Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Nice Steve.

I think you need one of these mate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362258401392

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, something like that would be good.  Although I seem to have bodged it with the drill for now.  But I was thinking of getting one of these before I do any more - similar idea:

https://www.hamodels.net/axlebox-bearing-cutting-tool-for-4mm-wagons-coaches.html

I don't know whether one would be better than the other?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve.

Yes mate that's the one we have in the EMGS stores. It's a bit cheaper than that at £14.95 plus postage but next time I put in an order I'm quite happy to tag it on for you.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Steve.

Yes mate that's the one we have in the EMGS stores. It's a bit cheaper than that at £14.95 plus postage but next time I put in an order I'm quite happy to tag it on for you.

Regards Lez.

Les, that's very kind of you, I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful but please don't bother as I was thinking of ordering some other stuff from H&A's at the same time - their web site is full of goodies!😊  

Good to know it's "EMGS Approved", though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Roger that!

No worries mate. I haven't bothered about one myself as I mostly build stock from kits rather than converting RTR so I don't need to use one of those tools as I open out the holes whilst the part is flat on the bench. There is another way to seat pin point bearings. You just heat the bearing with a clean soldering iron as you push it into place and it will just seat down nicely. I've done it many times without distorting the moulding. If you do it like that It's best to use waisted bearings or the one's without the flanges.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

You just heat the bearing with a clean soldering iron as you push it into place and it will just seat down nicely. I've done it many times without distorting the moulding.

I've read of that but never been brave enough to try it!  Don't think I'll start with £60 coaches, but might practice on some scrap Dapol wagon u/fs or something .... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 31A said:

Thanks Lez, something like that would be good.  Although I seem to have bodged it with the drill for now.  But I was thinking of getting one of these before I do any more - similar idea:

https://www.hamodels.net/axlebox-bearing-cutting-tool-for-4mm-wagons-coaches.html

I don't know whether one would be better than the other?

Recommended tool, very good design, works excellently!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those truck tuners must be some good because every time I try to buy one they're OOS.   That said, like Steve, I've managed with a 2mm drill up to now.

You just heat the bearing with a clean soldering iron as you push it into place and it will just seat down nicely

This.  I use the smallest tip on my soldering station and switch it off before I start pressing bearings in, but up to now I've not had any catastrophes.  Transforms some wagons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Great pic's, but is it the 'Right' green ???😂😂

manna

Controversial!  With double chimney and smoke deflectors, yes??  Then again, corridor tender....

I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of that one, but I felt privileged to be able to watch it today.  I probably first saw it about 60 years ago.  I remember my father saying I had seen it before it was preserved, as it was sometimes on the stopping trains that we used to see at Biggleswade.  To a five year old then, all I really remember is big black engines and with hindsight I would have thought probably B1s, but could equally well have been filthy A3s I suppose.  I do remember seeing it at Peterborough soon after Alan Pegler bought it, which was my first sight of a loco in Apple Green and I was surprised by how light a colour it was, only having seen black & white photos of LNER locos up till then.

Anyway, just grateful to Alan Pegler and those that came after him and now the NRM that we are still able to enjoy seeing one of the best looking engines ever built (IMHO!), still working on the main line!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

Controversial!  With double chimney and smoke deflectors, yes??  Then again, corridor tender....

I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of that one, but I felt privileged to be able to watch it today.  I probably first saw it about 60 years ago.  I remember my father saying I had seen it before it was preserved, as it was sometimes on the stopping trains that we used to see at Biggleswade.  To a five year old then, all I really remember is big black engines and with hindsight I would have thought probably B1s, but could equally well have been filthy A3s I suppose.  I do remember seeing it at Peterborough soon after Alan Pegler bought it, which was my first sight of a loco in Apple Green and I was surprised by how light a colour it was, only having seen black & white photos of LNER locos up till then.

Anyway, just grateful to Alan Pegler and those that came after him and now the NRM that we are still able to enjoy seeing one of the best looking engines ever built (IMHO!), still working on the main line!

I cycled from Mill Hill to Hadley Wood to see it in about 1970 but it never turned up, so the first actual time was in about 1973 at Kensington Olympia (where I also won a Capital 539 t-shirt in a competition (yes I've still got it and no it doesn't still fit).

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw it at Botany bay Crossing (just made it due to the road being jammed with Cars).  Accelerating fairly gently due to fire risk. It is as I would have seen it before it was bought out in 1963 (but now beautifully clean and smelling wonderful). The place was stuffed with folk out to see it. Ordinary folk too and they don't care if the Green is  'that' Green or it has that Tender. 

I've seen it many times at or around Retford and it almost always stops going North (for Water). I saw it once going south and it was really moving and superb. My only moan is the feeble Whistle; wish they would Tune it!

It's a classic salute to a wonderful Centenarian and Donny was absolutely rammed including the Free Press Photographer, due to it's popularity. 

Thanks for posting these Steve. 

Made my day too.

Phil

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've never actually seen it up close - let alone ridden behind it - but I always remember sitting cursing in stationery traffic along the Thames embankment one day years ago, rolling my eyes in frustration and - looking up through the windscreen - seeing it gliding slowly along the raised line on its way out of Victoria. My wife had her head buried in a book and our then very small daughter was strapped into the back seat and by the time I'd made them aware, the loco was pretty much out of sight.

We'd taken that route at that time against advice (ok, yes, against my wife's advice!) only to get caught in heavy traffic, so I was able to point out that we shouldn't have see the Scotsman had we taken a different route. I was very excited. How impressed were they? Take a guess... 🙄

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

G'Day Folks

Three great pics, but in each pic, the Green is different, which made me make the comment, I've only seen the 'Scotsman' twice (that I know of) spotted around Kings Cross/Wood Green in the late 50's and early 60's I'm sure I saw 60103 at Wood Green, and then again at the Stockton150 cavalcade in 1975, I think I got two pics of it in Apple Green, I'll have a look for them, but I had my eyes on the C2 Atlantic....

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Three great pics, but in each pic, the Green is different, which made me make the comment, I've only seen the 'Scotsman' twice (that I know of) spotted around Kings Cross/Wood Green in the late 50's and early 60's I'm sure I saw 60103 at Wood Green, and then again at the Stockton150 cavalcade in 1975, I think I got two pics of it in Apple Green, I'll have a look for them, but I had my eyes on the C2 Atlantic....

manna

Oh I see what you mean!  I thought you were saying, should it be Apple or Swindon Green?  Well I took the pictures all within a few minutes of each other.  The sky had darkened more by the time I took the third one; at that point the train was being dragged backwards into Holgate Sidings by the West Coast Railway diesel on the rear (hence Scotsman in in mid gear).

Scotsman has had so many alterations since preservation that there's not really any 'right' livery, but in some ways I think it would be nice if they'd restore her to the condition she was in when Alan Pegler first had her restored, with single chimney and LNER Green.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Oh I see what you mean!  I thought you were saying, should it be Apple or Swindon Green?  Well I took the pictures all within a few minutes of each other.  The sky had darkened more by the time I took the third one; at that point the train was being dragged backwards into Holgate Sidings by the West Coast Railway diesel on the rear (hence Scotsman in in mid gear).

Scotsman has had so many alterations since preservation that there's not really any 'right' livery, but in some ways I think it would be nice if they'd restore her to the condition she was in when Alan Pegler first had her restored, with single chimney and LNER Green.

G'Day Folks

Sorry for the confusion, don't normally go in for controversy, just a bit of light hearted of 'What the heck'.....

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Sorry for the confusion, don't normally go in for controversy, just a bit of light hearted of 'What the heck'.....

manna

Not controversial at all Manna, at least not with me - more 'thought provoking' perhaps ....  Thanks for the comments!

• Like 4

Reading the comments about FS, I need to consider myself rather fortunate.  My Father took me to see her at the old Market Overton preservation site in 1974.  I got a cab ride.  Not bad for a 5 year old.  

In 1983, she ran three consecutive Sundays along the ECML and we were lineside for each occasion.  

In the mid 90’s 60103 spent a period of time at the Nene Valley.  As a Volunteer Guard, I spent much of my time working trains with her on the front.  On at least two occasions, we had to add two additional carriages to the seven vehicle rake to cope with demand. Also managed another cab ride as a round trip.

Finally, whilst working as a MOM on the ECML, I would dread her being around.  Too many folk, thinking they had the devine right to go anyway lineside to take a photo.  However, if I was on duty and a water stop was required, I would be about.  My last interaction was a week day positioning move, (just loco and support coach), sitting on the footplate drinking a mug of tea, whilst the crew were having breakfast.  I had the cab all to myself.  One of the crew knew me and was aware that I can look after a steam loco!

Good to see the latest images, but I look forward to seeing FS as an Apple Green LNER A3.

Paul

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Reading the comments about FS, I need to consider myself rather fortunate.  My Father took me to see her at the old Market Overton preservation site in 1974.  I got a cab ride.  Not bad for a 5 year old.  

In 1983, she ran three consecutive Sundays along the ECML and we were lineside for each occasion.  

In the mid 90’s 60103 spent a period of time at the Nene Valley.  As a Volunteer Guard, I spent much of my time working trains with her on the front.  On at least two occasions, we had to add two additional carriages to the seven vehicle rake to cope with demand. Also managed another cab ride as a round trip.

Finally, whilst working as a MOM on the ECML, I would dread her being around.  Too many folk, thinking they had the devine right to go anyway lineside to take a photo.  However, if I was on duty and a water stop was required, I would be about.  My last interaction was a week day positioning move, (just loco and support coach), sitting on the footplate drinking a mug of tea, whilst the crew were having breakfast.  I had the cab all to myself.  One of the crew knew me and was aware that I can look after a steam loco!

Good to see the latest images, but I look forward to seeing FS as an Apple Green LNER A3.

Paul

Paul,

I can top that early experience. 70 years ago (plus about 2 months) my paternal Grandfather - then a signalman at Westwood Junction Box - took my Father and me over the ramped footbridge into New England loco yard to see FS at the Coaling Tower. We were invited up into the cab (with my pushchair) for a ride round two sides of the reversing triangle, with me sat on the drivers lap and gripping the regulator handle while he used me as a lever extension. I'll be 73 in just over 2 weeks.

Much as I have a soft spot for FS, my favourite from the same era (1923) is LU's Bo-Bo Loco 12 "Sarah Siddons" (Metropolitan-Vickers) - which is still owned by the direct successors of its original owners. But, I have had much more professional involvement with "Sarah S".

Regards

Chris H 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Paul,

I can top that early experience. 70 years ago (plus about 2 months) my paternal Grandfather - then a signalman at Westwood Junction Box - took my Father and me over the ramped footbridge into New England loco yard to see FS at the Coaling Tower. We were invited up into the cab (with my pushchair) for a ride round two sides of the reversing triangle, with me sat on the drivers lap and gripping the regulator handle while he used me as a lever extension. I'll be 73 in just over 2 weeks.

Much as I have a soft spot for FS, my favourite from the same era (1923) is LU's Bo-Bo Loco 12 "Sarah Siddons" (Metropolitan-Vickers) - which is still owned by the direct successors of its original owners. But, I have had much more professional involvement with "Sarah S".

Regards

Chris H 

My first encounter with Sarah was when she brought the repainted 4-SUB 4732 to Brighton for our open day in 1983, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Brighton line electrification. A lovely and, in her present guise, very sophisticated loco.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

My first encounter with Sarah was when she brought the repainted 4-SUB 4732 to Brighton for our open day in 1983, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Brighton line electrification. A lovely and, in her present guise, very sophisticated loco.

The good thing about the plain bearings on the axle sleeves was that we could easily convert 4 rail to/from 3 rail with running rail return at Durnsford Road Depot following a Battery Loco powered transfer from Lillie Bridge Depot. Nowadays there are axle end brushes for return current - but you still need to isolate her to drop the bottom parts of the negative shoegear and swap the return dropleads between terminals.

Running with the 4SUB or 2BIL units was allowed as there was no fear of "Sarah S" getting gapped in an awkward spot. Otherwise you needed an accompanying loco - Class 20s are useful!

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

The good thing about the plain bearings on the axle sleeves was that we could easily convert 4 rail to/from 3 rail with running rail return at Durnsford Road Depot following a Battery Loco powered transfer from Lillie Bridge Depot. Nowadays there are axle end brushes for return current - but you still need to isolate her to drop the bottom parts of the negative shoegear and swap the return dropleads between terminals.

Running with the 4SUB or 2BIL units was allowed as there was no fear of "Sarah S" getting gapped in an awkward spot. Otherwise you needed an accompanying loco - Class 20s are useful!

Regards

Chris H

2090 wasn't allowed to run on its own, not because of gapping but because it only had one set of equipment. It invariably ran in multiple with 4732.

Anyway, better stop now as none of that has much to do with Finsbury Square!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here’s one I made earlier……SS and 4732 at Mill Rd Patcham.

https://zenfolio.page.link/CctPu

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3