Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Apart from the word 'Arbroath' in a couple of posts > #56 & #60 in the topic at  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40212-harbour-branches/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2276895

this posting doesn't relate to this one at all, however, it is Arbroath, and I hadn't realised how extensive the network was down by the Harbour....

The source of the 2 photo's is theshoppie.com, but you have to delve a bit to find these, they are in Derek's Arbroath photo's, number '7' in the 'Members Galleries' ... here .  My apologies if it's been mentioned before in this topic, I couldn't be bothered to trail all the way through to catch a cross reference.

Later next week I have a couple of cousins visiting me from Arbroath, I think they will be impressed with this Topic started by Aberbrothock, lot of memories from our childhood evoked here.   Especially waiting on Gravesend by the bridge over the stream for the Bus back to Inverkeilor - I'm sure it was there, though the road layouts seems to have changed a bit since the 1950's.  I have checked occasionally on my trips back there - mainly for funerals.

Thanks for your kind words re the layout and the thread.

The centre of Arbroath has indeed changed markedly over the years - I seem to remember that the Inner Ring Road was not universally welcomed, cutting the town in half as it does.

The other big change is the demise of so many of the town's industrial complexes - Giddings & Lewis Fraser, Francis Webster, Shanks, etc., etc.....

At least a lot of the railway station is still recognisable, and you can still just about trace the "linies" down to the harbour.

The "Shoppie" website is a wonderful source of info. and my late brother-in-law would have loved it, being brought up in Arbroath.

I like the area you have created behind the coal drops but don't think I would go there after midnight !  The pub is very good and you should really go and sample the actual place as then you can check if the dimentions are correct .

The area behind the North Signal Box has quite an atmosphere, and some extra detail would add even more.........

I was speaking to an Arbroath resident yesterday who said that the Station Bar is very busy and pretty noisy at times, but that shouldn't discourage a tasting and measuring session!

The area behind the North Signal Box has quite an atmosphere, and some extra detail would add even more.........

I was speaking to an Arbroath resident yesterday who said that the Station Bar is very busy and pretty noisy at times, but that shouldn't discourage a tasting and measuring session!

I was in Arbroath yesterday, and took some useful photos in the Dishlandtown Street area to help with the model, and also dropped a print of the photo of the Station Bar in at the bar.

It was quite surreal standing in the front bar looking through to the pool room and rear extension from the actual inside, having just finished the model of the outside.

I must return and take a couple of pics inside for the record.

It was fun to chat with some of the regulars who remembered the station and surrounding area in the past.

Latest building just about off the blocks is the quaintly numbered 6, 8, 8 1/2, and 10 Dishlandtown Street, Arbroath.

Quite a few properties in the area used to have "halves" as their address, but I think they are now more prosaically numbered with A's and B's.

post-21954-0-61899200-1461671047_thumb.jpg

It will reside beside the recently built chapel on the backscene behind the railway cutting at the south end of Arbroath station.

The chimneys are too clean and need to be sooted up, and I may tone down the pristine finish of the typical local red sandstone used in its construction.

My daughter likes the entry to the close or pend leading to the outside stairs to the upper floors, which thankfully don't need to be modelled!

• Like 3

Latest building just about off the blocks is the quaintly numbered 6, 8, 8 1/2, and 10 Dishlandtown Street, Arbroath.

Quite a few properties in the area used to have "halves" as their address, but I think they are now more prosaically numbered with A's and B's.

Think of the Federico Fellini film '8½' 

There was a Brook Street in Bishops Waltham (England),

a friend of mine called it that after the film in '63.  That place rocked.

PS - I think the models look great, the red sandstone certainly places it in Angus.

Edited by Penlan

I keep planting buildings on the layout without bedding them in properly, but it gives an impression of how the finished scene will look, and how much needs to be done to "fix" them in place............

post-21954-0-18033700-1461688881_thumb.jpg

There's a nice big - and relatively simple - garage workshop to fill in the space between the flats and the cutting wall which should do that section nicely - that'll be the next "job" then?

• Like 4

I recently received some wonderfully accurate etchings from York Modelmaking to replace the rather untidy canopy valances on my platforms.

The process basically involves stripping the old parts off and adding the new ones, but first I have to add the top and bottom mouldings to complete the valances.

I've done the easy part and now have to fabricate the replacements - progress so far is pictured below..........

post-21954-0-81786200-1461758968_thumb.jpg

(More to follow as progress is made).

• RMweb Premium

i keep meaning to pop in on this more often - when I do, it's always great to see how you are getting on.

your excellent modelling shows that a layout is sometimes not only about the trains/station, but also any distinctive buildings in the vicinity

Very fond memories of Arbroath from when i was younger, many visits on holiday to stay with relatives in Sidney Street, near the Abbey. Just as well that isn't too near to the station or you would have to model it! :)

Hi Ken, brilliant modelling as usual, especially the red sand stone building. So typical of the area. You are so prolific! I don't know where you find the time or patience.

Cheers Les

Hi Les - Thanks for your comments. Good to hear from you again.

Patience is fuelled by the inner flame that keeps me working away - it would be great to see an end to building in sight, but there are still so many jobs to be done and probably previous efforts to be discarded and improved that there is no chance of running out of inspiration - and it's great to get the positive feed-back that comes in so regularly, that the impetus is not going to be lost.

How is your shed coming along?

Kind regards   Ken

i keep meaning to pop in on this more often - when I do, it's always great to see how you are getting on.

your excellent modelling shows that a layout is sometimes not only about the trains/station, but also any distinctive buildings in the vicinity

Very fond memories of Arbroath from when i was younger, many visits on holiday to stay with relatives in Sidney Street, near the Abbey. Just as well that isn't too near to the station or you would have to model it! :)

The layout is seen as slice of the toonie, so everything in range is liable to be included, and it's so encouraging to be stirring so many memories.

Thanks  Ken

• Like 1

Made some progress on the replacement canopy valances yesterday, and fitted the assembled parts to the island platform canopy.

post-21954-0-30042600-1462110057_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-75318400-1462110081_thumb.jpg

Some fine reflections in the dining room worktop, but they serve to show how excellent the etches from York Modelmaking are.

There is still the paintwork to do plus the other canopy valances to assemble, fit, paint and complete.

• Like 2

Shed is slowly coming together. I've fitted smoke hoods(?) , support columns and some flooring (expensive!). Roof half slated. Inspired by your good self , I've just finished the windows and doors in the bothy. Just need to add some chimney outlets to shed, but as there are18 of them,might take some time!

Also two chimney stacks to bothy need doing.

Your station canopy is looking really good. I do like York products. I have their footbridge tucked away for when I'm bored! Ha,ha. It's not quite the one outside the shed but it'll do me.

Shed is slowly coming together. I've fitted smoke hoods(?) , support columns and some flooring (expensive!). Roof half slated. Inspired by your good self , I've just finished the windows and doors in the bothy. Just need to add some chimney outlets to shed, but as there are18 of them,might take some time!

Also two chimney stacks to bothy need doing.

Your station canopy is looking really good. I do like York products. I have their footbridge tucked away for when I'm bored! Ha,ha. It's not quite the one outside the shed but it'll do me.

Hi Les 

Good to hear of your progress - don't count the shed chimneys - just slog away, and hey presto! - they're finished!

The curved span lattice footbridge is very stylish, and I couldn't resist giving it a go, and am very pleased with the result, certainly much better than its old Airfix predecessor.

York Mod. do a very fine job, pricey, but worth it imo.

Thought I'd do a trial fitting of the island platform canopy which shows why the valances needed to be corrected - the difference is quite marked!

post-21954-0-00425800-1462361566_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-91668600-1462361589_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-38759700-1462361614_thumb.jpg

I'll need to call in the painters to cover all the stark white finish - and make a start on the other canopy..............

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

hi Ken , meant to send you a photo of my bothy last time, but it didn't work! So, here goes again. I've done a bit more scenic also, grass and sleeper fencing, as you can see (hopefully, if it transmits!)

Your canopies are looking great. Hope you're all well

Lespost-24654-0-25063200-1464891209.jpeg

Edited by Les Johnson

hi Ken , meant to send you a photo of my bothy last time, but it didn't work! So, here goes again. I've done a bit more scenic also, grass and sleeper fencing, as you can see (hopefully, if it transmits!)

Your canopies are looking great. Hope you're all well

Lesattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Les

Like the atmosphere created around your bothy - just right!

Hopefully no teddy bears were harmed in the making of your grassy bank.......

I've been having a modelling break over the last 3/4 weeks due to a visit to my sister-in-law in Hereford, (excellent journeys there and back via Haymarket and Crewe), a few days in Ninewells Hospital when the quacks were trying unsuccessfully to get a medication to clear my unhealthy chest, and culminating in a wonderful week touring the isle of Mull in glorious weather, (pity the railway to Torosay Castle has gone, though).

I'll need to get back to the assembly of the valances on the other canopy, and painting them suitably.

More pics to follow soon hopefully.

Ken

Hi Les

Like the atmosphere created around your bothy - just right!

Hopefully no teddy bears were harmed in the making of your grassy bank.......

I've been having a modelling break over the last 3/4 weeks due to a visit to my sister-in-law in Hereford, (excellent journeys there and back via Haymarket and Crewe), a few days in Ninewells Hospital when the quacks were trying unsuccessfully to get a medication to clear my unhealthy chest, and culminating in a wonderful week touring the isle of Mull in glorious weather, (pity the railway to Torosay Castle has gone, though).

I'll need to get back to the assembly of the valances on the other canopy, and painting them suitably.

More pics to follow soon hopefully.

Ken

Thanks Ken, sounds like you've had a good break, apart from your hospital stay!

Fortunately the bear came quietly. It was Roger de Courcy we had trouble with, but a single shot to the temple soon sorted him out!

A service to mankind, methinks!

Grass bank needs more trimming and colouring, and I haven't even started on ballasting and ground cover etc.

Justo e question, how many men would have been 'stationed' at the shed? Any idea?

Cheers Les

Thanks Ken, sounds like you've had a good break, apart from your hospital stay!

Fortunately the bear came quietly. It was Roger de Courcy we had trouble with, but a single shot to the temple soon sorted him out!

A service to mankind, methinks!

Grass bank needs more trimming and colouring, and I haven't even started on ballasting and ground cover etc.

Justo e question, how many men would have been 'stationed' at the shed? Any idea?

Cheers Les

In its heyday, with locos required for Dundee, Forfar/Guthrie and Montrose there could have been 10 to 12 drivers and firemen, plus a couple of cleaners and another couple or four fitters say max. 18 men, plus main and relief signalmen at St Vigeans Junction 'box , and also crew for station pilot and shunting duties - another two to four, and shunters for the main yard, old NBR North yard, coal yard behind the North signal box and harbour "linies" - maybe 25 in total - the mind boggles!

That's even before you get into the goods yard and office clerks, coal unloaders/deliverers and general goods delivery drivers and loaders........

In its heyday, with locos required for Dundee, Forfar/Guthrie and Montrose there could have been 10 to 12 drivers and firemen, plus a couple of cleaners and another couple or four fitters say max. 18 men, plus main and relief signalmen at St Vigeans Junction 'box , and also crew for station pilot and shunting duties - another two to four, and shunters for the main yard, old NBR North yard, coal yard behind the North signal box and harbour "linies" - maybe 25 in total - the mind boggles!

That's even before you get into the goods yard and office clerks, coal unloaders/deliverers and general goods delivery drivers and loaders........

Sorry Ken, I should have been more specific, but your answer's great.

Many thanks Les

Sorry Ken, I should have been more specific, but your answer's great.

Many thanks Les

My wife remembered Roger and his maddening bear Nookie - comedy is pretty subjective it seems........

There was an article in a local magazine about the busyness of the railway stations at Dundee giving some statistics on the numbers employed there which I'll try to copy and put on the thread - fascinating reading about a bygone age..

Not specific to Arbroath but it's my thread, and I should get away with it.

Ken

Roger de Courcy & The Bear, Nookie....

I saw them once (around 1988) at a 'Contractors' Dinner.  

Bernard Manning (He was the guest speaker the year before) was a soft toy compared with these two....

Nookie the bear didn't say a lot, but, the facial expressions said it all, if you were worldly enough.....

I doubt Roger would have used the same routine for something Aberbrothock's wife attended though.

Edited by Penlan

My wife remembered Roger and his maddening bear Nookie - comedy is pretty subjective it seems........

There was an article in a local magazine about the busyness of the railway stations at Dundee giving some statistics on the numbers employed there which I'll try to copy and put on the thread - fascinating reading about a bygone age..

Not specific to Arbroath but it's my thread, and I should get away with it.

Ken

Attached are the articles about Dundee West, East and The Dundee & Arbroath lines which go into some detail about traffic levels and staffing - good to see some local coverage, but of general interest too, showing how important the railways were before unfettered road competition spoiled the party.

post-21954-0-56633700-1465132236_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-28733700-1465132261_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-75219700-1465132285_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-95053600-1465132311_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-29415400-1465132336_thumb.jpg

Hopefully happy and enlightening reading.........

• Like 1

attachicon.gif6, 8, 8½, 10 Dishlandtown St, Arbroath.jpg

It will reside beside the recently built chapel on the backscene behind the railway cutting at the south end of Arbroath station.

The chimneys are too clean and need to be sooted up, and I may tone down the pristine finish of the typical local red sandstone used in its construction.

My daughter likes the entry to the close or pend leading to the outside stairs to the upper floors, which thankfully don't need to be modelled!

ah you mean these lovely atmospheric passages taken on a wander around the town last summer https://www.facebook.com/290113394502059/photos/a.319643578215707.1073741838.290113394502059/319903478189717/?type=3&theater

Been struggling a bit health-wise recently and haven't made much layout progress, but a group of us visited the Summerlee Heritage Centre at Coatbridge yesterday, and I acquired another couple of Bachmann cattle wagons.

I've assembled the fleet ready for their noisy occupants in the old cattle dock at Arbroath for your entertainment.

Please supply your own cattle noises to accompany the pics...........

post-21954-0-33492100-1465821743_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-27633100-1465821767_thumb.jpg

Not as good as Richard's at Thurso, but I do try.

• Like 1