpeg

Les

Ps. Hope all is well in the kingdom!

Ken, I've tried and tried on my iPad to get this image the correct way up but whether I choose the correct way up image or the upside down one it still appears on here upside down!

Hope you can invert it your end? Nearly finished now apart from cab interior and coal load!

Now I've pressed attach this file it has corrected itself!attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Les

Ps. Hope all is well in the kingdom!

Hi Les

You're not on vacation in Australia are you?

post-21954-0-65855600-1486415817.jpeg

Fife very stormy tonight but we'll survive.....

Kind regards

Ken