I've been having a few days reflection with regards to Wrexbury. There are some aspects of it that I'm not too happy with, these are based in the fundamental construction using MDF and softwood framing. I've noticed quite a considerable 'dip' in a number of places, such as the entrance to the Speedlink depot and the main platform roads. If I took a low shot of one of my coach rakes in the platform, it looks like a dogs leg!!! And that's with the MDF treated correctly with a sealer before being fitted, also, any holes that were drilled were coated the same!!! :stinker:

My thoughts are either, to persevere, fit extra bracing below, where I can, although it would be difficult with the station throat area as there are rather a lot of points!!!
My alternative is to move forward with Wrexbury Marsh, and once I get that up and running so I can at least play trains, I can re-build Wrexbury onto 9mm ply instead. That will also allow me to alter slightly, the configuration of the station throat, and to rectify some glaring errors. :butcher:

The depot and cutting area are not affected by all this as they are constructed with 9mm ply tops ;)(why the hell I ever went for MDF I don't know!!!). So they'll be able to stay, and the whole area will still have the same footprint.

I've already ordered the wood for Wrexbury Marsh, Well the base supporting frame that is, and the boards will be 4, 2'6" x 4' boards with 9mm ply and softwood construction. :imsohappy:

I think by typing this out, I've answered my own question :imsohappy:, but feedback would be appreciated.

On a lighter note, after a transfer from Tidworth (Thanks Ian), Wrexbury plays host to a couple of 158's. Hoping to streamline journeys from Wolverhampton and Cardiff, with faster turn around and more route availability. They will be working in conjunction with loco hauled stock, before anyone objects!!! They've got to be fitted out with lighting and a permanent coupling between them and have plugs and sockets fitted so as only one decoder will be needed for each pair.
158757 and 158791, sit side by side just outside Wrexbury.........

post-14906-0-81675500-1412171940_thumb.jpg

158791 sits in platform 2 awaiting departure. (You can just see the undulating track as it rises just in front of the unit!!)

post-14906-0-91209500-1412171952_thumb.jpg

158757 makes its way to the depot for a brief check over.......

post-14906-0-57079000-1412171965_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;-)

It will look better with a smokey near life expired Class 105 DMU passing by them new gleaming 158's  :locomotive:

Quote "My thoughts are either, to persevere, fit extra bracing below, where I can, although it would be difficult with the station throat area as there are rather a lot of points!!!
My alternative is to move forward with Wrexbury Marsh, and once I get that up and running so I can at least play trains, I can re-build Wrexbury onto 9mm ply instead. That will also allow me to alter slightly, the configuration of the station throat, and to rectify some glaring errors.  :butcher:

The depot and cutting area are not affected by all this as they are constructed with 9mm ply tops  ;)(why the hell I ever went for MDF I don't know!!!). So they'll be able to stay, and the whole area will still have the same footprint.

I've already ordered the wood for Wrexbury Marsh, Well the base supporting frame that is, and the boards will be 4, 2'6" x 4' boards with 9mm ply and softwood construction.  :imsohappy:

I think by typing this out, I've answered my own question  :imsohappy:, but feedback would be appreciated "Quote"

are you possibly being a little too critical ? the real railway has dips and discrepancies .. just watch any trains entering into the old bay platforms at Man Vic as a classic example.

Happy modelling

Craig.

It will look better with a smokey near life expired Class 105 DMU passing by them new gleaming 158's  :locomotive:

Yes it will look atmospheric at least, black clag!!!!!!! lol

I know what you're saying, but I've already found a bit of unreliability at the neck of the Speedlink depot, especially with the Kadees.

The real railway is bloody awful for dips and rises, it's a wonder anything runs!!!!!!!

I'm still pondering............

Jinty ;-)

If your kadees keep uncoupling I can see that being very annoying you could always attempt to correct the speedlink area if you are largely happy with that and always just reconstruct the station area if you want to replan the trackwork

David

If your kadees keep uncoupling I can see that being very annoying you could always attempt to correct the speedlink area if you are largely happy with that and always just reconstruct the station area if you want to replan the trackwork

David

Hi David,

The problem lies with the basic structure of the boards, I should of kept using 9mm ply!!!

From the wall where the line disappears to the TMD and the plate girder bridge crosses the main line, up to the end of the station area is MDF. I treated it with the proper sealer as well, but I started to notice some dipping during the summer, now the weather is starting to chill off and dampen a bit, it seems to be getting worse.

I will try and take some low photographs to try and explain what I mean. I would certainly rather do it before I do any more scenic work.

Thanks for the ideas though, it's appreciated.

Jinty ;-)

I'm becoming a post whore this evening with this one................ :O

OK here are a couple of photographs to try and give you some idea of the problem.

I've tried to use stock that has an even line on the side to give a reasonable representation.

Photo 1: low shot of a set of PWA's sitting on the neck of the Speedlink depot

post-14906-0-97402500-1412185989_thumb.jpg

And across the point the ballast has cracked with the movement of the wood....... :scared:

post-14906-0-10782600-1412186006_thumb.jpg

A low shot down the platform middle line. I should of used the Mk2 set as it's all blue/grey, but it gives you the idea, there are 2 x dips in the length of 6 coaches........

post-14906-0-62339400-1412186020_thumb.jpg

Answers on a postcard please.... :senile:

Jinty ;-)

Edited to say that if you look at the first picture, you can see the difference in the roofline of the RR class 31 and the first coach!!!

OK here are a couple of photographs to try and give you some idea of the problem.

I've tried to use stock that has an even line on the side to give a reasonable representation.

attachicon.gifWRX353.jpg

And across the point the ballast has cracked with the movement of the wood....... :scared:

attachicon.gifWRX354.jpg

A low shot down the platform middle line. I should of used the Mk2 set as it's all blue/grey, but it gives you the idea, there are 2 x dips in the length of 6 coaches........

attachicon.gifWRX355.jpg

Jinty ;-)

Edited to say that if you look at the first picture, you can see the difference in the roofline of the RR class 31 and the first coach!!!

What, is one of those ?..................

If you really aren't happy with it as it is quite wavey in those photos rather now than senicing the area and having to do it all again later on, but if your on a roll with wrexbury marsh get that to a place where your happy with that and go back and look at this area so you can manage as it is for now while marsh is up and running .... I think that makes sence

David

If you really aren't happy with it as it is quite wavey in those photos rather now than senicing the area and having to do it all again later on, but if your on a roll with wrexbury marsh get that to a place where your happy with that and go back and look at this area so you can manage as it is for now while marsh is up and running .... I think that makes sence

David

Thanks David, it makes sense to me ;-)

Jinty just saw this departing Pendeford Sidings for Berw en quarry , 8J34

15226337947_71e73e8c5b_k.jpg8J34 Pendeford Sdgs to Berw en quarry by bescotbeast, on Flickr

Berwen Quarry kicks out more than 1 Dogfish's worth of stone you know!!!!!

Good to see BR are investing in local services for the good people of Wrexbury

Yes and a major investment in infrastructure needed too!!!!!! :O

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

I think post whore is being a bit harsh on yourself maybe more of a tart. lol

Sorry to hear about your baseboards, I have had a problem with Llanbourne over the years but have sorted things out by adding extra legs and support. I am not sure if you will have the room to add legs to Wrexbury but as you haven't ballasted the station area yet it may be worth a bit of a rebuild with a new board.

Cheers Peter.

Hope you can sort out your base board problem Jinty :no:

Same from me as well Jinty, nothing worse than seeing all your hard work undone by a simple thing like water :stinker: . I hope you manage to solve this engineering challenge  :paint:

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you can sort out your base board problem Jinty :no:

Same from me as well Jinty, nothing worse than seeing all your hard work undone by a simple thing like water :stinker: . I hope you manage to solve this engineering challenge  :paint:

Simon

Thanks guys,

Yes it is a bit of a downer, but a couple of weeks of manic work, and a family issue to sort out, has given me time to think, and not make any rash decisions.

I have decided that the last 12' x 3' of Wrexbury will be ripped taken up, and the boards replaced with decent quality 9mm ply. The reason for this is that the station throat complex can be saved with a degree of support underneath. This is the part that has had scenery added, there is only a little bit of ballasting to be removed, right at the platform ends.

This work will be undertaken in the spring. In the meantime, I am going to go through my fleet and finish the locomotives and stock off as they should be, instead of just sticking a decoder in and running them!!! They will be weathered/detailed in a specific rota, that I've already drawn up. I need to organise myself.

Whilst this is going on, I am going to build the supporting framework, and the baseboards for Wrexbury Marsh, and I intend to be sat at the kitchen table during the winter nights building trackwork from Templot templates, so that track laying can commence in the spring as well.

I've also had the idea that I could re-locate the hidden sidings underneath Wrexbury Marsh, by way of a gentle incline 'up' on the branch and 'down' on the line to the hidden sidings. I will work on the idea to see if it's feasible.

I've drawn up a locomotive 'Works' list and will describe all this later.

Jinty ;-)

attachicon.gifWRX353.jpg

attachicon.gifWRX354.jpg

attachicon.gifWRX355.jpg

Jinty ;-)

Love the first picture.....

Hi Jinty,

I think post whore is being a bit harsh on yourself maybe more of a tart. lol

Sorry to hear about your baseboards, I have had a problem with Llanbourne over the years but have sorted things out by adding extra legs and support. I am not sure if you will have the room to add legs to Wrexbury but as you haven't ballasted the station area yet it may be worth a bit of a rebuild with a new board.

Cheers Peter.

from a serious post whore....I just love the pictures. :angel:

Thanks guys,

Yes it is a bit of a downer, but a couple of weeks of manic work, and a family issue to sort out, has given me time to think, and not make any rash decisions.

I have decided that the last 12' x 3' of Wrexbury will be ripped taken up, and the boards replaced with decent quality 9mm ply. The reason for this is that the station throat complex can be saved with a degree of support underneath. This is the part that has had scenery added, there is only a little bit of ballasting to be removed, right at the platform ends.

This work will be undertaken in the spring. In the meantime, I am going to go through my fleet and finish the locomotives and stock off as they should be, instead of just sticking a decoder in and running them!!! They will be weathered/detailed in a specific rota, that I've already drawn up. I need to organise myself.

Whilst this is going on, I am going to build the supporting framework, and the baseboards for Wrexbury Marsh, and I intend to be sat at the kitchen table during the winter nights building trackwork from Templot templates, so that track laying can commence in the spring as well.

I've also had the idea that I could re-locate the hidden sidings underneath Wrexbury Marsh, by way of a gentle incline 'up' on the branch and 'down' on the line to the hidden sidings. I will work on the idea to see if it's feasible.

I've drawn up a locomotive 'Works' list and will describe all this later.

Jinty ;-)

great plan, and looking forward to seeing all the stock coming off the production line. :)

Archived