Kingsley. see new thread = Swad Lane.

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

As usual some great discussions on various modelling points, talking of points I looked at the wire in tube method quite some time ago and found it was actually more expensive than the peco motors I eventually used. I think its down to mainly affordability in the end. 

Bachmann 20% rise!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are at the cutting edge, I knew nothing about it. Me thinks I'll stick with what I've got and use my 'disposable income' for scenic matters. It used to be known as 'Rip-off Britain' now its going to be 'Rip-off Anglo-Chinese'

I wish I was doing Shap looking at that Duchess, I can't really justify it as I have three already.

Jock was your Dad the one who did a 380 kit for the old 250 twin Honda? It strikes me as familiar somehow.

Mick, well recognised, I did the design drawings and dad had the kits produced under the 'Read Titan' banner. It was simply a set of liners and pistons from 'Hepolite' which, when the alloy barrell was bored accordingly, took the CB77 Honda from 305cc to 344cc. It could also be applied to the CB72 250cc but that required re-sizing the crank-case mouths as well as increasing the inlet ports and carbs by a few mm! Biggest claim to fame was winning the 500cc production class of the 'Thruxton 500' when it was run at Brands during the circuit rebuild in Hampshire. Beat the factory Triumphs, Dave's Croxford on a super tuned Velocette and many others with metronomic reliability. They were so pi**ed off that they got the stewards to make me strip it down for inspection, therefore robbing me of bar time! We won fair and square!! We also led the 'Race of the South at Brands with Derek Chatterton heading the works 350cc twin in the hands of Jim Redman - till the specially fitted Oldani front brake locked and threw him off. Lots of other add ons like hi-lift cams, bigger valves etc. were also available. I could prattle on for hours about this but must let the railway boys have some space. I just sold the converted CB77 in the photo, which I production raced, along with another to an enthusiast as my terminal cancer prohibits me from riding again. I came to have a dialogue with AndyP because he used to trial a 'Sammy Miller' Honda 125 with one of dad's 150 kits fitted! Hope that it's now clear as mud?

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• RMweb Premium

Mick, well recognised, I did the design drawings and dad had the kits produced under the 'Read Titan' banner. It was simply a set of liners and pistons from 'Hepolite' which, when the alloy barrell was bored accordingly, took the CB77 Honda from 305cc to 344cc. It could also be applied to the CB72 250cc but that required re-sizing the crank-case mouths as well as increasing the inlet ports and carbs by a few mm! Biggest claim to fame was winning the 500cc production class of the 'Thruxton 500' when it was run at Brands during the circuit rebuild in Hampshire. Beat the factory Triumphs, Dave's Croxford on a super tuned Velocette and many others with metronomic reliability. They were so pi**ed off that they got the stewards to make me strip it down for inspection, therefore robbing me of bar time! We won fair and square!! We also led the 'Race of the South at Brands with Derek Chatterton heading the works 350cc twin in the hands of Jim Redman - till the specially fitted Oldani front brake locked and threw him off. Lots of other add ons like hi-lift cams, bigger valves etc. were also available. I could prattle on for hours about this but must let the railway boys have some space. I just sold the converted CB77 in the photo, which I production raced, along with another to an enthusiast as my terminal cancer prohibits me from riding again. I came to have a dialogue with AndyP because he used to trial a 'Sammy Miller' Honda 125 with one of dad's 150 kits fitted! Hope that it's now clear as mud?

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Many happy hours we spent on it too I will write you a pm though as it was a long story.

Morning Bodgit,   Yes its bad news Bachmann putting their prices up, l think they are dear now, so l for one will be careful in what stock l buy from now on, but having said that how many locos do we really need for our layouts, l have got ten already for 'Ashcombe' and need some sort of diesel unit for the passenger duties, l think we all buy locos on a whim (me anyway)

PS.. Hows Kingsley anymore done ?

George

Evening George, no more at the moment, I've been a bit busy of late and some bloke wants me to go and sort out the C up he's made of his wiring so that's Sunday taken care of, hahhahha.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Bodgit,   Yes its bad news Bachmann putting their prices up, l think they are dear now, so l for one will be careful in what stock l buy from now on, but having said that how many locos do we really need for our layouts, l have got ten already for 'Ashcombe' and need some sort of diesel unit for the passenger duties, l think we all buy locos on a whim (me anyway)

PS.. Hows Kingsley anymore done ?

George

Certainly agree with you there, George! And the "problem" is compounded by our discussions on here - we gee ourselves up and then feel that we must have the latest Hornbach loco. Well, I do anyway.

I blame Bodge. And my goodness, how many times has he changed region and stock over the years?

Jeff

Certainly agree with you there, George! And the "problem" is compounded by our discussions on here - we gee ourselves up and then feel that we must have the latest Hornbach loco. Well, I do anyway.

I blame Bodge. And my goodness, how many times has he changed region and stock over the years?

Jeff

Ahh but Jeff, its all in the name of Research, :O  well that's what I tell my Bank Manager, :nono:  :nono:  (the good lady wife). :no: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Ahh but Jeff, its all in the name of Research, :O  well that's what I tell my Bank Manager, :nono:  :nono:  (the good lady wife). :no: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

I've heard a few excuses over the years. But "Research" is a new one on me. I like it!

Anyway Andy, you change your stock so frequently that Dee probably hasn't a clue what you've just bought!

Jeff

Your right and the good thing is she's NOT INTERESTED which is wonderful, I have my own money, so it doesn't come out of the joint account so everyone's a winner, especially the Model Shops :no: :no: :no: :no: . hhahaha

Got your own money? Should have tried that myself - apparently I'm such a soft 'touch' when it comes to children and grandchildren that SWMBO ( a fully qualified accounts person and book-keeper ) convinced me that it would be safer if she took total responsibility! When I was Mr MD, I used to joke about the perfect marriage - 'I earn it, she distributes it' !!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I see a flaw in Bodge's plan, Dee might notice that the things he buys look different. :scratchhead:  That is why I am a "Modern Image" modeller and stick to green diesels, they all look the same. :no:

Anyway Bodgit Watchers,

I went into the garage yesterday and noticed that Kingsley was looking very sad,

I asked what the problem was, and it replied that it had formed a hump and a sag.

I asked to have a look, and it said O.K.

The hump was across the middle of the two boards.

On further examination it appears that there is actually a hump in the same place in the middle of the two boards.

Now don't forget, these two boards were originally one board that I cut into two down the middle, so both boards have the same hump and therefore also a dip across the joint.

I have tried to pull it out but to no avail, and so I have been forced to give it up as a lost cause.

post-9335-0-72301500-1399139062_thumb.jpg

I have tried a packing piece but that doesn't seem to be much good either.

post-9335-0-10465200-1399139173_thumb.jpg

So last night I made the decision to remove the track and torch the offending timbers.

A friend has a built, but not completed layout for sale, and I have for the first time in my life taken the decision to buy a ready made Layout.

This will do two things,

firstly give me time to concentrate on TLGP after / if we move.

And secondly provide a ready made, but not finished Exhibition Layout for the future.

Pictures will follow very shortly.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bodge

Ugley is a pretty little village in Essex, between Bishops Stortford and Saffron Walden. It looks nothing like a North British D84xx. :dontknow:

Anyhow ask the average puffer nutter who still cannot accept the "Modern Image" and they will tell you all diesels look the same. :blind:

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr Peters

It is with some sadness that today I hear there will no longer be the prospect of a railway line returning to Bordon via Kingsley. I hope you are aware of the strain this will put on me and the men in my command. Our ears will be bleeding due to the damage caused by Sergeant Shoutalot trying to find them something to do because they cannot get home to see their loved ones. Do you have no sympathy for me.

Yours, very disgruntled

Lt Colonel La de Da hyphen Poshname

Rough Engineering Made Easy

Dear Mr Peters

It is with some sadness that today I hear there will no longer be the prospect of a railway line returning to Bordon via Kingsley. I hope you are aware of the strain this will put on me and the men in my command. Our ears will be bleeding due to the damage caused by Sergeant Shoutalot trying to find them something to do because they cannot get home to see their loved ones. Do you have no sympathy for me.

Yours, very disgruntled

Lt Colonel La de Da hyphen Poshname

Rough Engineering Made Easy

Fear not young man. for Kingsley WILL have a Station.

It has been moved nearer to the Barracks, into Swad Lane.

It now has all new facilities for 1990 including a Wagon Repair Workshop and a better Platform Shelter.

Kingsley, Swad Lane, is the new terminus for the Bordon Branch.

post-9335-0-77210400-1399141290_thumb.jpg

Andy, I'm really sad to hear of the demise of Kingsley - I've really enjoyed the 'journey', however I'm certain something equally entertaining is on the way! Please let us know the new name if you're ending this thread as I'd hate to miss anything!! Surely you're due some good luck soon?? Hope so, and wish you kind regards,

Jock67B.

PS just seen the update so not so worried now, J.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

That's not good.  Well at least you have managed to salvage the trackwork.

New thread or continue on this one?

P.S. Wrote this went off and had tea then posted.  The new layout looks good so far and I'm sure it will look great once you have done your scenic magic on it.

Cor Blimey Bodge

You don't hang about. The poorly layout hasn't the time to curl up and die and you have its replacement up and running. :O :o

Not quite RUNNING Clive, it needs a lot of work on the bits you cant see, things like a total re wire, (sounds like the Bungalow all over again) inter board connectors to do away with bolts and replace with over centre latches, Fit Kadee magnets, fir slow motion point motors if I can to replace the Peco ones, (not totally sure on that one yet), and many more little jobs.

GENTLEMEN I WOULD LIKE YOUR HONEST OPINION.

As I am NOT the builder of the new layout I feel it would be wrong of me to continue it under the Kingsley name.

Firstly if anyone reads the first couple of pages of Kingsley and flick to this page they would assume that I BUILT THE LAYOUT.

Secondly it will not be showing the actual work I need to do to make,  A, it work,

and B, it mine.

So do you think a new thread under Swad Lane would be more appropriate.

Archived