Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

If only Hornby would see value in a newly-tooled Caley Single.

Might look something like this.

post-7929-0-01682500-1532119503_thumb.jpg

Actually it would be better with state-of-the-art lining.  Perhaps I should have put this in the 'Model that Hornby Could Make but Probably Won't'  :)

All inspired by a recent purchase...

post-7929-0-13271700-1532120452_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly not that common in good order. Could have chosen a fully lined version from a set but rather like the plain version.

Edited by robmcg

To my LMS/GWR eyes, the North Eastern Railway had some great designs. The large wheel 4-4-0's such as the D20 and the M in the NRM are about as beautiful as they come. The NER Atlantics too were the best and a lot less ungainly than anyone else's 4-4-2's.  But like many things, they are unlikely to be produced in mass by the RTR companies......and for good reason. 

• Like 1

To my LMS/GWR eyes, the North Eastern Railway had some great designs. The large wheel 4-4-0's such as the D20 and the M in the NRM are about as beautiful as they come. The NER Atlantics too were the best and a lot less ungainly than anyone else's 4-4-2's.  But like many things, they are unlikely to be produced in mass by the RTR companies......and for good reason. 

Ah yes I had forgotten the D20. And the M, and the Wordsell Brothers, compounding or not, jJoy vs Stephensons.  Great days of railway development.

I think the NER capacity for doing no-nonsense work is also praiseworthy. 

It's just that me mum was born in Guildford.

• Like 1

On the subject of the 1895 Great Race to the North, I have yet to receive books I have ordered on the subject, whatever happened to instant gratification?

I have however devised a picture which gives an idea of the look of the Caledonian Railway Single 123  if anyone made one to the standard of the Radido/NRM Stirling Single.

Also, and on the subject of desirable 4-4-0s, the engine from which the Single was derived in 1886, the '66' class 4-4-0.  I am not well supplied with knowledge about which exact locos were used where in the races, but I am guess in a Class 66 was used for the last leg of the West Coast run on 23 Aug 1895...  first the Caley Single.

post-7929-0-05845700-1532198486_thumb.jpg

Caledonian 123 as perhaps Hornby could do.

I used a pic of a Hornby T9 to create a likeness of a class 66 4-4-0, someone will tell me if it wasn't used in the 1895 races. In due course I will receive the two books on the subject which are on their way to me.

post-7929-0-20821100-1532198596_thumb.jpg

Of course Hornby have done other beautiful 4-4-0s.

post-7929-0-84012600-1532198708_thumb.jpg

One has to ask if anyone is quietly planning an SECR D class...  :)

• Like 2

Funny you should say that, as I put this forward as Hornby's best from the fine super detail down to the superbly sculptured wheel profiles....plus a spot of what comes naturally.......

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 6.jpg

Isn't there something missing, to do with valve operation?

post-7929-0-56181600-1532556549_thumb.jpg

I agree it's a very fine model!  

• RMweb Premium

No. the valve spindle is there although it may not be in line with the vacuum cylinder. It is missing off the current 'Grange'.

The valve spindle may be there but the reverser rod is missing.

No. the valve spindle is there although it may not be in line with the vacuum cylinder. It is missing off the current 'Grange'.

As Hilux said, the reversing rod is missing on your model Larry.    It is a very fine piece of RTR modelling in my view.  And yes on your model the vac cylinder is not in line with the spindle, as well.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Having got both of the current Granges, I can confirm they are missing the vac cylinder, but Aberforth Grange (R3552 GWR Shirtbutton) has the valve spindle, where as Llanvair Grange (R3452 BR Late Totem) does not.

Nothing a bit of modelling know how and styrene can't fix ;)

• Like 2

Something decent like a Camel or an S.E.5 perhaps?

At least not a B.E.2.....

I bet you're going to do a B.E.2C so the Fockker can pounce on it...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Here's the Airfix BE2C kit.

post-4032-0-97900100-1533116014_thumb.jpg

Very detailed mouldings

post-4032-0-46920000-1533116143_thumb.jpg

Not sure this shows too well but the fabric texture is very well done.

post-4032-0-88234700-1533116418_thumb.jpg

And well printed waterslide transfers.  While their new kits are a high standard imho,  older kits that now have much better transfer markings supplied look better as well.  Think that's also where Hornby have succeeded over the  years with upgrading older railway stock with a better finish as well as brand new mouldings.

Anyway, re  Hornby's best models - new Airfix kits have certainly raised the modelling bar.

Edited by railroadbill

Hroth   mentioned Camel and Se5a. Here are 2    I made earlier.

post-4032-0-62888700-1533117707_thumb.jpg

Made these several years ago, they are Revell kits 1:72 kits.  Didn't rig them as  I wasn't sure I could get a fine enough wire to be taut enough. (I'm now wondering about handrail wire). I think these are probably the same mouldings as kits  I made as a teenager! However, like Airfix, the markings are now a much better quality, Revell's are printed by Cartograf in Italy.

There's been a lot of controversy about the shade  RFC green (or brown) colours, actually were. (PC-10 spec). Rather like discussions about GWR/BR green.

I mixed up a green shade based on various published research and colours of aircraft in museums etc.  I airbrushed this  as part of my on-going "how to get airbrush to work properly" research.   :-)

When I assembled the Camel I needed a little bit of touch-up paint. Having used up the original mix, :-(   it took ages to get to a similar shade.

All finished, I discovered that the colour I had produced was exactly the same as Tamiya olive drab....

There's a moral here somewhere.

So if I do another RFC WW1 fighter I know what paint to easily use!

post-4032-0-62888700-1533117707_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hroth   mentioned Camel and Se5a. Here are 2    I made earlier.

attachicon.gifP1300877ed.jpg

Made these several years ago, they are Revell kits 1:72 kits.  Didn't rig them as  I wasn't sure I could get a fine enough wire to be taut enough. (I'm now wondering about handrail wire). I think these are probably the same mouldings as kits  I made as a teenager! However, like Airfix, the markings are now a much better quality, Revell's are printed by Cartograf in Italy.

There's been a lot of controversy about the shade  RFC green (or brown) colours, actually were. (PC-10 spec). Rather like discussions about GWR/BR green.

I mixed up a green shade based on various published research and colours of aircraft in museums etc.  I airbrushed this  as part of my on-going "how to get airbrush to work properly" research.   :-)

When I assembled the Camel I needed a little bit of touch-up paint. Having used up the original mix, :-(   it took ages to get to a similar shade.

All finished, I discovered that the colour I had produced was exactly the same as Tamiya olive drab....

There's a moral here somewhere.

So if I do another RFC WW1 fighter I know what paint to easily use!

I used 0.1mm diameter nylon jewelers wire for the rigging on the Eindecker - which worked a treat.

I may well go up to 1/48th for my next WW1 plane, as Eduard do a fantastic Bristol F2.B Fighter