Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Craig

that explains how you were able to get so close still great pics. Does anyone know which/where the pipework connects?

Looking at the photos again there is no eveidence of the end platform or the side information board, so given that Dapol have modelled a different version it begs the question did Dapols version ever carry China Clay slurry, and could Dapol produce the TEA rom the same tooling?

Hi there, I'm a Signalman in the area who also covers the Mobile Operations Manager role so have PTS. This area is regularly patrolled for the clip cupboards we have there. I was there officially!

It's difficult to get close ups without being inside the complex or railway side, which I why I grabbed them when I did!

Oops didnt realise they weren't the correct wagons ohmy.gif

Never mind, wagons weather in similar ways anyway so they are useful for this project, as with others I appreciate the piccies.

Thanks again

Simon

Thanks Craig

that explains how you were able to get so close still great pics. Does anyone know which/where the pipework connects?

Looking at the photos again there is no eveidence of the end platform or the side information board, so given that Dapol have modelled a different version it begs the question did Dapols version ever carry China Clay slurry, and could Dapol produce the TEA rom the same tooling?

Yep, seee these here -

http://wagons.fotopic.net/c1496117.html

especially http://wagons.fotopic.net/p45887051.html which you can see the clay spillage in the crevasses.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Dapol modelled the older style of wagon probably because they cover a wider range of modern eras, They did carry slurry and would be seen behind 37's right up to date but, and this is only from observing the Quidhampton flow, the TEAs were only in use once the 66's had taken over. Also of note was that Eastleigh also used 67's for a while when they were spare following the loss of mail contracts.

Prototype inspiration for anyone who just fancies a single 'Silver Bullet'

Many thanks Simon for pointing out these excellent pictures:icon_thumbsup2:

Thsis reminds me of a piccie in one of my books, 'Class 50s in coilour' or something (am at work so not at hand) with a class 50 and 1 china clay hood wagon!! The classic short prototypical train.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Just wanted to say what a superb thread this is with loads of information, these must be a candidate for model of the year even at this early stage

Thsis reminds me of a piccie in one of my books, 'Class 50s in coilour' or something (am at work so not at hand) with a class 50 and 1 china clay hood wagon!! The classic short prototypical train.

Simon

Ok, time to correct things me thinks - It was actually 50018 'Resolution' with 2 china clay hoods! The book?-

'An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains' by John Vaughan - an excellent book for anybody interested in the topic!

Simon

Just to try and untangle, here's an update/expansion of a post I did on another thread, effectively in terms of the Cornish silver bullet flow there have been 3x generations of wagons involved, of which the Dapol one is the middle:

TIA - Original "silver bullet" tank (1989)

http://www.garethbayer.co.uk/wotw/displayimage.php?album=413&pos=2

ICA - Dapol's wagon (contrast to the TIA behind it in the pic - these were also circa 1989 built but not apparently used on the block train until the mid 1990s)

http://www.garethbayer.co.uk/wotw/displayimage.php?album=293&pos=13[/url]

TEA - Just to bring things up to date there was a 2003/04 build of brand new Imerys branded wagons which formed a third generation of silver bullets as seen in the earlier pics on the thread, the TIA had apparently moved on by this time but ICA could still be seen on the train mixed in with TEA and also working as standalone wagons.

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/p46201438.html

The original TIA tanks have a much gentler vee shaped body and no conventional solebar frame, the ones Dapol are doing have a chunkier looking heavily vee'd tank with a conventional solebar frame. There is no kit or RTR model of the TIAs or TEAs in any scale AFAIK.

ICA similar to Dapol's model (although with different branding) now work the version of the Irvine silver bullets that come through the tunnel from Holland, there are also flows within Scotland using the same ICAs. The ICA's also worked the Quidhampton flow before the modern TEA's (although back in the 80s there was a very random selection of other tanks on the duty!)

As for the weathered version, here's a selection of my pics including some of the ICA's in their latter years of working from the South West, I reckon the "brown plus splatter" effect is pretty accurate, certainly one of the more convincing RTR weathering jobs out there & much better than the usual orange blast!

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1638692.html

So in short, the real thing is not quite a go-anywhere-do-anything clay tank, but definately the most useful prototype to pick due to it's widespread usage, different paint schemes etc

• Like 2

Mmm can't wait for the N gauge ones to come along!

Now to justify them...would they ever be seen forming a portion in an EWS Enterprise coming out of the south west? I know the Imerys JIAs and Polybulks have worked in this fashion, but bullets leaving Cornwall seem to be in block trains according to photos, with Enterprise portions only seeming to appear in WCML shots, probably Wembley-Mossend

A few bullets would look nice with my scrap MBAs and TTAs as an enterprise working behind a shed or a tug

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

Don't know, but are those your STS Sittingbourne ones in the background?

They're my co-operators, Geof Sheppard and are converted Triang. We were trying out the slurry loading point. Unfortunately the Silver Bullet ladder fouled the platform so will cut the ladders off and replace with an etched one I've obtained from MSE.

• RMweb Premium

The clean ones arrived today and have been well worth the wait.

I hear the concerns about the ladder and the model not being exactly the right variant for the Burngullow - Irvine but what the ..... ? I and many others are modelling fictitous locations anyway. For my money they are superb representations and illustrate well the "step change" in quality that Dapol Dave was speaking of above.

Sure they're not perfect but nothing is. At the price I find them perfectly acceptable however and roll on the weathered ones in a few weeks time.

• RMweb Gold

I have to record my thanks here for this thread, I was not intending to get any of these wagons as I just thought "Irvine flow, block train, not feasible for my set up." But having learnt they could be seen in mixed flows, I will go ahead with a purchase wink.gif

Roll on the "Clay Tigers" smile.gif

Guest 838rapid

I am a bit dissappointed with the space between the wagons.

Therefore I have coupled mine up using the coupling bars from the Bachmann Liner wagons.

Seems to give them a closer coupling distance.

Has anyone else sorted a better idea for close coupling these wagons??

The ICA bullet frequently appeared solo in a block train of TEA wagons. This pic My link only the first wagon is a ICA the rest TEA.

In this pic the first wagon is a ICA the rest JIA (which Kernow are releasing).

The later TEA wagon differs from the ICA in it does not dip in the centre of the barrel.

Some pics of ICA wagons at Burngullow here, here and here.