Scratch built Ground Signals Mk2!!!

Well after finding out that the ground signals were the wrong shape, I've set about another one, this time using 40 thou" plastikard for the main face plate, and the same plastic tube for the lamps and the 1mm light bar.

Here is the basic structure, with the light bars fitted and smoothed all flush at the back.

post-14906-0-80523500-1410347821_thumb.jpg

I'll now get the Nano LED's glued onto the back of the face plate and then test them. I think I'll create some sort of structure with plastikard strip on the rear face, to act as a solid structure to eliminate the light bleed. I will still use Blutack to fill the area as well.

Jinty ;-)

And here is the reverse of the ground signal, with my last in stock Nano LED's glued to their respective 1mm light bars from the rear. I think some 1mm plastic rod will do as a solid break between the LED's coupled with the Blutack, it should stop the light bleed.

post-14906-0-71735700-1410355083_thumb.jpg

I'll be leaving this all to dry till tomorrow, I'll probably get on with producing the home made circuit board that it's wired to this evening. It fits just under the baseboard, where the wires come out, therefore normal layout wire can be soldered to it, and you don't have to be struggling, upside down, trying to hold those tiny wires, whilst you solder them up!!!!!

Maybe some more later

Jinty ;-)

And here is the basic circuit board for the ground signal.

I attach this to the underside of the baseboard, and the fine wires are soldered to it in the positions shown.

I've used 2 x 1k resistors in each circuit to try and dull the light down a bit, but I think I'm going to have to increase this as they still seem too bright!!! :sungum::sungum:

The positive feeds for the white/red switched LED's can be wired together as only one will ever be on at once. The positive feed for the constant white, is wired separately.

The positive feed prior to the resistors, has been looped for both the switched circuit and the constant circuit.

The green and the red wire should go to either side of the switch. And then on to the negative power feed. The constant negative feed is wired directly to the negative power source.

post-14906-0-60798400-1410381655_thumb.jpg

It can sound a bit complicated but it's as simple as wiring a point motor, the old fashioned 16V AC way!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Now what was I saying about wanting a 'Shark'? Popped into my local on the way home and acquired a few little treats :sungum: :mail:

One ZUV 'Shark' Ballast Brake in Olive. Not worried about the colour, as I've seen a picture somewhere on one in about '88 in olive but with yellow doors!!! :O I'll have to dig it out.

post-14906-0-25828400-1410457006_thumb.jpg

With the ZUV came a Fruit D in blue, and 2 x 'Grampus' in bauxite (which will be finished in 'Dutch' very quickly!!!)

Then there were these two little Ford D' series units and trailers......

post-14906-0-69600500-1410457020_thumb.jpg

And a small assortment of some of Arthur Daley's finest.......

post-14906-0-68610800-1410457031_thumb.jpg

I'll do the 'Grampus' as a little side job with everything else!!!!!!! :imsohappy: :imsohappy:

Jinty ;-)

Nice selection of goodies their Jinty, like the Shark in Olive green and also a lovely mix of cars.

Simon

Thanks Simon, but I would of thought the 'D' series tractor units would've got your attention more :imsohappy:

I've been pondering about the relative position of Wrexbury, on the imaginary map we modellers like to use, to justify/imagine where our layouts should be, as against the real world.

Here is mine. 8)

post-14906-0-57777200-1410548297_thumb.jpg

As mentioned at the very beginning of my thread, on the Welsh/Shropshire border. Wrexbury serves a fictitious market town that has grown quite large, with industry and housing. A short commute to Chester/Wolverhampton/Birmingham/Hereford, it has grown in population considerably. Berwen Quarry is about 6 miles to the north on a branch of its own, bringing stone traffic that reverses at Wrexbury.

To the south is Wrexbury Marsh, a smaller terminus but with quite a large industrial rail served area, and a freight only through line to the Cambrian line from Shrewsbury. Regulat DMU's serve Wrexbury Marsh as well as a 4 coach train (Mk1's) that runs to WM four times a day. W Marsh also has a small engineering siding complex.

Regular cross country trains use Wrexbury, from Bristol/Cardiff and Leeds/Manchester. A through service to the Capital twice a day and the regular DMU's to Chester/Wolverhampton/Crewe/Shrewsbury.

A daily Speedlink service utilises Wrexbury, and goods are moved on to W Marsh as well.

This is my 'sort of' history and reason for Wrexbury's existence. My next task, during the winter months, is to establish a sequence to work to, with set formations and marshalled formations, just with what stock I've got, it should be interesting!!!!

I mentioned above, a 4 coach local service that runs from Wrexbury to W Marsh, well this train was purchased today, in the form of Mk1's BSK, CK, SK and a BG (NAV) I had anyway, I'd spotted them yesterday when I picked up my wagons, etc, thought about it, and went back today!!!!!

Here is the Mk1 formation rolling into Wrexbury behind 37431. This service will be predominantly hauled by 37/31 locos, but anything could be pressed into service!!!!! It will also be a through running train, to Wolverhampton.

post-14906-0-67202600-1410549441_thumb.jpg

31105 slowly backs down to reverse the train to Wolverhampton....

post-14906-0-21324900-1410549458_thumb.jpg

And the train is seen leaving, taking the UP line as it leaves Wrexbury.....

post-14906-0-83958400-1410549475_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, the Grampus bodies have had their coat of grey, ready for the 'Dutch' stripe to be added tomorrow....... ;) :whistle:

post-14906-0-67678900-1410549689_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Any comments or suggestions to the above scenario are welcomed, as we can all overlook things, or not see things that are right in front of our noses. :derisive:

Thanks

Jinty ;-)

Wow very informative Jinty and the "British Rail" map is a real bonus as I can now see where you are, infact you're quite close to Pendeford. I really enjoy the scope of operations you've given yourself with a wide variety of stock and the scenery really plays it's part now, helping to paint a realistic picture.

All the best

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Yes it's quite close to Pendleford, you never know, workings could happen between the two locations!!! :O

What I did forget to mention is that Wrexbury Marsh is going to be built!!!

I have a space 16' x 2' 6" to play with, and I can get a loop in at 30" radius from the hidden sidings to the other side of the garage.

I'm also considering making it portable.

This will be next year, but the intention is to learn Templot and build all custom trackwork for it, soldered construction on copperclad, probably using Marcway materials. I'll be playing with a couple of kits over the winter. Templot is my biggest drawback at the moment, as I want to print off my own custom point templates!!!!! :paint:

Jinty ;-)

Looking great jinty keep it up

David

Thanks David,

Well I've got the yellow on the two Grampus wagons, and whilst the airbrush (and the yellow paint) was out, I attacked the Shark too!!!!!! 8) :imsohappy:

post-14906-0-73162200-1410636915_thumb.jpg

Transfers tomorrow and a good coat of varnish before the weathering commences! :paint:

And the Shark........

post-14906-0-90573700-1410636928_thumb.jpg

I'll tone those shiny blades down tomorrow as well........ :sungum:

Jinty ;-)

Lovely work on the wagons Jinty, juts out of interest where did you get your Grampus transfers from as I've got 2 off my own to deal with.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Modelmasters mine are from, although Fox do them as well.

Jinty ;-)

Nice work on the Grampus wagons, not the easiest thing to paint (says the person with 5 Parkside kits to be built!). Can I ask how you did the masking for the yellow line and got it so neat? I've also got a rake of Clam and Rudd wagons and after many failed attempts at painting I found a guy on here who does brass masking plates for dutch liveried wagons but not the Grampus :-( although I have got masks to try out on my other wagons in the future.

Those ground signals also look great, amazing how you got 3 lights into such a small space in a custom shell.

Mark

Nice work on the Grampus wagons, not the easiest thing to paint (says the person with 5 Parkside kits to be built!). Can I ask how you did the masking for the yellow line and got it so neat? I've also got a rake of Clam and Rudd wagons and after many failed attempts at painting I found a guy on here who does brass masking plates for dutch liveried wagons but not the Grampus :-( although I have got masks to try out on my other wagons in the future.

Those ground signals also look great, amazing how you got 3 lights into such a small space in a custom shell.

Mark

Hi Mark,

How's the Elboa?

The masking was done with just Tamaya 6mm masking tape. The Grampus has small raised areas on the edges of the doors, and I use the back of a pair of small scissors to push the masking tape into the corners, working from one end to the other. I also remove the masking about an hour or so after I've sprayed it, and always pull the tape 'into' the area painted.

Thanks for the comments on the Ground signals, the Nano LED's are only 1.6mm long, so it's not too difficult, you just take a 5 min break whe you go crosseyed!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

I agree with Simon, it's great to see the location on the map. I still have my map on the wall in the garage, I even marked on where Llanbourne would be but it faded so hardly notices now. 

Some of my Cardiff sevices could call into Wrexbury.

Grampus look good too I have a couple of Dapol models to add to my rake.

Cheers Peter.

As an adage to my comment above with regards to transfers.........

The Modelmates departmental pack (GP06), does not include ZBV Grampus Vac braked, only the ZBO Grampus unfitted.

Therefore I've had to finish these as ZBO's. No matter as engineering wagons were such a mix of types!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Cheers for that titbit Jinty, the two I've got (well one is on the layout the other is in the post) are both unfitted ZBOs so I'm a happy bunny now you've told me that  :locomotive: . Also in the post are a pack of Heljan Dogfish wagons to go with my own Shark plough van.+

Simon

Nice one, Pendeford is right in amongst it there isn't it?

With being 'on-call' today I couldn't get into much as inevitably if I'd started something intricate, the phone would've gone!!!!

So I've tried toning down the ground signal LED's a bit. This is with 2 x 1K resistors, in the positive circuit for each LED!!! I think it still needs a bit more, I'm thinking a gentle pass with a bit of weak black in the airbrush might do it!!!

post-14906-0-85033800-1410708956_thumb.jpg

I've also been playing around with the signal box lighting. I've ended up using one of the Express Models fluorescent LED's as they give off a slightly whiter light, but it is controllable with a rheostat that's built into the circuit board that it comes with.....

Here is a view from the front, that you can't see once it's in place.....

post-14906-0-27368400-1410708969_thumb.jpg

And here it is, in place, I think that this light is just right IMO, Obviously the box needs its painting finishing, and an interior fitting too

post-14906-0-23270300-1410708981_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, I've added some conduit around the cabinets and running towards the bridge.

Jinty ;-)

The Grampus and Shark have been attended to, just waiting for some Kadees and they'll be in service (oh and a load of ballast for the Grampus)!!!

one of the Grampus........

post-14906-0-84862000-1410879424_thumb.jpg

The Shark and Grampus.......

post-14906-0-19031800-1410879438_thumb.jpg

And 25052 sets back to collect them from the sidings.

post-14906-0-95297700-1410879450_thumb.jpg

25052 will be going into the classifieds this evening sometime, as I've got too many 'older' locos for the late 80's, I'll probably keep one 25, and finish it as 25912 "Tamworth Castle" in the full yellow end livery as it ran around N Wales in the late 80's, but the other 25 will be going in due course too.

Jinty ;-)

Archived