• RMweb Gold

Hi Jinty good to have you back with updates! :)

I'm not very well up on the fancy homemade track but when I ordered some plastic fishplates from c&l last week the fella in the shop was really helpfull. Mine are just cosmetic but he was telling me the differences in the types. I think they do double sided fishplates (in plastic anyway) that can connect track without soldering etc, I think they must be in a H shape as you look down on the rail. I might be completely wrong though!! :O

The track looks great to mate :)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks David, Paul and Brian, comments are greatly appreciated, positive or not, as this is something completely new to me ;)

Thanks for the info Paul, yes I've seen the 'H' shaped fishplates, they do them both in brass and plastic, and they do the sides only as well.

Anyway, I've been hard at it (kid with new toys, la la la.........), and actually, it hasn't taken me long at all to knock the point together. I nearly got caught out as it is actually a Y point, the radius of the LH line as you look at the picture (from the heel of the point) is 2880mm and the radius of the RH side line is about 1470mm. I started using a straight edge and then noticed!!!!!

It's not perfect, but I've run numerous items of stock through it and they all pass through it with ease. All that's left to do is to trim the 'Heel' end and then devise a tiebar that's firm but insulated as well. C&L do one, but I'll have a go at making one myself first. Then to cut the electrical connections, I saw a nice idea of using a mini drill tiny sander to feather the gaps, may look a bit better. :imsohappy:

post-14906-0-00507700-1415216733_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72049600-1415216744_thumb.jpg

I will utilise the yard points to practice on first, before I let myself loose on the mainline points, as the crossovers are 690mm (28") long each!!!!!!!!

Need to order plenty of FB rail next and more copper clad, then it's away I go!!!!!!!!. Better get these boards built then I'll have somewhere to stick the track once I've built it :imsohappy:

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jaz,

Yes hopefully all the effort will be worth it, I'm not after perfection, just more flowing curves and pointwork.

No 66's, no they're a bit before my time period, I could maybe fit a 59 somewhere, but certainly no 66's

JInty ;-)

The track building is going ok, I've now done the second point, a touch larger than the first, and a Y point with two different radii.

Both points need their electrical gaps done and then it's a case of spraying them and having a look at them on the main plan, that I posted a couple of pages earlier, but re posted here to show their position.

post-14906-0-08799600-1415390551_thumb.jpg

Here are the two built points, placed together as they will go on the plan. The nearest point is 12" long (not including the adjacent plain track), and gives a rather nice sweep, which is exactly what I'm after. All stock I've tried runs smoothly through the two points, and there isn't any significant wheel drop on the frog of the longer point, which I'm surprised about!!!!!!!!!! :imsohappy:

post-14906-0-54494000-1415390565_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the first point, although it needs a good clean up, it will also look better once painted. :paint:

post-14906-0-08246600-1415390578_thumb.jpg

I've now run out of copper clad (on 2 points and a bit of plain track!!! :O), so next week I'm going to be ordering some FB rail and plenty more copper clad. I'll also get the first two boards assembled and joined together and some thick cork laid with the plan stuck on top!!!!.

Jinty ;-)

I took two BG's and placed them together on the points, even the Kadees coupled up with no problem!!!!

But this is what I'm trying to achieve, a smooth gentle flow, where stock isn't overhanging too much, more prototypical if you like!!!!!!

post-14906-0-77186600-1415398604_thumb.jpg

At this rate, I may be able to get away with Kadee No.19's instead of the 20's!!!! And some flexible corridor connections maybe too!!!!!!! These are about the sharpest two points on the whole trackplan, so hopefully I'll achieve what I've set out to.

Jinty ;-)

Looks really good Jinty. I think now you've gone down this route you won't want to go back to manufactured point work as your track work will visually flow so much better. I've never regretted going down this route and each point I build is better than the last but it did take me two goes to get the three way points right.

I've never regretted going down this route and each point I build is better than the last but it did take me two goes to get the three way points right.

Thanks Mullie, yes it is quite addictive, and you're right, the second point is better than the first, but I'm finding it really straight forward to do as well!!!!!! Strange as I've always thought of track building as being difficult.

As for 3-way's, I haven't mastered the dark art of those on Templot yet, let alone building one, But Wrexbury Marsh doesn't need one so I'm quite safe!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Great work on the points Jinty,

I am interested to see how you go with this as I am planning to build my own points for a little project myself. 

Will you be adding chairs to the points or leaving them as is?

Cheers Peter.

Will you be adding chairs to the points or leaving them as is?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

No I'm not looking (at this moment) to fit chairs, but the plain track is going to be C&L FB & BH with chairs. So I'll see how it looks and maybe I'll have to glue on plastic half chairs, I'm not sure yet.

I have looked at other layouts with hand built track and the lack of chairs is not so noticeable, as I've mentioned before, I'm not looking for perfection, more a flowing layout, where the points are made around the curves of the layout and not the layout made around the geometry of the point.

Nice work there Jinty :paint:im planning on making some of my own points for banks road... :scratchhead:

Thanks Neil,

I'm finding it good fun, and very inexpensive too!!!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Hey Jinty

I do like the points, I have to build some myself for the exit of my fiddle yard, only thing is there on a curve!! What size of copperclad do you use?

Hi 60059,

Thanks for the comment.

I use 4mm copper clad to match SMP from Marcway.

Curved points are quite easy to draw on Templot all you need are the radii and the dimensions (area that it fits into).

Jinty ;-)

Hi 60059,

Thanks for the comment.

I use 4mm copper clad to match SMP from Marcway.

Curved points are quite easy to draw on Templot all you need are the radii and the dimensions (area that it fits into).

Jinty ;-)

What depth of copperclad do you use I should have said? Yes i have already have a plan on templot, how difficult is it to bend the rail to a curve?

Hello Jintyman

I feel a bit ashamed how I've completely looked over this layout until now. Must be your signature as I thought it would be full of little black six wheeled tank engines! LOL.

Quite the opposite though, this is right up my street. Lovely layout with some superb looking rolling stock. What's not to like?

Off to read the other 22 pages now so I can fill up your notifications box even more. Shall definitely be following regularly now.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Marcus.

Must be your signature as I thought it would be full of little black six wheeled tank engines! LOL.

Hi Marcus,

Thank you very much.

Yes my sig would make you think of 3F's wouldn't it!!! Maybe I should of called myself Duffman or something.

The reason behind the moniker is I just love Jintys, sad I know and I've driven one too (only a short distance!!!! I also own a 7mm one that I built from a kit!!

Thanks again

Jinty ;-)

What depth of copperclad do you use I should have said? Yes i have already have a plan on templot, how difficult is it to bend the rail to a curve?

Sorry 60059, only just seen this post, the copperclad is about 1.5mm, just measured it by eye, I can't find my micrometer!!!!!

I just give it a tweaking to curve it just a little (the solder does the rest!!!), the BH rail is easy, although I'd imagine the FB rail would be harder.

Hope that helps

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Peter,

No I'm not looking (at this moment) to fit chairs, but the plain track is going to be C&L FB & BH with chairs. So I'll see how it looks and maybe I'll have to glue on plastic half chairs, I'm not sure yet.

I have looked at other layouts with hand built track and the lack of chairs is not so noticeable, as I've mentioned before, I'm not looking for perfection, more a flowing layout, where the points are made around the curves of the layout and not the layout made around the geometry of the point.

Thanks Neil,

I'm finding it good fun, and very inexpensive too!!!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

No worries Jinty,

As you say they still look good and your trackwork will flow so much better than the Peco points. 

Good luck with it mate, 

Cheers Peter

Archived