Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I would love one for my collection but the moulded handrails all over the locomotive and tender put me off from ever buying one

Isn’t the tender identical to the ones the A3’s and A4’s hauled? A body swap should simple enough

I will buy one, one day. But I fear it'll never look as good in my mind's eye as it does in that image Rob...sigh.

C6T.

Quite hard to find the full-fat R3207 version these days, let alone the R3440 full-fat gloss version, they are around, but not cheap.  Or maybe I have become Scrooge-like in my dotage. Actually the R3171 Railroad version looks pretty good as in this version weathered by James Mower.

post-7929-0-90011800-1536702452_thumb.jpg

picture edited.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

I am in two minds about which of the Hornby P2 engines is the better value, excluding the R3246 TTS version, same to look at as the full-fat R3207, and also excluding the glossy R3440 ...   

For me it is between the basic R3171 version with simplified paint at UKP79-85 or the R3207 with a lot of lining and details picked out, and better script, typically over UKP100 s/h.. 

post-7929-0-79725900-1536718815.jpg

post-7929-0-74625900-1536718864_thumb.jpg

With the fully-lined version you get accessories and a better box,  Not sure if the apple green is a tad darker too.

Still, I bought a Rails weathered one some time ago, maybe on the odd occasion this loco actually did get grimy?

post-7929-0-64820200-1536719100_thumb.jpg

and I did have a R3207 which I photographed, but then sold...  thinking they would always be cheap....

post-7929-0-42097400-1536719431_thumb.jpg

and now, being something of a collector I rather wish I hadn't. !

On the other hand, I photo-edited a R3171...  and you cannot really tell the difference.  

post-7929-0-43289800-1536719573_thumb.jpg

See the dilemmas we face?    

One more for luck... a R3207

post-7929-0-25992400-1536719787_thumb.jpg

photos edited, naturally, cheers.

• Like 7

I read a lot here about the visual shortcomings of “design clever” models but the major disaster (in my view) was the chassis. Inconsistent motors: some were good, some in the same production model were awful and the addition of a flywheel didn’t improve them. Added to this were inadequate bearing surfaces for the axles. If Hornby does produce another verson of the P2, I hope that it will ride on a decent revised chassis and be driven by a decent motor. 

I am in two minds about which of the Hornby P2 engines is the better value, excluding the R3246 TTS version, same to look at as the full-fat R3207, and also excluding the glossy R3440 ...

For me it is between the basic R3171 version with simplified paint at UKP79-85 or the R3207 with a lot of lining and details picked out, and better script, typically over UKP100 s/h..

2001_P2_R3171-HX02_3314418_Qty1_1abcd.jpg

2001_P2_R3207-PO04_3435099_Qty1_1abcdef.jpg

With the fully-lined version you get accessories and a better box, Not sure if the apple green is a tad darker too.

Still, I bought a Rails weathered one some time ago, maybe on the odd occasion this loco actually did get grimy?

2001_P2_Gresley_portrait_4abc_crop1_r1200.jpg

and I did have a R3207 which I photographed, but then sold... thinking they would always be cheap....

2001_P2_portrait_Gresley_CotN_105abcd_r1200.jpg

and now, being something of a collector I rather wish I hadn't. !

On the other hand, I photo-edited a R3171... and you cannot really tell the difference.

2001_1_shed_4abcdef_crop2_r1200.jpg

See the dilemmas we face?

One more for luck... a R3207

2001_P2_portrait_CotN_16abc_crop1_r1200.jpg

photos edited, naturally, cheers.

Gotta be the fully lined one really, ain't it? A browse of t'interweb pulled up offerings around £120 which seems more than reasonable. For what'll to all intents and purposes be a cabinet trinket though, I'd settle for a dirt cheap non-runner. And if Mr. Decorum is to be believed, I've no reason to doubt him btw, there must be some out there!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite hard to find the full-fat R3207 version these days, let alone the R3440 full-fat gloss version, they are around, but not cheap.  Or maybe I have become Scrooge-like in my dotage. Actually the R3171 Railroad version looks pretty good as in this version weathered by James Mower.

attachicon.gif2001_speed_LNER_P2_1abcdefg_r1200.jpg

picture edited.

The smoke effect on that is fantastic..

How long before Hornby tool up for something like this?

In doing the pic I realised how much needs to be changed from the original 2001 so I doubt it will happen. boiler sides, cutoff lever, and the obvious frontal changes, lubricators, and more.

post-7929-0-87981500-1536874128_thumb.jpg

1938 rebuilt 2001 ?

post-7929-0-18127400-1536874698_thumb.jpg

This is by no means a finished pic but it's a lot of fun.

cheers 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

...1938 rebuilt 2001 ? This is by no means a finished pic but it's a lot of fun...

One of the six 'final thoughts' versions for me anyway. (In late crest BR green with 9MT on the cab side sheets) I am prepared to wait for the P2 to go into operation, and then get its front end shape modified to what the LNER decided was the better idea. They didn't do this at random, but because it provided superior exhaust clearance to maintain better crew look out, a learning from the A4s. 

(I find it curious of the A1 trust that having gone the technically sound route on the A1, take the best of the final design status and improve from there, with the P2 they have started from a known less than satisfactory point. Why not commence from the point which development had taken the design to?

One of the six 'final thoughts' versions for me anyway. (In late crest BR green with 9MT on the cab side sheets) I am prepared to wait for the P2 to go into operation, and then get its front end shape modified to what the LNER decided was the better idea. They didn't do this at random, but because it provided superior exhaust clearance to maintain better crew look out, a learning from the A4s. 

(I find it curious of the A1 trust that having gone the technically sound route on the A1, take the best of the final design status and improve from there, with the P2 they have started from a known less than satisfactory point. Why not commence from the point which development had taken the design to?

I found it very curious too. The “Tornado people” have achieved wonders and seem to be gathering speed by producing the first completed new build project and catching the public imagination. In contrast, the project to build a new Cock o’ the North with the A4 front end seems to have got a bit stuck after producing the frames.

I don't know why they prefer the less satisfactory original shape (smoke-clearance-wise)...   I don't know what valve gear they are using , rotary cam like the originals?  stepped or infinitely-variable?   Similar to the Duke maybe?  Or Walschaert's?

I don't know why they prefer the less satisfactory original shape (smoke-clearance-wise)...   I don't know what valve gear they are using , rotary cam like the originals?  stepped or infinitely-variable?   Similar to the Duke maybe?  Or Walschaert's?

Logically, they should use the same gear that has proved a success on DoG, as this was in the line of  development from Doncaster's search for something better than the Walschaerts/Gresley derived gear set up standard on all the pre-Thompson three cylinder designs. Edit. Now gone for a quick check on the status of the P2 build: what will hopefully prove a good decision, they intend to use the Franklin B development of the Lentz gear applied on one of the AT&SF 2900 class 4-8-4s. The soft exhaust that will often occur because of the very small cut offs that this gear makes possible, combined with the low back pressure of the Kylchap ejector, are going to make exhaust clearance a very real issue.

While it is possible that current aerodynamic modelling technique may be able to secure better performance from a form that looks much as the two first P2s, the likely cheapest development path is to go directly to the proven Bugatti form as finally applied to all six of the class, and see what improvement offers from there... (The prejudice against using the Bugatti treatment appears to revolve around having the P2 look distinctively different from the A4. Well, handsome is as a handsome does, form should follow function, and anyone able to count beyond three will be able to 'spot the difference' in an instant..)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

What one might describe as a "Minimalist Inglenook/Shunting Plank"...

Its main drawback is how crowded it gets with all eight of my ex-LMS Portholes on it....

Its main advantage is that it can accommodate this....

post-7929-0-20921500-1537035756_thumb.jpg

Which is Rivarossi ...  about as close as I am getting to new Hornby recently  .

are there any Nelsons in the shops yet I wonder? edit; oh dear Jan 2019.....  ah well. 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Logically, they should use the same gear that has proved a success on DoG, as this was in the line of  development from Doncaster's search for something better than the Walschaerts/Gresley derived gear set up standard on all the pre-Thompson three cylinder designs. Edit. Now gone for a quick check on the status of the P2 build: what will hopefully prove a good decision, they intend to use the Franklin B development of the Lentz gear applied on one of the AT&SF 2900 class 4-8-4s. The soft exhaust that will often occur because of the very small cut offs that this gear makes possible, combined with the low back pressure of the Kylchap ejector, are going to make exhaust clearance a very real issue.

While it is possible that current aerodynamic modelling technique may be able to secure better performance from a form that looks much as the two first P2s, the likely cheapest development path is to go directly to the proven Bugatti form as finally applied to all six of the class, and see what improvement offers from there... (The prejudice against using the Bugatti treatment appears to revolve around having the P2 look distinctively different from the A4. Well, handsome is as a handsome does, form should follow function, and anyone able to count beyond three will be able to 'spot the difference' in an instant..)

Thanks for that. I imagined that a version of the DoG valve gear might be adopted, but as you say this might cause exhaust clearance issues. 

Then of course some will say that Lentz gear on a Bugatti front was never original..  but  I have no doubt Sr Nigel would have done it in a flash.

All this GWR stuff has gone to my head.  I must be getting fussy in my dotage but I have found the new Bachmann Atlantics less than engaging, looking at the Oct 2018 magazine pics, and have just bought another Collett King class instead, at I must say a considerably lower price than an Atlantic...

I blame the Heljan 47XX which has thin-flanged front wheels, cheese-cutter flanges are a pet gripe for me.  Others I suspect have different things which grate...   no puns please. 

and I so like the look of the 47XX.   But mostly it's because I am fickle and prone to change. If I did buy another Atlantic it would probably be an Ivatt in GNR or LNER livery.

So a win for Hornby selling another King.  I'm sure there are people out there who have cupboards full of cheap Kings and B17s.  :)

cheers