Not to be Moved signs

I'm sure someone will have a pic to prove me wrong but - weren't 'Not to be moved' signs usually placed on locos once they were inside the shed  - just a thought ?!? :sungum:

Usually, yes, so ordinarily you wouldn't have seen them. Locos outside in the yard could also occasionally be seen with them though. On the Southern region it wasn't unusual to see one fixed to a unit at London Bridge or Victoria if the fitters were working on a fault that didn't need the unit to return to depot. As far as I'm aware, there are some flashy magnetic LED signs in use today, but the most common kind were attached to a lamp bracket, as below seen on a Cl.455 in Selhurst New Shed. As for steam age signs, I have no clue, sorry!

post-17811-0-64908800-1393697689.jpg

13022011223.jpg

they are used outside, this one was in basford hall yard, the loco was sat on the fuel road awaiting attention

How do we know that's outside Jim? You've cropped it too much. It could be inside a shed that just has really bright light bulbs.  :blum:  Only joking. As Mickey says, I guess you could see them pretty much everywhere.

• RMweb Gold

i knew someone would pick up on the cropping, the actual reason i took the pic like that was it was around the time our very own "beast66606" was in hospital for whatever reason and also 'not to be moved'!

I'm seem to recall them being used at Birmingham New St when trains were being watered. So more than likely would be used anywhere such activities took place.

In fact I imagine them being used in any situation where moving a train is temporarily not a good idea.

Andy

When I was a trainee in the '90's we were all issued with a tag with our name on it. You clipped the tag to the sign from which it hung. You were only allowed to attach/remove the clip with your name on it. The board could only be removed once all tags were removed. Quite important if there were multiple people working on a train to make sure all were accounted for.

• RMweb Premium

When making the locos under repair for Hanging Hill I asked about "Not to be Moved" signs and was informed they were to be placed where a driver would see them, before entering the cab or from the driving position. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979-hanging-hill/?p=812922

4th photo.

Hi,

Yes I bought one of these,

Goods & Loco Depots - W Region. BRGLD/WR4.  £2.99

There are 6 signs in a pack, other regions are available.

I ordered mine on Wednesday afternoon and they came Thursday noon, a very good service.

Archived