RMweb

Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

After 5 x n gauge weathered ones dropped through the letterbox at work, I must say these are the most detailed rtr n gauge stock I've seen to date. They don't disappoint and really are fantastic.

I just need to find a way to get them into the house without being caught again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 00 ones are stunners. That Dapol has managed to repeat that and present superb detail in N as well really raises the bar.

I can fully appreciate that the cost of individual weathering is prohibitive. The "spill" is visibly different on every wagon and therefore not sprayed on. Let's enjoy these as they seem destined to be a one-off opportunity. One more arrived here today (00, non-ECC) and there is a "wiped" one still expected to complete the dirty rake.

Superb workmanship and worth every penny of what might be looked upon as a hefty price tag.

I totally agree, having just unpacked the first of 5 I've ordered. These are by far the best rtr wagons I have seen - the detail is superb but the weathering is stunning!! A real shame this is likely to be our Bugetti Vaeron, never to be repeated.

Never mind, just glad I was able to get the opportunity to get these.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I really need to get some of these fantastic models at some point, hopefully there'll be another batch at some point.

Kernow and Dapol have already indicated that this is highly unlikely for the weathered ones. The cost is prohibitive. Given the extremely fast sellout of the clean ones and the fact that no additional manufacturing process is required there I guess there is always a chance .........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently production costs of the weathering has rocketed so much that Dapol can not justify the expense!

Having been astounded that the weathering was so cheap on the first batch and seeing it as still pretty reasonable on the second batch I would be interested to know what the forecast cost was. If you consider some companies are now offering individual wagon weathering at £12 upwards I don't think it would have been impractical to make say £10 or so more on a mass produced batch. As even the weathered ones seem to be selling so quickly, for 2 batches, is it that they think the market has now reached saturation and won't support such a price rise?

Being a lazy so and so I've now had 3 different wagons from the weathered batches by Dapol with the jna's soon to arrive, after a query on the style of weathering to Dave, I appreciate being able to pay a bit more to spend my time on other bits of layout building. Hopefully we may at least see a few more weathered wagon types even if these will be the last weathered bullets for the time being.

• 4 weeks later...

Postman delivered a big box this morning from Kernow rolleyes.gif obviously the partially weathered Silver Bullets have arrived - sadly as I was late for work had no time to look or check them over so that'll have to wait for a few hours angry.gif

Has anyone got any of the new batch - if so how do they look?? (I'm not the most patient of people lol) Looking forward to seeing them anyways biggrin.gif

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I know mine is on the way (just one, as that will complete a weathered rake for me) but as they take a little longer to reach me I can't yet say how good they look B) Suffice to say they they should be every bit as good as the previous batches and with the same concerns (if it bothers you) about the ladders. From the images on Kernow's site they appear to have been fully weathered then had the data and logo panels wiped clean while wet giving rectangular areas of an "almost clean" look against the rest of the fully-weathered finish.

Well managed to sneak home at lunchtime, as curiosity got the better of me and had a quick look at the partially weathered models. Initial impressions are a bit disappointing thosad.gif

I bought four (1 of each different running number) and the weathering (or removal of the weathering) is identical on all four. Also where the weathering has been removed there are very obvious finger/thumb prints on the a couple of the tanker sides dry.gif

I'll take them out for a good look over later, but overall a bit disappointed especially as all the other variants I've had have been superb! No doubt I can sort this and get the weathering/cleaning more random but at the moment they're not floating my boat sad.gif

Dave

Bought mine at Warley today and they look superb. The only finger prints on mine were the ones I made when I took it out of the box and they just rub off again. Not sure why you would be surprised to find them identical? There was nothing to suggest they would all be unique and they have had the pre-production pictures on their website for weeks now. As far as I can see the final one is identical to the pictures on their website?

When I asked on their stand they said these would be the last because of the price increases making them too expensive. They also had very few left so this batch looks like it may sell out as quickly as the previous ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I decided to bite the "bullet" and order 2 of the partially cleaned wagons from Kernow, I had really wanted the fully weathered ones but having missed out due to the speed at which they sold out went for a couple of these ones as they use to run on the WHL to Corpach so they are not out of place. I think they look really good as they come although one of them might get a little fresh dirt over the clean patches for some more variety to my fleet. Dapol have done a superb job on the finish of these and well done to Kernow for doing them. Yes there were some minor finger marks around the main barrel but a very slight wipe downwards with my finger cleaned it right off so not a really an issue at all. I put mine straight into service and the pictures show it on the back of a Mossend to Fort William service.

Many thanks,

Mark

post-6863-075034100 1291921142_thumb.jpg

post-6863-000354200 1291921162_thumb.jpg

I was lucky and managed to pre-order one of each from the very first batch, also bought two unbranded and two of the partially cleaned versions.

Weatheing is excellent, although I have one dissapointment, the NACCO transfer just doesn't look right without any weathering over it.

I also agree with the previous comments regarding the shiny cleaned areas, a bit of dry brushing to add some track dirt will make them look more realistic.

Fantastic wagons tho' :D

• 5 years later...

Heads up

Latest 4 just out and I'm 'aving a pair of the weathered ones to go with the originals cos at £25 a wagon they're still a bargain compared to certain other china clay wagons 

Crikey that was over 6 years ago and they were more expensive back then !  :O

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Reawakened topic due to new releases about to hit the shops it seems.  Available for pre-order at most of the big retailers.

These wagons continue to grace my layout with only a couple of ongoing minor niggles.  The Dapol coupler sits too low and also droops which is common to many of their items from the most expensive locomotive down and the side ladders are slightly out of gauge.

The coupler issue can be resolved with a little work.  I've experimented with Kadees which still sit too low and need the curved bar bent upwards to avoid fouling points and crossings.  I've tried the Hornby "Roco-style" coupler which also sits low but is designed to safely ride over anything in the "four foot".  And I've used the supplied loops which need the bottom 1mm of the hook clipped off with the Xurons again to avoid fouling and dramas.  Coupler height is an issue when running trains of mixed manufacture and type.

The side ladders can be brought back into line.  They can be persuaded with pliers or they can be rubbed back slightly with a file.  Or a bit of both.

These wagons remain among the most distinctive in recent years and popular when running on my layout in front of visitors.  The dirty ones still get gasps of awe at the weathering.

They are nice, particularly the weathered ones (which seems a shame in some ways, hiding the superb "chromed" finish). 

For the ladder issue, I remove them, clip off about 1mm from the solebar level lugs, then glue them back on. This makes them sit slightly nearer to vertical and gives the tiny bit of extra side clearance I need.

Answering rprogers' query from 2010 (post #344) - only 6 years late! -  I did weather one myself, and I don't think I did too bad a job on it.

WeatheredSilverBullet-endresult1_zps3de7

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Another re-awakening of this thread but have always admired these wagons and would love to purchase the latest batch from Dapol which have been just released.

My only question is would they still be prototypical on a layout modelled from 2012 onwards, I have done a bit of googling to find out but struggling to get a straight answer thus any advice would be most welcome on the time periods these were/are in active operation.

Cheers

Steve

Yes, although traffic is now with GBRf running as 6S94 normally 92 hauled north of London.

Many thanks for the info, really appreciated.

Yes seen pictures of the 92 on these workings but wasn't sure of the time period and also seen DB/EWS 66's hauling these wagons as well.